Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Never Get More Then 300Miles From Full Tanks!

badboy88

I accept that we all drive differently, but the fact is some Aygo's do a lot more to the gallon than others, Why? I may be wrong but it seems some older cars seem to be performing better than newer models. Whats your thoughts?

the active bit here is 'we all drive differently'

Our Aygo has done just under 3000 miles - the first time we took it out was from the dealers in S.Essex, on the A13 to Dartford, over the bridge and on the M25 to the M20 junction, down the M20 to Folkestone, returning 2 days later. Average mph was 60, average mpg was 81 yes EIGHTY ONE - we've never got anywhere near that since, but then darting around the country lanes of Essex and shopping I wouldn't hope to! Our average now seems to be 48 to 58 depending on whether I've had the car more or the wife has... we drive differently you see and the type of roads we encounter are different....

As I've said before, the Aygo is a city car, happy enough for occasional forays onto a motorway. If you want a car that is happy on a motorway then buy a bigger car!

:thumbsup:

I apologise if this has already been asked, but what do you use to work out you mpg????

I accept that we all drive differently, but the fact is some Aygo's do a lot more to the gallon than others, Why? I may be wrong but it seems some older cars seem to be performing better than newer models. Whats your thoughts?

A car with more miles on it is likely to be run in, in other words, the engine is not as tight and able to give better MPG

The ONLY way to work out your MPG is to work it out brim to brim / cost per litre / miles the use of any display info should be taken as a guide MPG only

Kingo :thumbsup:

the active bit here is 'we all drive differently'

Our Aygo has done just under 3000 miles - the first time we took it out was from the dealers in S.Essex, on the A13 to Dartford, over the bridge and on the M25 to the M20 junction, down the M20 to Folkestone, returning 2 days later. Average mph was 60, average mpg was 81 yes EIGHTY ONE - we've never got anywhere near that since, but then darting around the country lanes of Essex and shopping I wouldn't hope to! Our average now seems to be 48 to 58 depending on whether I've had the car more or the wife has... we drive differently you see and the type of roads we encounter are different....

As I've said before, the Aygo is a city car, happy enough for occasional forays onto a motorway. If you want a car that is happy on a motorway then buy a bigger car!

:thumbsup:

I apologise is this has already been asked, but what do you use to work out you mpg????

I use roadtrip on my i-pad - figures from the till receipts and mileometer. Road trip keeps a note of the cost as well, unfortunately whilst the consumption is reasonably steady, the cost is rising all the time :crybaby:

My driving is a mix of urban and motorway, with very little 'A' road work. I am sorry, but I do not subscribe to the idea that one should crawl dangerously around at 60mph in the inside lane to get decent fuel figures out of a car in 2011. A new car should be perfectly capable of cruising at the legal limit and giving decent consumption.

And coasting, by the way, is illegal in the UK.

Just out of interest, what would you say is "decent fuel figures?" I only ask as both my friend and I can get about 50MPG whilst "cruising at the legal limit" in our Aygo's where as my wife (with a Honda Jazz) is lucky to get 40MPG whilst "cruising at the legal limit". The "legal limit" is a maximum anyway.

And why are trucks limited to 60mph if 60mph is dangerous?

on a side note...I also thought that with modern engines coasting uses more fuel than if you don't coast? ie when approaching a set of red traffic lights, if you took your foot off the accelerator it would use less fuel then putting it in neutral and taking your foot off the accelerator?

What can you do to improve your mpg?

Simple buy a Morris 1000 or an A series Metro and enjoy a genuine 50 mpg.

Our Aygo has been a big disappointment on fuel economy, its true return is nearer 40 mpg and thats with 'ideal' conditions and over several thousands of miles.

Reading through this its seems that I'm not the only one that was misled by advertising claims.

Yes that's what I get for my Aygo 40mpg !

So far I try to drive much much slower and just able to achieve 135 miles from first bar and at moment I done 168 miles and second bar still here ! Hoping to get over 200 miles before it's second bar gone !!

I agreed with you what mpg they advertising this misleading !!

My driving is a mix of urban and motorway, with very little 'A' road work. I am sorry, but I do not subscribe to the idea that one should crawl dangerously around at 60mph in the inside lane to get decent fuel figures out of a car in 2011. A new car should be perfectly capable of cruising at the legal limit and giving decent consumption.

And coasting, by the way, is illegal in the UK.

Just out of interest, what would you say is "decent fuel figures?" I only ask as both my friend and I can get about 50MPG whilst "cruising at the legal limit" in our Aygo's where as my wife (with a Honda Jazz) is lucky to get 40MPG whilst "cruising at the legal limit". The "legal limit" is a maximum anyway.

And why are trucks limited to 60mph if 60mph is dangerous?

on a side note...I also thought that with modern engines coasting uses more fuel than if you don't coast? ie when approaching a set of red traffic lights, if you took your foot off the accelerator it would use less fuel then putting it in neutral and taking your foot off the accelerator?

That's what I am trying at the moment to hopfully able to boost my MPG! Take my foot off the accelerator when approaching red lights! I also let my car run in neutral going down hill ! Switch my engine off when I knew ita take ages for the red light to turn green!

I am hoping all I am doing will able to boost my MPG!

Coasting in neutral wastes fuel and is 'illegal' (You can get done for driving without being in full control of the car apparently! :eek:), but coasting in-gear is not illegal and actually saves fuel because the ECU stops the injectors if it senses the engine is being spun above idle and there's no accelerator input :)

Because of that, rolling in-gear up to the lights and down hills will save a load of fuel.

Another huge saver is leaving a bigger gap in traffic so you don't have to brake every time the car in front does, and lets you smooth out the speed changes (e.g. average 18mph behind a car that does bursts of 20!-BRAKE!-20!-BRAKE! :lol: ).

I use those techniques combined with higher tyre pressures to get mpg in the low 60's, even around town! (Yes, those lying Toyota figures!! I should only be getting 55mpg!! :censor: :lol: )

The 60mph vs 70mph efficiency thing is just physics; There is *no car on earth* which will have better mpg at 70 than 60.

The reason? Air resistance.

And 60mph is plenty fast for me thankyouverymuch :eek:

I like to get myself in the right (Relaxed!) state of mind to cruise at 60mph. Sometimes I'm impatient and get tempted to do 70mph but TBH I find that usually ends with me being more stressed as get swept along with the tide of other impatient drivers :lol:

TBH... considering it's a 1.0L city car, I think the Aygo does pretty well to get to 70mph so easily (My old 1.3L Fiesta took over 9 seconds to get from 60 to 70mph vs the ~2s of my Yaris D4D!! :lol: ).

• Like 1

So far I try to drive much much slower and just able to achieve 135 miles from first bar and at moment I done 168 miles and second bar still here ! Hoping to get over 200 miles before it's second bar gone !!

I agreed with you what mpg they advertising this misleading !!

Why is everyone obsesessed about how many miles they get to each bar on the fuel gauge?

You cannot possibly get accurate MPG figures from that. Do the maths, fill it brim to brim and work it out correctly!

Why is everyone obsesessed about how many miles they get to each bar on the fuel gauge?

You cannot possibly get accurate MPG figures from that. Do the maths, fill it brim to brim and work it out correctly!

Yeah I get that, honest lol. It is a fair guide tho :)

You hit the nail on the head there with one word............. "GUIDE"

So why is this forum littered with people who get this or that amount from one or two blobs on the fuel gauge? all pretty weird if you ask me :blink:

To be fair Kingo, not everyone has access to a calculator and since Garages were forced to sell fuel in foreign litres instead of ENGLISH gallons even the best of mathematicians can get it wrong - hence the rise of road trip, fuelly and the like.

Unfortunately garages will now never go back to gallons even though they now could 'cos then us plebs will actually realise how much a gallon we are paying! 1.30 per litre is much more palletable than 6.00 per gallon, it doesnt look as bad?...

As to the blobs, sorry, but manufacturers bought that on themselves, the old flickering unstable pointer was much more fun, more guesswork involved, you could actually run out of petrol with an indicated half a tank left, especially if you were parked on a steep camber :thumbsup:

I never had you down as a blob man Tone :lol: I put fuel in, when it reaches one blob (ooops I'm doing it now!) I put fuel in, Bobs your uncle, the car goes for another 200 miles or so :rolleyes:

Kingo Pythagoras :thumbsup:

I never had you down as a blob man Tone :lol: I put fuel in, when it reaches one blob (ooops I'm doing it now!) I put fuel in, Bobs your uncle, the car goes for another 200 miles or so :rolleyes:

Kingo Pythagoras :thumbsup:

Lol 250 miles (half a tank roughly) in the Aygo and it wants feeding, 300 in the Prius !!

To answer the fuelly profile question, if you go to the FAQ section on fuelly it will give you a page were you copy a link, then on the forum go to your profile page and paste it. Hope that makes sense.

For all the people who complain about fuel economy, It is clear its the way you drive, the engines are the same, the cars are the same , so if I can get 57 on its seconds tank, so can everyone else. I am looking at 400 miles before fill up at the minute, which should be just above 60 MPG. I travel 27 miles each way to work and back on a duel carriage way, and don't go above 60 MPH ( how people say this is dangerous is madness!) It does not take me any longer as I am not having to break when lorries pull out, then overtake them,and speed up and slow down. Just a steady 60, foot in the same position, and gentle acceleration. Yes it takes 15-20 seconds to get to 60, but who cares, I am not in a rush!

For people who are taking the car out of gear running up to traffic lights, try just staying in the gear, so if you are in 4th, just slow in forth, by taking your foot off the accelerator in the first instance, look ahead and anticipate what the traffic is going to do, so its not a shock and meaning you have to break hard. If you need to then break in the latter stages of slowing, then clutch down, still in the same gear. Then select the correct gear to move off again.

A great little car, with great fuel economy. A 220D BMW might do better at 70 MPH on a motorway but you will pay £1000`s more for the car, so its not really cheaper! :)

You hit the nail on the head there with one word............. "GUIDE"

So why is this forum littered with people who get this or that amount from one or two blobs on the fuel gauge? all pretty weird if you ask me :blink:

I agree with that, the blobs are a guide.

I work out my fuel economy by filling it up to the brim, (why do some people just put in £10 worth of fuel?) and making a note of the number of miles i have done. I also use the blobs as a guide. This way i know roughly how well i am doing! for example, if i only get 100 miles from the first blob i know i have been sitting in a lot of traffic (stupid A406), where as if i get 130 miles i know that the roads have been fine, and that the fuel economy should be good!

To answer the fuelly profile question, if you go to the FAQ section on fuelly it will give you a page were you copy a link, then on the forum go to your profile page and paste it. Hope that makes sense

I get the first bit, but where on my profile do I paste it?

Go to your profile, then click the "Edit my Profile" button in the upper righthand side.

Select "Change Signature" in the lefthand column and past the fuelly- or SprintMonitor-

code in the text-field on the right, finally click "Save Chnages" on the lower middle...

Go to your profile, then click the "Edit my Profile" button in the upper righthand side.

Select "Change Signature" in the lefthand column and past the fuelly- or SprintMonitor-

code in the text-field on the right, finally click "Save Chnages" on the lower middle...

Much appreciated, thank you :thumbsup:

Third tank, did 351 miles, just dropping to 2 bars so I filled up £35, working out this tank is 59.7 MPG

The car now has just 1000 miles on the clock so hoping this will go to about 64 MPG in a few tanks time.

Hi ,

Sorry I simply do not accept that the reason I get nearer to 40 mpg is down to my driving style. I drive as ecomomically as possible, you may have passed me as I'm doing a steady 58 mph on the motorway! I'm also not working and so can chose my journeys to miss peak times and I take it as a challenge to use brakes only when needed. Ecomonical driving is deepy engrained in me.

In addition I use the Toyota (Japan) specified thinner oil 0w5 for best ecomony. Toyota (UK) use much thicker oil because it is cheaper for them and increases their profit and is at the expense of fuel ecomony for the customer.

Saying that the 40 mpg is down to poor driving simply does not wash. It may be that I accurately work out the TRUE consumption over thousands of miles and do not get misled by how far I travelled before the first bar disappeared off the fuel guage.

Just thought I'd add my 2p:

After having my 59 plate for 7 months I have only just got in the 60s mpg. Filled up today: last tank was 62.2mpg and that was 50 miles with the Aircon on and a passenger! The previous tank was 'just 60.7 mpg. Prior to that ny best was 57mpg and worst 52 mpg. The latter fill up was at Esso and I usually almost exclusively use Sainsbury's

Saying that the 40 mpg is down to poor driving simply does not wash. It may be that I accurately work out the TRUE consumption over thousands of miles and do not get misled by how far I travelled before the first bar disappeared off the fuel guage.

I have owned my Aygo Blue from new and have done 9771.4 miles and used 784.52 litres of fuel in this time. Therefore i have worked out my MPG to be 56.62.

Each litre is 0.219969 of a UK gallon.

Therefore working out my MPG is as easy as:

(9771.4)/(784.52*0.219969)

Which equals 56.62MPG.

I have a spread sheet of all the times i have filled up (I always brim it) and i can say that the lowest i have ever had is 49.5MPG with a highest of 64.4MPG.

This was all achieved using the Toyota recommended thicker oil.

You aren't working out fuel economy using the American Gallon are you?

I only use the bars on the fuel gauge as a guide, but i find it is generally a pretty good indicator of how well i am doing!

Also approx 90% of my fill ups were at Tesco.

Aygo Owner, it is either your driving style ( weather you accept that or not ) or its your car that has a fault. I don't use the fuel gauge to work out the MPG, I fill to the brim each time and work it out the liters used and miles traveled. Like I said, last tank was 59.7 MPG.

I also keep a spread sheet ( no idea why ) of fuel used.

Heres to 60MPG! roll on the miles!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links