Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Advise On Quick Shift/ Short Shift Kits

Dr. Jackal

Hi guys,

I'm a new member and seeking for some advise regarding a corolla T sport. I bought a standard 2005 (facelift) model recently and I want to make the gear changes a bit more enjoyable. I did some research on this forum and found out about TRD and TWM short shift kits. I understand that the TRD kit is quite straight forward in terms of installation but does it reduce the throw by say 40% like the TWM kit?

Can I expect EP3 civic type R kind of gear changes after this modification or am I asking too much lol? Are there any other (good) short shift kits available for this model?

Thanks

I have the MWR (monkeywrenchracing) shifter and it's goooood. Not as short as TWM as that's the shortest but this is ample and cheap too, all bushing replaced swell

My gear changes feel a lot better than a CTR as I drove a mates the other night :thumbsup:

I have the MWR (monkeywrenchracing) shifter and it's goooood. Not as short as TWM as that's the shortest but this is ample and cheap too, all bushing replaced swell

My gear changes feel a lot better than a CTR as I drove a mates the other night :thumbsup:

Thanks Bridges. Have you tried the TRD and TWM ones as well? Which one do you prefer/recommend if the cost is not an issue? I presume the MWR kit is quite similar to the TWM kit? ie a bit complicated to install compared to the TRD one.

everyone is probably fed up of me but get some tints on those windows! :P imo looks much better with them, especially that one since it is the same colour as my car :)

Have you considered the TTE quick shift?

I don't have a CTS, but it's the same for all versions. Much quicker gear change (the site says 25% improvement but I think its more than that), much more stable and firm.

Check this link (go to the bottom of the page).

http://www.trc-tuning.com/_products/_toyota_lexus/_corolla/_e12/_corolla_e12_engine.htm

Thanks for the link madvinegar. Is the TTE kit an official toyota kit?

It would be great to hear from someone who has tried all three...

Thanks for the link madvinegar. Is the TTE kit an official toyota kit?

Since TTE means Toyota Team Europe, I suppose that the kit must be an official Toyota kit... I think...

I phoned my local toyota dealer and asked about the TTE quick shift. They quoted me £ 260.86. Is it worth the price? more expensive than the TRD kit.

The website I gave you is selling it for Euro 143 !!! (i.e. about GBP 125!).

Here in Greece you get it (from a TOYOTA dealer) for euro 170.

I think you local toyota dealer is ripping you off...

It uses the stock housing, but is a bit shorter than the TRD iirc.

The is a short shifter for sale in the sale section om here.

The basebush is included with the MWR kit right? Did you replace the cable bushings as well? From where did you buy them?

I've tried all three ;) Had the TTE in my previous corolla, and it was shorter, but quite stiff.

The TWM is the shortest, but also the stiffest. Depends what you use the car for I suppose, because it would be perfect for drag racing. Very short shifts, but daily driving can be a bit of a pain. If you find it really stiff then a weighted gearknob will help counter it.

I have the TRD now which I personally prefer. Although it has the least reduced throw, it is easier to shift and I find it suits my driving style. It is also the easiest to install, but tbh I didn't find the other's too bad.

Depends on the individual I guess, but I think whichever one you go for will give you more precise shifting.

However, I wouldn't say it would be better than an EP3 lol. IMO there is nothing you can really do to get the gear changes of a civic, but installing a short shifter will bring you close ;)

Hope this helps,

Chris :thumbsup:

I've tried all three ;) Had the TTE in my previous corolla, and it was shorter, but quite stiff.

The TWM is the shortest, but also the stiffest. Depends what you use the car for I suppose, because it would be perfect for drag racing. Very short shifts, but daily driving can be a bit of a pain. If you find it really stiff then a weighted gearknob will help counter it.

I have the TRD now which I personally prefer. Although it has the least reduced throw, it is easier to shift and I find it suits my driving style. It is also the easiest to install, but tbh I didn't find the other's too bad.

Depends on the individual I guess, but I think whichever one you go for will give you more precise shifting.

However, I wouldn't say it would be better than an EP3 lol. IMO there is nothing you can really do to get the gear changes of a civic, but installing a short shifter will bring you close ;)

Hope this helps,

Chris :thumbsup:

Many thanks for your informative write up Chris. I won't be drag racing or take it to the track. It's my everyday car and I enjoy driving it on A & B roads and just want to make the gear changes a bit "slick" & precise. I think the TRD kit will be suitable for my needs so I will probably get one of them.

Thanks everyone. :thumbsup:

The basebush is included with the MWR kit right? Did you replace the cable bushings as well? From where did you buy them?

Nah didn't do the cable bushings but they are available on MWR :thumbsup:

youd be better off skipping changing the washers, moving up to solid bearings on the linkages rather than the rubber bushes.