Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Never Get More Then 300Miles From Full Tanks!

badboy88

Hmm, in that case I'd put my money on the Prius! :D

I do think it's a shame they are putting more research into petrol than diesel tho'; Diesel will always be more efficient because of things like the compression ratio and immunity to pre-ignition.

VW and even Toyota have made huge strides in diesel tech, lowering emissions across the board with better injection systems and catalyst tech and it just seems silly to throw away all that research, esp. since diesel engines can potentially run on a wider range of fuels than petrol.

I must admit tho' that I'd hoped we'd be seeing better alternatives to both by now. I had hopes for rotary engines, but the ****el engine was a bit disappointing, and the quasi-turbine isn't really going anywhere.

Electric engines are the way forward but powering them is the problem; Even the most advanced Battery chemistries aren't significantly better than lithium polymer and they cost far more so I think we'll be stuck with hybrids for a while. We need Mr Fusion!! :lol:

I do love the idea of that Jag concept car tho' (The one that had a pure electric drivetrain but also had micro-turbine generators that could run on pretty much any flammable liquid :D)

The technologies are out there to run on just about anything, however, whilst there is still oil in the ground we wont see any significant changes in the market :angry:

Hybrid is the ONLY alternative that will be around in the mass market for a good ten years or so

Now then.............Where's my James Bond style back pack ....................

Kingo :thumbsup:

Haha! Amen to that! :lol:

I'd much prefer that to the person-sized vacuum tube transport system, that's for sure :D

Wait, you said *every* range... does that mean there will be a hybrid Aygo at some point??! :eek::lol:

Edit: Ooops, looks like the **** was taken out of the w a n k e l engine in my prev. post :lol:

Out of curiousity does the Aygo Petrol have a sensitive accelerator, i.e. over revving when pulling off in 1st gear?

I have a 06 plat Diesel and commute 25 miles to work, 50 a day.

Every fill up is a full tank and I reset my trip and only ever refill by 530 miles, sometimes the Reserve comes on however what I do know is that I can always get get 530 miles between refils. I am not sure how many litres are left when the Reserve comes on, however let’s say I have used 32 litres, that 75 MPG.

As there is no way of knowing how much fuel has been used (unless you run out) I am getting at least 68 MPG based on 35litres. Not bad for spending around £2.45 more in Diesel over Petrol.

My Wife has a 10plate Hyundai I10. Its a 1.2 Petrol with a 35 Litre tank and the Petrol light comes on around 260 miles. When I drive the car I find it rather difficult to pull away in 1st gear without over revving, my wife has the same problem.

I think this is to do with a very sensitive accelerator pedal, buts it’s still getting around 45MPG.

Bear in Mind the Aygo is lighter and 1.0 over the I10, but I do not think there is many Petrol cars that will offer fantastic MPG, only the Smart car comes to mind.

The only other things worth considering is a good brand of tyre such as the Continental Eco Contact 3 which is the preferred tyre for the Aygo, use better branded Petrol and occasionally use Redex or similar fuel additive and ensure the car is serviced regularly.

If the car has been driven with the reserve for some time then there may be contaminant’s in the engine and fuel filter.

Some manufacturers also make the Fuel light come on early, possibly to prevent damages to the engine, perhaps the Aygo comes on early for this reason or its a fault.

@Wayne- I suspect it's because it's new; The 3-pot 1.0Ls really seem to benefit from wearing in! But driving style will also be a big factor ;)

@JT - Oooh, good experiment! :D Yaris D4D I assume? If it's a sustained 60mph long run I think the Yaris will win easily, but the Prius is hard to beat for city driving!

Doubt it's an oil burner, he's not that way inclined! The intention is that we meet at Clacketts Lane on the m25, then to Portsmouth, a week on the island and back to Clacketts Lane on the way home.... Mixed motoring so a prettty good test I think. Even with an oil burner a week on the IOW favours the Prius I think, so we shall see.... :thumbsup:

Later.... Checked and he has a 1.3 petrol ....

When I drive the car I find it rather difficult to pull away in 1st gear without over revving, my wife has the same problem.

The only other things worth considering is a good brand of tyre such as the Continental Eco Contact 3 which is the preferred tyre for the Aygo

In the petrol Aygo... and I suspect pretty much every other car you could just pull away on the clutch then over revving won't be so much of a problem.

I have to disagree about the tyres... I found the Continental eco contact 3's which mine came with one of the worst tyres I had ever experienced! They had poor road holding in the dry and were pretty dire in the wet too. I understand that they supposedly produce less rolling resistance but the amount less than a non-eco tyre is negligible. Tyre pressures are FAR more important than the brand and as discussed earlier in this topic, the Aygo is very susceptible to the way you drive it.

I can provide good evidence for the tyres point.... I now run on a set of super sticky performance tyres on 195/45/15's, Toyo proxies T1R's and I still get 58.9 MPG!!!

When I first drove an AYGO I got the feeling that I needed lots of rev to pull away. However having lived with it for a few weeks I have found that it will pull away with no accelertation just from clutch up.

Wait, you said *every* range... does that mean there will be a hybrid Aygo at some point??! :eek::lol:

That is Toyotas mantra, "Every model by 2020" of course, who says the Aygo will be around in 2020, it could morph into the Aygopersonaltubeaccelerator GTX by 2020 :lol:

Well, my first fill up and I only got 55 miles from the first bar............. I'm a bit shocked to be fair

You sure you had a full tank? I doubt it very much

Well, my first fill up and I only got 55 miles from the first bar............. I'm a bit shocked to be fair

Or you have an exceptionally heavy right foot!!

Or you have an exceptionally heavy right foot!!

carrying four hippo's ...

........and the Roly Polys to work :lol:

lol take the ***** all you want peeps.......... :)

I drive 20 miles each way to work, on my own. Its all motorway and I dont go over 70. The rest is school runs etc, we have only been 4 up once and that was the day we got her.

Yes, Im sure it was full......

Try a few things;

Make sure tyre pressures are correct and check them regularly

change gear early but not so early you strain the engine

coast where possible and safe to do so

check that your fuel line hasn't been vandalised!!

Try a few things;

Make sure tyre pressures are correct and check them regularly

change gear early but not so early you strain the engine

coast where possible and safe to do so

check that your fuel line hasn't been vandalised!!

Hi

Its brand new, she's only done about 250 miles............

Try to stay nearer to 60mph; While the Aygo can be driven at 70mph, it sends the fuel consumption through the roof!

Even in my wubbwy diesel Yaris, 60mph vs 70mph is something like 10mpg difference! :eek:

Your experience mirrors mine. First full tank 55 miles off of the first blob.

They do improve with running in as they loosen up. I am now on my fifth tank at 1700 miles and get 75ish miles from the first blob on the gauge - up from 55 miles, so there is an definite improvement. In MPG I have gone from 46 to 52mpg as the bookends - the 46 was the first tank and the 52 the fourth.

My driving is a mix of urban and motorway, with very little 'A' road work. I am sorry, but I do not subscribe to the idea that one should crawl dangerously around at 60mph in the inside lane to get decent fuel figures out of a car in 2011. A new car should be perfectly capable of cruising at the legal limit and giving decent consumption.

And coasting, by the way, is illegal in the UK.

The simple answer is that the Aygo performs nowhere near as well as the (misleading) official figures suggest. Fact.

In this respect it is not alone - many small cars are designed to excel at the official tests (which of course are not conducted anywhere near a road, but in a laboratory). The Fiat 500 TwinAir is the latest to be exposed in this way. In larger engined cars, the differences between real-world and laboratory-world fuel consumption are often less marked, because the engine is working less hard.

If you want impressive fuel consumption the only way to go is diesel, because the much greater low down torque allows them to pull higher gearing at any given speed. We have had a Mini Cooper D and one of those new Skoda Fabia Greenline models in for evaluation at work recently. The Mini refused to do less than 57mpg, even when taken by my most ham-fisted driver for a week. The Skoda is doing 71mpg. Both are very impressive vehicles, especially the Skoda.

My colleagues 2.0 litre Passat diesel estate is cheaper to fuel than my Aygo. It will also hold five people and their luggage and do 130mph (were permitted). On a recent trip to the Black Forest in Germany, four up with bags, we set the cruise at 110mph and still obtained over 40mpg (real, not dashboard computed), which is impressive stuff.

An Aygo is cheap to run in other ways, insurance and servicing particularly, but on fuel it is only at best, competitively mediocre, compared to other machinery about these days.

I agree with Cyker - a Yaris diesel is a much more impressive car, and is better on fuel. It is a lot dearer to buy though, and that difference buys a lot of fuel....

There are other redeeming features of the Aygo - it has miles more character than a Yaris for example, and the decision to purchase is not just about economy, but in these days of seemingly spiralling fuel prices, I would expect a high tecnology 1 litre car with a light body to do better than 49ish MPG.

And coasting, by the way, is illegal in the UK.

The simple answer is that the Aygo performs nowhere near as well as the (misleading) official figures suggest. Fact.

I would expect a high tecnology 1 litre car with a light body to do better than 49ish MPG.

Do you work for the Daily Mail by any chance? haha

Thanks for reminding me about coasting, I had forgotten because for an alert driver who is coasting in a sensible manor, it so happens that any coppers passing don't have any idea that you are in fact coasting!

I have to disagree with you, My Aygo is heavily modified... full stainless steel exhaust, rear anti-roll bar (which doesn't help the weight) and full uprated suspension (which also doesn't help the weight), Tyres almost twice the width of the standard ones and an overkill for its performance and a K&N induction kit .... Please tell me how that if the Aygo comes "Nowhere near as well as the official figures suggest" I can still get 58.5MPG??

There are many people on this forum that would also disagree with you.

regards

"Official consumption figures"

These figures are nothing to do with the manufacturers.... they are GOVERNMENT figures, demanded by the EU many years ago and who the h*ll believes anything any government tells us anyway!!!!

All makes/models use the same test which we all know, or should do by now, bear no resemblance at all to the real world. It is possible under certain circumstances to get close to, or even exceed these figures depending on:

how you are driving at the time

traffic conditions at the time

weather conditions at the time

road conditions at the time

type of roads you are using at the time....

do you get my drift. the 'at the time' is the operative bit here, on our Aygo MMT I can get anything between 48 and 58 mpg depending on what I'm doing, where I'm going and what the traffic in front is doing.

The Aygo is a small CITY car, yes it is reasonably happy on a motorway but essentially it is built and designed for use in towns and possibly on country lanes where in both cases it excells! As soon as you start hitting 70 on a motorway/dual carriageway your consumption will drop appreciably and any diesel will beat the consumption you then get.

As to travelling at 60mph in lane 1 of a motorway, what's wrong with that? I think you will find that there are an awful lot of people now that have discovered that if you cut your speed you will cut your consumption and with the cost of petrol and diesel continually rising it seems quite sensible to me!

We didn't buy the Aygo to tear up and down motorways, we bought it because it is cheap to run, cheap to insure and is much funkier than Skoda's or VW Polo's (apoligies for swearing) it is a perfect 'run-around' car.

What can you do to improve your mpg?

Simple buy a Morris 1000 or an A series Metro and enjoy a genuine 50 mpg.

Our Aygo has been a big disappointment on fuel economy, its true return is nearer 40 mpg and thats with 'ideal' conditions and over several thousands of miles.

Reading through this its seems that I'm not the only one that was misled by advertising claims.

Reading through this its seems that I'm not the only one that was misled by advertising claims.

ALL manufacturers use the same GOVERNMENT method, they have no way of influencing MPG claims, so you cannot say you were misled

The fact is we cannot all drive in exactly the same way, speed, road conditions etc etc and no two cars will produce the same set of figures

There are people out there who will never get anywhere near the advertised MPG and there are those that will better it, its a fact of life

"Official consumption figures"

These figures are nothing to do with the manufacturers.... they are GOVERNMENT figures, demanded by the EU many years ago and who the h*ll believes anything any government tells us anyway!!!!

All makes/models use the same test which we all know, or should do by now, bear no resemblance at all to the real world. It is possible under certain circumstances to get close to, or even exceed these figures depending on:

how you are driving at the time

traffic conditions at the time

weather conditions at the time

road conditions at the time

type of roads you are using at the time....

do you get my drift. the 'at the time' is the operative bit here, on our Aygo MMT I can get anything between 48 and 58 mpg depending on what I'm doing, where I'm going and what the traffic in front is doing.

The Aygo is a small CITY car, yes it is reasonably happy on a motorway but essentially it is built and designed for use in towns and possibly on country lanes where in both cases it excells! As soon as you start hitting 70 on a motorway/dual carriageway your consumption will drop appreciably and any diesel will beat the consumption you then get.

As to travelling at 60mph in lane 1 of a motorway, what's wrong with that? I think you will find that there are an awful lot of people now that have discovered that if you cut your speed you will cut your consumption and with the cost of petrol and diesel continually rising it seems quite sensible to me!

We didn't buy the Aygo to tear up and down motorways, we bought it because it is cheap to run, cheap to insure and is much funkier than Skoda's or VW Polo's (apoligies for swearing) it is a perfect 'run-around' car.

here here :thumbsup:

ALL manufacturers use the same GOVERNMENT method, they have no way of influencing MPG claims, so you cannot say you were misled

The fact is we cannot all drive in exactly the same way, speed, road conditions etc etc and no two cars will produce the same set of figures

There are people out there who will never get anywhere near the advertised MPG and there are those that will better it, its a fact of life

I makes no difference where the information comes from. Toyota use this info in their literature and their web sites.... therefore as far as the customer is concerned it comes from Toyota.

I accept that we all drive differently, but the fact is some Aygo's do a lot more to the gallon than others, Why? I may be wrong but it seems some older cars seem to be performing better than newer models. Whats your thoughts?

Dont get me wrong, I love our little car. It does what it says on the tin. None of it exceptionally well, but its loads of fun and puts a smile on my face. I'm just hoping for a few more miles to the gallon.

Hopefully I will have a more accurate figures after a couple of tanks. I'm using Road Trip on my phone and Fuelly on here.

I accept that we all drive differently, but the fact is some Aygo's do a lot more to the gallon than others, Why? I may be wrong but it seems some older cars seem to be performing better than newer models. Whats your thoughts?

the active bit here is 'we all drive differently'

Our Aygo has done just under 3000 miles - the first time we took it out was from the dealers in S.Essex, on the A13 to Dartford, over the bridge and on the M25 to the M20 junction, down the M20 to Folkestone, returning 2 days later. Average mph was 60, average mpg was 81 yes EIGHTY ONE - we've never got anywhere near that since, but then darting around the country lanes of Essex and shopping I wouldn't hope to! Our average now seems to be 48 to 58 depending on whether I've had the car more or the wife has... we drive differently you see and the type of roads we encounter are different....

As I've said before, the Aygo is a city car, happy enough for occasional forays onto a motorway. If you want a car that is happy on a motorway then buy a bigger car!

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links