Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Never Get More Then 300Miles From Full Tanks!

badboy88

Hi,

With the fuel economy, i regularly get 60MPG but i don't think i have changed my driving style as such.

I was just thinking is it something to do with how you taught to drive? i only learnt to drive 7 years ago so there may have been more of an emphasis on "eco-driving" compared to when others learnt?

On 10/31/2011 at 3:46 PM, Bravo533 said:

I'm somewhat concerned with the fuel consumption with our Aygo. I am basing this on what we are achieving versus the figures being discussed here on this forum.

Firstly - we accept the 6 blob meter is complete carp and we are now using the trip to determine when to re-fuel !!

Have measured 3 tankfuls for a Aygo which we have owned for 4weeks. First tankful 37.3 mpg all urban, second 49.9 mpg a sub 70 mph motorway trip of 225 miles and 3rd tankful was 39.3 mpg urban.

Thus to be safe a tankful will last no more than 300 miles max assuming 34 litres of usable fuel. It seems extraordinary therefore that some folk on here claim regularly to achieve 400 per tank !!??

We are driving the car in accordance with the fuel economy guidelines as one reason for getting the car was to save money so we are committed to this new way of driving !

We have had 2 old 1.2 litre cars recently which were not driven particularly carefully and they both returned approx 38 MPG urban - old technology, much heavier cars. Frustrating as the Aygo itself is excellent!

Has anyone had/heard of cases of the Aygo engine running inefficiently and how was this resolved?

Hi Bravo. Obviously the air-con being on, numbers of passengers carried, tyre pressures (incidentally I find 34 works best) etc all have a bearing on the fuel economy of such a little car but I manage between 52mpg and 58mpg with two thirds 70mph to 80mph motorway driving, mixed with one third urban. 30,000 miles now driven in total. I did however find that after the first couple of thousand miles from new, my figures improved slightly which I took to be the engine loosening up?

Apologies if I'm teaching anyone on the forum to suck eggs but as Bravo has done the only way to know your actual mpg is to work it out with some very simple maths, the Blobs are only a very rough guide at best! (Due to the Aygo's tank being V-Shaped)

For anyone whose not sure, the way to work out mpg accurately is..

Brim the tank, zero the trip, drive as far as you can, brim the tank (ideally at the same pump) and note the litres used plus the mileage on the trip. Then multiply number of litres by 0.22 to get imperial gallons then divide this figure by number of miles driven e.g 34 litres x 0.22 = 7.48 gallons. 400 miles / 7.48 gallons = 52.08 mpg.

There are also loads of free apps for smart phones or on-line converters that will do it all for you :thumbsup:

Are you sure you are getting a full tank ? Not just the pump clicking, can you see the fuel in the neck ? I fill to the fuel is level with the top of the collar inside the filler neck which is intended to stop you filling up with Diesel.

That is a valid point - but last Thursday I managed to put in 33.67 litres - 290 miles had elapsed since last fill up and it was still showing 2 bars !!!!

Its a 35 litre tank so the car was only 11.7 miles from running out of fuel.

For anyone whose not sure, the way to work out mpg accurately is..

Brim the tank, zero the trip, drive as far as you can, brim the tank (ideally at the same pump) and note the litres used plus the mileage on the trip. Then multiply number of litres by 0.22 to get imperial gallons then divide this figure by number of miles driven e.g 34 litres x 0.22 = 7.48 gallons. 400 miles / 7.48 gallons = 52.08 mpg.

You may be interested to know that you have rounded up, if you divide the number of litres by 4.546092 to convert to imperial gallons you will get a more accurate figure.

Your example then comes out to 53.48 mpg :thumbsup:

David

That is a valid point - but last Thursday I managed to put in 33.67 litres - 290 miles had elapsed since last fill up and it was still showing 2 bars !!!!

I filled up last night and stuck in 32.31 (7.12 gallons) litres for 449 miles = 63 MPG.

I had gone from 2 bars to the last bar with 3 beeps just 10 miles or so earlier.

You had 2 bars left and put in 1.5 litres more. Confused.

I filled up last night and stuck in 32.31 (7.12 gallons) litres for 449 miles = 63 MPG.

I had gone from 2 bars to the last bar with 3 beeps just 10 miles or so earlier.

You had 2 bars left and put in 1.5 litres more. Confused.

Confused indeed! Its my 290 miles versus your 449 which is my big worry !!!! - its a given that the 6 bars indicator is useless and its best policy to fill up at 2 bars. What profile of driving did you do for those 449 miles - also were you using aircon and/or ventilation fans very much?

Hi,

With the fuel economy, i regularly get 60MPG but i don't think i have changed my driving style as such.

I was just thinking is it something to do with how you taught to drive? i only learnt to drive 7 years ago so there may have been more of an emphasis on "eco-driving" compared to when others learnt?

Maybe. I learnt to drive on private land at 16 and passed soon after my 17th birthday - many years ago! I have taken a few more driving tests in minibuses since but emphasis was on safety and mechanical sympathy for the vehicle. The only change I know of over the years is I was taught to go down the gears and use engine braking as well as the brakes when slowing down - nowadays I believe people are taught to just use the brakes (I think because the brake components are cheaper to replace than a gearbox, and also the brakes are much, much better now). Oh and does anyone double declutch these days?

Driving a Prius certainly made me monitor my fuel consumption and I learnt how to improve the fuel economy - many other hybrid owners use a scangauge and that gives even more information - I could be tempted to get one for the Aygo but probably will save my money!

Having driven cars where 25 mpg was an achievement, I will be happy with anything over 50 mpg from the Aygo. Mind you if a cheap, reliable car came out that would do 100mpg I would be tempted, but anything less will not make much financial difference on the number of miles I do each year.

David

Confused indeed! Its my 290 miles versus your 449 which is my big worry !!!! - its a given that the 6 bars indicator is useless and its best policy to fill up at 2 bars. What profile of driving did you do for those 449 miles - also were you using aircon and/or ventilation fans very much?

My daily drive is 50:50 urban and a short run along the Edinburgh bypass. On average I get 50-55 MPG trip on the way TO work and 65ish coming back - one is uphill, the other down. I usually do the limit or under on the urban roads and about 55ish on the bypass which is slow lane rush hour traffic speed.

Usually on longer journeys I try and stick to 55-65 but for the longer trips on this tank (~40% of it) I was up against time so I did 65-75 (on the speedo) instead. The Aygo felt quite good at those speeds ;)

I've used the air-con once since I got the car in July ;) and the demister probably twice.

• 12 years later...

I know this is old, but i have a 2005 1.0 aygo , i filled the tank up to where i could see the gas, and did 554km went to refill again to where i could see the gas , it took 34L , so that's 45.20 UK,  not even close to your 60-70mpg lol

• Like 2

Cold outside temperatures / cold engine is the worst for me.

I use 4,6 l/100 km in summer. In winter 5.4l.

People who mainly calculated in summer and always drove longer distances at 55 mph, alone, in a car with no aircon, with clean air filter and good spark plugs must be the champs.

There are loads of variations.

• Like 2

55mpg ours it at right now at minus 25c.

not to shabby. just tanked it up. 10.5l to 200 km's..we live in the country and never sit in traffic. thats with cruize control on at 80kmh to and from town 50km's away. one roundabout. 

• Like 2

Newbie to the forum, only done a 1000 miles in my Aygo X so far, but averaging 48.9 mpg with mixed driving, city, fast dual carriageway’s and not a lot of motorway miles. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 12:30 PM, haelewyn said:

Cold outside temperatures / cold engine is the worst for me.

I use 4,6 l/100 km in summer. In winter 5.4l.

People who mainly calculated in summer and always drove longer distances at 55 mph, alone, in a car with no aircon, with clean air filter and good spark plugs must be the champs.

There are loads of variations.

damn, that's 52mpg to 61 mpg, it's winter and temperatures don't go below -5C where i live almost never, but they rarely do go below -2, still, far away from my 45mpg, but i do drive mainly in the city

On 1/21/2024 at 1:02 PM, Drew Peacock said:

55mpg ours it at right now at minus 25c.

not to shabby. just tanked it up. 10.5l to 200 km's..we live in the country and never sit in traffic. thats with cruize control on at 80kmh to and from town 50km's away. one roundabout. 

oh damn with that 80kmh,you've been struck by them gas prices haha

On 1/21/2024 at 6:41 PM, Silpure said:

Newbie to the forum, only done a 1000 miles in my Aygo X so far, but averaging 48.9 mpg with mixed driving, city, fast dual carriageway’s and not a lot of motorway miles. 

That's about my mpg, i could probably get more if i did motorway at normal speed, but i drive mostly in  the city

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TebraOno said:

damn, that's 52mpg to 61 mpg, it's winter and temperatures don't go below -5C where i live almost never, but they rarely do go below -2, still, far away from my 45mpg, but i do drive mainly in the city

Cold start and cold drove is bad for economy.

On the weekend, I saw that one 5km drive I did was 4.3 liter with a warm engine.

One day later, oppositie direction, cold  engine, freezing temperatures, it was easily 7.5 liter (38 mpg UK). 

Because of cold start, cold weather, lot of traffic lights and slow traffic.

Your aygo is from 2005.

Did you do a go-around doing air filter, spark plugs, petrol filter, regular oil change with good quality oil ? 

Injectors working fine (I guess they do) ? Good tyres ? Ever thought how much driving habits are on the wrong side? 

• Like 1

plus 5c here now lol. amazing from minus 25c to plus 5c in just a few days.

just been into town. wow. 4.5l per 100kms now. 60 mpg. loving this car. 

• Haha 1

I surely would love to hear from you again when the euforic feelings have dropped. Stay in touch !

44mpg round town only.. heavy footed

• Like 1

Quick trip back from the supermarket plus 12c 6.1 miles all dual carriageway 40mph and 70mph limits, no traffic 45.7 mpg using Toyotas figures on the dash, my 48.9mpg average is done by filling up the tank and recording the litres/miles in the fuelly app. The trip to the same supermarket on a cold engine from the dash readings was 41.9mpg 

On 1/22/2024 at 8:15 PM, haelewyn said:

Cold start and cold drove is bad for economy.

On the weekend, I saw that one 5km drive I did was 4.3 liter with a warm engine.

One day later, oppositie direction, cold  engine, freezing temperatures, it was easily 7.5 liter (38 mpg UK). 

Because of cold start, cold weather, lot of traffic lights and slow traffic.

Your aygo is from 2005.

Did you do a go-around doing air filter, spark plugs, petrol filter, regular oil change with good quality oil ? 

Injectors working fine (I guess they do) ? Good tyres ? Ever thought how much driving habits are on the wrong side? 

Yup, air filter, spark plugs, ELF oil and oil filter, no petrol filter tho or injectors, don't know anything about those, tyres are basically new and pumped to the higher value  i think it's 2.3 bars and lower is 2.2, i drive pretty mild, and try to use brakes as least as possible

On 1/23/2024 at 5:44 PM, Drew Peacock said:

thumbnail_20240123_160738.jpg

How true/accurate are those anyways? I mean i got my mpg by filling the tank to the hole, then refilled to the top, have you ever tried doing that?

• Like 1

Vaguely accurate; Mine averages about 5-10% optimistic vs calculating it from distance travelled and fuel put in.

• Like 1

the onboard computers are accurate.

ok just tanked the aygo.

ok this is amazing.

ok i did 285kms to 12.5 liters.

that equates to 63.8 miles to one uk gallon. on winter tyres at zero celcius

4.38 liters per 100kms. i have driven 5 millions miles in my life. the onboard fuel computers are very accurate. the car says 4.4l liters per 100kms

also in my years of driving i have never owned or driven a car so damn economical. it's a good on mpg as my honda transalp.

anyone looking for a cheap to run car just by an aygo. incredible economy.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cyker said:

Vaguely accurate; Mine averages about 5-10% optimistic vs calculating it from distance travelled and fuel put in.

almost every single tank on every single vehicle i had owned and driven since 1980. i

2 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

the onboard computers are accurate.

ok just tanked the aygo.

ok this is amazing.

ok i did 285kms to 12.5 liters.

that equates to 63.8 miles to one uk gallon. on winter tyres at zero celcius

4.38 liters per 100kms. i have driven 5 millions miles in my life. the onboard fuel computers are very accurate. the car says 4.4l liters per 100kms

also in my years of driving i have never owned or driven a car so damn economical. it's a good on mpg as my honda transalp.

anyone looking for a cheap to run car just by an aygo. incredible economy.

Your preaching to the converted!, but very true, I never been obsessive about fuel economy, I just driven my cars to enjoy them, if you worried too much about fuel, take the bus. But good to know that with these little cars you can enjoy yourself and get decent mileage. Hey 40+ mpg is great considering my old V6 was doing 22 ish around town and these cars are also cheap to tax, insure and work on and ours always been fun to drive as well considering what they are. Glad you are enjoying yours and always nice to see a new owner praising these great little cars and your location puts a new spin on daily Aygo life.