Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Poor Fuel Economy Rav T180 !

SMH13

Hello

Is this Car expected to do anymore than 26.6 MPG ??

Mine won't !

Any Tips appreciated.

Many Thanks

:crybaby:

I also have a T180 and at the worst I get 27mpg at the best 36mpg well thats going by the readout on the dash.It's the price you pay for having the quickest model,wouldnt swap mine I love it;just wish something could be sorted with these run flats.

I average 31mpg I'm afraid it's normal :0

Michelin....there is a souloution to the run flats. See other posts

Have you cleaned your EGR valves?? I also popped some Greased Lightning fuel additive in with my last fill up. It has increased my average fuel use (daily drive to work) from 33mpg to 38mpg. thats according the the readout on the dash anyway. I have done 320 miles and still have over 1/4 a tank left so its deffo increased my mpg

Hello

Is this Car expected to do anymore than 26.6 MPG ??

Mine won't !

Any Tips appreciated.

Many Thanks

:crybaby:

Let me make your day:

"I commute over a vareity of roads 72 miles daily. I get 27.4 mpg now, which is better than it was 6 months ago.... but I don't drive anywhere slowly. You could probably get 30-32 if you were careful. Out on a thrash the other night, got around 14mpg, but we were at redline nearly the whole drive...."

"At 1000 miles I'm getting 22 mpg driving it to work and back"

Reasonable, eh? Well....................

I have just copied and pasted this from another forum. The car referred to? The Mini (MCS variant apparently - Its low small and has runflat tyres so I can't bend the joints to get in it and would not contemplate those tyres on country roads anyway so don't ask me to know much about Minis).

So what does this prove? Yes, you have a bit of a gas guzzler but yours is bigger that theirs. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Stand tall, my friend! :toast:

Mike D

We have only had our T180 1 week an are averaging 32mpg which is pretty good in my mind considering how much grunt it has & the mpg is very similar to our previous 4x4 - a Nissan X-Trail dCi which only had 136bhp and far less torque.

To be fair I am very impressed with how it drives overall & how it accelerates in 6th gear - probably not far off my Honda S2000 which is pretty much half the weight of the RAV & has 240bhp.

The manufactures figures as usually a pile of poo - Nissan reckoned the X-Trail would do 41.5mpg extra urban. We never got any more than about 32mpg even on a long motorway run sat at 70mph. Running around town it was doing similar mpg to my S2000, so we actually seem better off with the T180 :D

To be fair I am very impressed with how it drives overall & how it accelerates in 6th gear - probably not far off my Honda S2000 which is pretty much half the weight of the RAV & has 240bhp.

Hi blue monster,

Hope you don't mind me asking, but just wondering what you mean by "how it accelerates in 6th gear"?

Okay, to be clear I am not talking about sticking it in to 6th at 50mph and trying to boot it from there - maybe I should have stated this in my original post.

When I recently took our T180 for a blast around Oulton Park I was travelling at 70mph in 6th gear, put my foot down and within no time I was doing warp speed.

IMO very good acceleration for a vehicle that weighs 2 tonnes.

The last 2 tank fills on my T180 gave me 41.16 mpg & 38.48 mpg.It is possible,depends on how much of a rush you are in.Always fill it with Shell VPower,that helps.

I also have a T180 and at the worst I get 27mpg at the best 36mpg well thats going by the readout on the dash.It's the price you pay for having the quickest model,wouldnt swap mine I love it;just wish something could be sorted with these run flats.

Good point, think tyres will be the next thing ! :unsure:

:thumbsup: Thanks for your replies, good to know I'm not alone ... I do love the T180 too.

Fuel additive? Is it worth doing?

That made me chuckle about the mini :D

• 4 months later...

We've got a T180 and this has been driving me NUTS since we got it. The figures quoted on auto trader were 33.6 urban and 46.3 extra urban so i expected at least 35mpg.

We currently get 29.something mpg and despite me clearing the EGR valve out a month or so ago this doesn't seem to have made much more than half a mpg difference really. Admittedly the wife who drives it is a bit heavy with the right foot but when i'm in i make sure to change gear around 2000 rpm and drive very conservatively to see if i can improve the mpg but doesn't seem to make much difference at all. And yes i do reset the counter from time to time. Most of our driving is short trips or around 5 or 6 miles with some traffic lights and mostly 30 to 50mph roads.

So the next step might be to try that Grease Lightning fuel additive if i can find it. Any more tips appreciated.

We've got a T180 and this has been driving me NUTS since we got it. The figures quoted on auto trader were 33.6 urban and 46.3 extra urban so i expected at least 35mpg.

We currently get 29.something mpg and despite me clearing the EGR valve out a month or so ago this doesn't seem to have made much more than half a mpg difference really. Admittedly the wife who drives it is a bit heavy with the right foot but when i'm in i make sure to change gear around 2000 rpm and drive very conservatively to see if i can improve the mpg but doesn't seem to make much difference at all. And yes i do reset the counter from time to time. Most of our driving is short trips or around 5 or 6 miles with some traffic lights and mostly 30 to 50mph roads.

So the next step might be to try that Grease Lightning fuel additive if i can find it. Any more tips appreciated.

If most of your trips are so short the engine is rarely going to reach optimium operating temperature and you will be doing a lot of start ups that use up a considerable amount of fuel for no miles.

What do you get on a run of say 200 miles?

Could try increasing the tyre pressures by a few PSI, but quite a few people have found the T180 really likes 'super diesels' like Shell V-Power and Total Excellenium.

It does cost a fair bit more tho' so not sure if the extra economy will be offset by the extra cost!

I have a feeling the DPF clogging might also be a big cause of the reduced economy...

hey mate

how many miles do you get to a tank?? My trip computer seems pretty accurate and when i fill tank to the brim it says I got 400 miles or so and I do. My trip gauuge seems to vary quite a bit but lately its showing around 45 mpg on long runs. 30-35 on shorter ones. Never had it into the 20s... I think a lot of it may be your short runs. Try the Greased Lightning. i dont think you will be dissapointed. Some on E Bay. link below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Greased-Lightning-Fuel-Treatment-clean-your-engine-/380349901458?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item588e9eea92

Excellent suggestions but sorry, what is the DPF? We run on Shell Diesel but i've tried their V-Power diesel and didn't notice any difference in economy or speed for that matter as its pretty quick either way. Perhaps i'll increase tyres a few psi and use that grease lightning stuff then report back. I think after filling up the trip estimates 330 miles approx. Thats from memory though.

A summary of the posts on this topic and i've found by digging around report the following mpg with the T180:

SMH13 = 26.6

Michelin = 27 to 36

bluevortex = 31

wardude = 38

blue monster = 32

monitor lizard = 38 and 41

Hi reset my mpg thingy last week when we left Inverness. 5 hours later when I got home it was saying 45mpg averaged. I have just got back from a 12 mile round trip to town. Again i reset it and on returning today it says 32mpg avg.

I get around 30 - 32 mpg. When comparing mpg you have to take into account what is on the car etc. I have side steps, roof bars and more often that not a tow ball mounted bike carrier which is not that light. My Air con is always on. I had a problem a few months back and only returning about 24 mpg!!. Used the greased lightning and been getting 30- 32 ever since, Even got up to 38 until I put the foot down !!

I'm sure that I have probably mentioned this before but with Kingo's chip kit we seen a good improvement in MPG. We are seeing at least 420 miles to a tank of juice vs 320-330ish.

Trip computer is reading 41/42 MPG as average and we have seen up to 49.6 when driving with a very gentle right foot on a long run.

With the miles that we do and the price of fuel at the moment we reckon the chip kit will pay for itself in around 6 months then we are quids in thumbsup.gif

DPF is the diesel particulate filter, which is now fitted to pretty much all modern filters.

It captures soot particles in the exhaust and like any filter can eventually get blocked, causing more and more exhaust back-pressure.

Normally the engine management should detect when it's getting blocked and squirt some fuel into the exhaust to burn it all off, but it usually only does this when you're ploughing along at motorway speeds.

I'm sure that I have probably mentioned this before but with Kingo's chip kit we seen a good improvement in MPG. We are seeing at least 420 miles to a tank of juice vs 320-330ish.

Trip computer is reading 41/42 MPG as average and we have seen up to 49.6 when driving with a very gentle right foot on a long run.

With the miles that we do and the price of fuel at the moment we reckon the chip kit will pay for itself in around 6 months then we are quids in thumbsup.gif

Indeed You are Mate and that's without considering the residual value of the unit itself. The big plus point is that with an external plug in type box is that its removed in just a few minutes. I saw how Big kev has installed His one ... Nice ,,,

A quick question RE price on these units.. Looking at the website ( Lindops) it seems the cost of the unit is 375 quid inc VAT and delivery ?? Is this right ?? Do We forum Members get a discount off this price ???

Wee Charlie.

Indeed You are Mate and that's without considering the residual value of the unit itself. The big plus point is that with an external plug in type box is that its removed in just a few minutes. I saw how Big kev has installed His one ... Nice ,,,

A quick question RE price on these units.. Looking at the website ( Lindops) it seems the cost of the unit is 375 quid inc VAT and delivery ?? Is this right ?? Do We forum Members get a discount off this price ???

Wee Charlie.

Naw, Charlie....to qualify for a discount ye need to be Scottish, under 6ft 3ins, and never have owned a Jaguar Motor Vehicle.....you fail MISERABLY on all counts....

Hamish McKingo, cousin of Parts King..... :yahoo:

Does being slim light and handsome qualify Me for that discount Mate ????................ :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Wee Charlie...

:

But have you actually done a brim to brim check to confirm those figures? :unsure: Stew

Gotta agree with Stewpot here, Blue.....my last two brim/brim tests showed 32/34 respectively, but in the main these based on relatively short journey stuff. I have almost come to ignore the trip meter in t'car. Did not dare do any brim/brim checks on recent return trips to That England Place....the police would have had trouble keeping up, so I presume my mpg would have been mingin'.....that's when the relaxed cruising and overtaking of The Kingo Chip REALLY kicks in though.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links