Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Scratches On Instrument Panel!

Adam786

Since i have bought the car the plastic covering that literally stops you from touching the speedo and tachometer is kinds scratched at the bottom. I dont know whether this is because someone has previously fiddled the mileage or scratched it with some keys or something by using it as a storage place!

But i want to know how to remove this piece and buy a new one!

Mine is scratched as well. Since its plastic it will get scratched easily when you clean it. Having said that, I had older cars before and it looked better.

However when Optitron lights up I don't see any scrtaches anymore so if I were you I wouldn't bother replacing it. May be that it only comes as a whole instrument cluster?

Mine is scratched as well. Since its plastic it will get scratched easily when you clean it. Having said that, I had older cars before and it looked better.

However when Optitron lights up I don't see any scrtaches anymore so if I were you I wouldn't bother replacing it. May be that it only comes as a whole instrument cluster?

Kind of true as it will be an expensive fix. However i have one really deep scratch in the center which is not very visible when the dials are lit up but the light does shine accross the groove of the scratch creating an annoying line!

Are your scratches really visible in daylight when the optitron display is off? Mine are? Just wondering whether im in the same boat as other owners :)

Yes, they are clearly visible with the dials off and in the sunlight, especially in the bottom section.

I would suggest yout try to polish it (it's what I used to do when I was a kid to cheap watch screens made of plastic :) ).

You can either use some kind of polish or cheapest toothpaste and thick piece of cloth :)

I'd guess this was caused by a previous owner putting their lighter there. Sliding across the plastic and scratching it every time they turned the wheel.

Guys...

I dont think you'll find a SINGLE Corolla that doesnt have any scratches on the instrument panel...its made of cheap plastic that scratches very easy indeed...it can defo be replaced by removing the cluster and clipping off the front panel...but where are you going to find one that is'nt damaged...a dealer stealer wont be worth your while mate!

You could try polishing it with a plastic scratch remover paste and a microfibre cloth...

Let us know how you get on...

Regards...Sammy

Thanks for the advice guys I shall take up polishing as my option!

I dont want to pay ridiculous amounts for a new cluster and then see it get scratched again! :)

Me too,since I have had the car from new is must be me that is to blame. Only used Windolene and a cloth on it but still have scratches on the bottom inch of the plastic screen. Must scratch very very easily. Probably cost an arm and a leg to replace. Worried about using an abrasive cleaner that just might make it worse. Suggest you try a tiny bit first.

Seeing as nearly every owner encounters this particular problem! Has anyone used anything to try get rid of it. As said before i dont want to make it worst and could do with some advice :rolleyes:

Don't know about the Corolla but I was researching this for the 4.3 RAV4 and the clear lens for the instrument cluster is only about $20 USD. Officially it's referred to as GLASS, COMBINATION METER even though it's plastic. To replace, snap off the trim surround, remove the lens, and snap the new one into place--no tools required. I just checked on a Corolla and it's about the same price.

lol this will sound strange but try either lemon pledge or even brasso, ive used them to clean the scratches from goggles :thumbsup: rub it for a few mins and then buff it off when dry

You could use turtlewax glass and plastic restorer I used this with a buffer on my headlights and they came up like new.

Also check out Simichrome polish--made in Germany and it comes in a tube. Very popular with bikers for polishing motorcycle windscreens and/or helmet visors.

Simichrome

• 2 weeks later...

You could use turtlewax glass and plastic restorer I used this with a buffer on my headlights and they came up like new.

Sorry for digging the thread out. Was after this glasa dn plastic restorer. Can't seem to be able to find it. Is it still available? Any clues?

Sorry for digging the thread out. Was after this glasa dn plastic restorer. Can't seem to be able to find it. Is it still available? Any clues?

I havent still had a chance on restoring the instrument panel, However there is a product called ''Xerapol scratch remover'' also. I may try the turtlewax as the xerapol is very expensive!

I was told that pilots use brasso to buff out scratches on their perspex windscreens.

Try it out on a small bit first though!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links