Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Never Get More Then 300Miles From Full Tanks!

badboy88

Hi Everyones.

I read some of the topic about how many MPG you lots get from the Avgo and its really surprice me when I heard you lots can get over 50mpg or even 60 mpg !!!

I only get about 40mpg and only able to get 300miles from full tank which I drive around town and motorway. ( combine )

I used Shell Petrol coz I been told its got better fuel which will give more MPG but I can't see it working!

How many Miles dose you lots get from full tanks??? I really want to know why I get only 300 miles.

Thanks

Well I've done 250 in little over half a tank? And my engine probably hasn't worn in yet.... Sounds like you heavy footed!

At the moment I done 255miles and I only got one light left on my fuel guage!!

how many miles in your avgo?

I don't drive fast and I always trying to break with my Engine rather then using the break!!!

The problem here is that, as much as how you as an individual drive; the Aygo is also very susceptible to the type of driving you do.

I have now had three fill ups in mine and they have averaged respectively, 50, 46 and 51 mpg. I consider this very disappointing and it is so far away from the officially claimed 62.8 combined cycle as to warrant investigation under the Trades Descriptions Act. I know that I am not heavy footed - my other car, a two tonne 200bhp, automatic diesel Mercedes averages just under 47mpg, against a claimed figure of 50.9mpg (combined).

What I have discovered is that, more than any other car I have owned, the Aygo is very variable on fuel economy according to the type of driving. They actually don't give very good motorway fuel figures, unlike most bigger cars, I assume because the little engine is working very hard. That is, unless you cruise at a ridiculously low speed in amongst the lorries. They give their best fuel figures on a genteel 'A' road run, crusing between 50 and 60mph. In practice, my driving consists of almost none of this - I am either in dense traffic or on a motorway, and my fuel consumption refects this. One of my colleagues at work also has an Aygo, and much of his driving is on fast-ish A roads, and he consistently averages 55-58mpg, and he is rather heavier of foot than me. My worst tankful so far (46mpg) included a lot of motorway work, and although I do not cruise excessively fast, I do try and maintain 70mph.

The other thing I have noticed is that the little three pot engine really does not like being laboured in too high a gear, and that this also very adversely affects fuel consumption. The Aygo is comparatively highly geared, which is odd given its very revvy engine, and it really does not like being changed up a gear too early. Labouring uses just as much fuel as ragging a car, and many people do not appreciate that.

Have a look at my signature; that's my average fuel usage over 96.000km+ (roughly 60.000mi)

mbellinger - 62.8 is the combined cycle. You state you don't reach this, then go on to say your driving is mainly urban or motorway, so no surprise that you can't get the combined mpg. Urban and motorway speeds aren't good for getting high mpg.

"They give their best fuel figures on a genteel 'A' road run, crusing between 50 and 60mph. " which is more typical of the EU test.

Official mpgs are purely for comparison purposes, not necessarily achieveable with every tank. If you read the EU directive on mpg testing all tests are done at an ambient temeprature of between 20 and 30 degrees C. The UK has average temperatures much lower than this - lower temp means lower mpg.

I've had autos and they are closer to official figures as you have no control over when the car changes gear so chances are when driving the car the changes are happening at similar times to the official tests. As you note with a manual if you choose the incorrect gear you may well be using more fuel.

Ours is no 4 years old and still gets about 45mpg on short urban trips. Over 60mpg is easily achieveable if driven gently.

Normally our Aygo gets 48/50 mpg with my wife taking it shopping and me thrashing it around country lanes to work... However... On a motorway trip a13-m25-m20 to Folkestone and back at 60mph it very surprisingly returned 72 mpg!!

So it does depend very much on the speed you travel at, how many times you have to slow down and then get back up to speed...

I'm waiting for the govt to cut speed limits to 50mph 'cos of the fuel shortage that will come when the middle east explodes... 60mpg will be the norm rather than the exception!

The problem here is that, as much as how you as an individual drive; the Aygo is also very susceptible to the type of driving you do.

I have now had three fill ups in mine and they have averaged respectively, 50, 46 and 51 mpg. I consider this very disappointing and it is so far away from the officially claimed 62.8 combined cycle as to warrant investigation under the Trades Descriptions Act. I know that I am not heavy footed - my other car, a two tonne 200bhp, automatic diesel Mercedes averages just under 47mpg, against a claimed figure of 50.9mpg (combined).

What I have discovered is that, more than any other car I have owned, the Aygo is very variable on fuel economy according to the type of driving. They actually don't give very good motorway fuel figures, unlike most bigger cars, I assume because the little engine is working very hard. That is, unless you cruise at a ridiculously low speed in amongst the lorries. They give their best fuel figures on a genteel 'A' road run, crusing between 50 and 60mph. In practice, my driving consists of almost none of this - I am either in dense traffic or on a motorway, and my fuel consumption refects this. One of my colleagues at work also has an Aygo, and much of his driving is on fast-ish A roads, and he consistently averages 55-58mpg, and he is rather heavier of foot than me. My worst tankful so far (46mpg) included a lot of motorway work, and although I do not cruise excessively fast, I do try and maintain 70mph.

The other thing I have noticed is that the little three pot engine really does not like being laboured in too high a gear, and that this also very adversely affects fuel consumption. The Aygo is comparatively highly geared, which is odd given its very revvy engine, and it really does not like being changed up a gear too early. Labouring uses just as much fuel as ragging a car, and many people do not appreciate that.

Most cars are susceptible to the type of driving you do, not just the Aygo.

My Aygo actually gives quite pleasing motorway figures. I've averaged 62 mpg before, which I was very happy with. I haven't done under 50 mpg since I bought the car in December 2009, when I was still getting used to it. Since then, I've consistently achieved over and above 50mpg - completely mixed driving. But mbellinger, if you're driving along the motorway at 70mph, there's your problem - 60mph is a far, far more economical speed to travel at. I do this whenever I'm on the motorway, and it results in better economy.

I tend to change to second at around 10mph, 3rd at 20, 4th at 30 and 5th at 40 - I believe this also helps the fuel consumption without labouring the engine. Original poster, I'd say it's down to your driving style. You may not think you're a "fast driver", but it's not just about the speed - it's about when you change gear, braking, what technology you're using in the car (CD player, air con etc), the type of roads you're travelling on. If you're doing only urban driving then you won't see great economy. :)

I am getting between 310 and 340 out of a tank. I know alot of you are getting way more but mine is all town driving. And if you compare that to my MINI One that i used to have, the Aygo is miles better. It used to cost me £63.50 to fill to the brim and i used to just about squeeze 300 out of that. Where as it costs me about £38 a tank in the Aygo and i get about 330 lets say :) Bare in mind that all my driving is through town. When i did a run up to Surrey the other week which is about 60 ish miles each way, i managed nearly 400 to that tank :)

I used to get 58/60 mpg on a regular basis, after having the fuel tank sender replaced at Toyota this dropped to 48 mpg with a strong smell of petrol, It has now been returned to another Toyota dealership who found the sender unit leaking fuel.

The nice thing about the Aygo is that as long as you aren't stamping on the accelerator, you can let the revs climb a bit and it doesn't affect the fuel consumption as much as in other cars.

My Yaris D4D is very economical below 2000rpm but as soon as you go over 2000rpm the turbo kicks in and it really starts sucking down the fuel!

I really wish they'd made an Aygo with Toyota's diesel engine tho', it would be so hilarious to drive! :lol:

Hi some of you said you did more then 50+ mpg . How did you lots work it out as no mpg monitor on the avgo!

The way I work my mpg out is I done 300miles of full tank then divided it with 7.7gallons which give me just under 40mpg!! Which is bad for am Aygo!

I normally uses my avgo to go and come back from work, shopping and very little on motorway.

Where I lives is lots of hills so I always going up and down hill!

I drive steady and not fast !! Also change gear very frequency and higher gear as possible even at low speed!

Will all this factors give me the bad result for my miles for full tank?!?

Thanks

What can I do to improves my mpg???

I use an app on my PDA called Fuel Log; Just need to punch in the odometer reading and how much diesel I put in and it works it out as I go. (Last one was terrible! 55mpg! It's 'cause of all the roadworks traffic I've been sitting in :( )

A few people have on-line versions in their signatures which do a similar thing.

The mpg display computers are notoriously inaccurate anyway, even the ScanGauge one basically guesses (albeit an educated guess!)

daveyjp,

I think you are getting confused with the Extra Urban figure in the EU tests. Yes, this is as you say a genteel A road replication. The combined figure is however, an amalgam of the Urban and Extra Urban figures, weighted according to the length of the respective tests. In other words it DOES include an element of urban driving. I fully appreciate that the EU tests are carried out under stringent laboratory conditions; but it remains a fact that whilst some vehicles get reasonably close to the official figures, others are miles off. I would put the Aygo in the latter category.

Aygogummy

I do not know how many car ownership experiences you draw from. I have owned over 100 cars and have extended driving experience of at least another 30. Of course all cars are affected by the type of driving encountered, but I am trying to say that the Aygo is (from my experience of lots of cars) more affected than most in this regard. To give you a real world example, my Mercedes will cruise on the motorway at 70mph with the cruise control engaged and will do over 60mpg at that steady speed. I have repeated this many times. This is the same mpg that you claim to get from your Aygo crawling in among the trucks at 60mph. The reason for this is that the Merc is running more efficiently than the Aygo at that speed. Reduce the speeds to 50mph and the position would be reversed. In an urban environment I actually think the Aygo gives pretty decent economy at around 45mpg, but I expected this to be nearer 60 on the motorway. It is not though - unless as you say, you are prepared to dramatically reduce speeds.

You must also remember that the Aygo suffers because it is not equipped with the stop start system that is standard on the iQ, (and on the Aygo in Japan). This costs the Aygo at least 10% in urban driving. I would imagine that the new model when it comes will have this refinement as standard.

Small cars with small engines are always the most affected by changes in style and type of driving. Witness Autocar's recent test of the Fiat 500 Twin air (claimed mpg in the 70's) where they averaged 33mpg. A week later a different tester managed 42mpg average by driving carefully, and by driving intentionally and deliberately economically raised this further to over 53mpg average. In real world usage, they all agreed that the standard 1.2 engined model would be significantly more economical.

My Aygo replaced an 11 year old Ford Ka. That car had much more torque courtesy of its 1300cc engine. I averaged 40-45mpg in that car, and I average 45-50mpg effectively in my Aygo. Given that the driver and the type of driving are the same, I would have expected ten years of technology to have made a bigger difference, but it has not.

The fuel consumption remains for me the single most disappointing aspect of the car.

Hi some of you said you did more then 50+ mpg . How did you lots work it out as no mpg monitor on the avgo!

The way I work my mpg out is I done 300miles of full tank then divided it with 7.7gallons which give me just under 40mpg!! Which is bad for am Aygo!

I normally uses my avgo to go and come back from work, shopping and very little on motorway.

I drive steady and not fast !! Also change gear very frequency and higher gear as possible even at low speed!

Thanks

change gear less, anticipate breaking.

Thanks

How do we work it out? Easy! 250 miles for half a tank on an app for my i-pad works it out for me! -I failed gce maths so I let the computer work it out for me.... Some guys use Fuelly on here, look at thei signatures....

How do you improve your economy? Gently on the gas, gently on the brake, anticipate, plan your driving.... 300 miles from a full tank is ridiculous.

That's not right, I get and average of 60+mph.

Are your boots really heavy :lol: or is the handbrake still on

Just got my Avgo service about 2 weeks ago at Toyota Dealer and they found no Fault with my car!!!

The hand break work properly and I do change to higher Gear asap.

My is Avgo Sport 2005 only done 26000 miles!!!

I been told by a friend that the car need Time to be tune in to get the best MPG.

is it true???????

My AYGO only has 265 miles on the clock, and on its first tank of Shell fuel. The third bar went off today, I dont know how fast it will drop on the later bars though.

If you read the Road Craft Book and use the driving system talked about that can help. Its talks about breaks are to slow and gears are to go. and the way you plan ahead, position right first, then reducing speed to navigate the hazard, then choose the gear right for the speed you are at once you are at the speed, and finally accelerate away. ( position, speed, gear ,accelerate)

Could be a sensor fault, do you know if the garage ran a scan of your car? This would not be standard in a normal service.

Hi Grinner82

It's the proper Toyota dealer that did the small service which inculding oil and filter changing and it's said visual check on the paper.

I don't think they check the fuel sensor !

My car out of warranty and even I ask themto check something for me they will charge me a lots of money then if they find anything wrong they will charge me even more!

I tried to be smooth slow driver and the driver behind me seem not very happy ! Even I just doing 30 on 30 road they still not happy and try to make me drive faster by sticking they bumper right behind me!!

It can be up to £50 to do the car diagnostic and yes there is the cost to repair the fault, but the savings on fuel in a year may outway this.

Do you get hesitation on acceleration or a poor idle as well as poor fuel economy, if so it could be the air mass sensor thats at fault?

As for slower driving, yes every one is in a hurry and yes people always push you to go faster, but dont let them bully you into going faster, If they want to overtake you, they can and will. Hope it gets sorted

Don't change too early; The 1.0L doesn't have the torque and you'll labour the engine, which uses more fuel!

used to get 48MPG from mine but the journey back from work included a 3 mile long hill, the Aygo does not like hills.