Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Drain Fuel Tank?

ben84

Accidentally put petrol on my d4d corolla 02 onwards, please help me and give me guide how to drain the fuel? luckily I didn't start the car just notice when I'm refilling fuel.

have 1/2 tank of petrol/diesel on my car now. just ask a friend to tow me back home.

Please help me guys...

thank you

un clip the fuel pipes just before the rear axle and drain in to a tub job done(make sure you remove the fuel cap or nothing will come out)

un clip the fuel pipes just before the rear axle and drain in to a tub job done(make sure you remove the fuel cap or nothing will come out)

thanks for quick reply, Is that all I need? do I need to look after the filters? etc etc?

Luckily I didn't turn on the engine but once turn on ignition to open the window is that have any connection on the pump?

I had to drain the tank recently on my wife's vehicle. The fuel pump was going bad and couldn't produce enough pressure to run the injectors. I pulled the fuel line near the filter and jumped out the fuel pump relay so the pump would run continuously. Luckily there was enough life left in the pump to completely drain it into a fuel can.

After you drain it and fill up with diesel, what little petrol that would be left in the system will be so diluted it should have no effect.

if you take out the back seats and pull the carpet out, you'll see where the fuel sender and pump are. I would nip down to machine mart and get a "dril pump" - this is a pump that goes on the end of a drill, also get some hose to go over the ends and then pump it out.

In Scandinavia they often put 2l of petrol into 50l of diesel to stop it freezing. The Cetane number should not be that badly affected so you can run it with a little in the bottom.

if you take out the back seats and pull the carpet out, you'll see where the fuel sender and pump are. I would nip down to machine mart and get a "dril pump" - this is a pump that goes on the end of a drill, also get some hose to go over the ends and then pump it out.

In Scandinavia they often put 2l of petrol into 50l of diesel to stop it freezing. The Cetane number should not be that badly affected so you can run it with a little in the bottom.

back in about 1986 my vw jetta td that was indirect injection with rotary pump,the handbook advised putting petrol in with the diesel in winter.i forgot what the percentage was,but was quite high.

what is the ratio roughly of diesel to petrol?

if i had half a tank of diesel and i accidentally put £10 or £12 of petrol in what i would do is just fill the rest up with diesel and just run the car, the d4d is a pretty hardy engine and doesn't complain that much. diesel in a petrol is much worse cos the diesel is thicker than petrol.

that's just my opinion and i'm stating what i would do. i will not be held accountable for any damage done to your vehicle (or anyone else's who tries my method) as a result of following what i stated above.

Go down the model shop and get some 35% nitros fuel and put that in.. Could be a laugh?

thanks for quick reply, Is that all I need? do I need to look after the filters? etc etc?

Luckily I didn't turn on the engine but once turn on ignition to open the window is that have any connection on the pump?

you have not run your car so you dont need to worrie about a fuel filter....this is the way we do it at work...just park the car up and disconnect the pipes you can turn the ignition on and off a few times to hurry the process

• 9 years later...

Hi I was putting fuel into my 98 Corolla with a  funnel and a 15cm plastic tube came off and fell in.how  can I remove 

Hi.

The only way in is via the fuel pump unit under the back seat.

Once that unit is removed you will have to 'fish' for the plastic tube, though expect thats not going to be easy unless you can see it floating.

Even if you run the car so the tank appears empty, its still  going to be very danagerous as the fumes may affect you or risk explosion and fire !

You may think you could leave it in there as the tank itself is a type of plastic, well the later models are,  but the tube may soften or disolve over time  and block up the entire fuel system ...???

Might be a job for a garage who can safely remove and drain the tank.

Claissa, not Toyota, but I have been 'in' fuel tanks twice.  Once in a car where the tank access was below the boot floor and I did it myself, the other when the access was as described for above for the Toyota.  The access was quite large and not something I did myself.  Lots of screws and always a risk.  I would run the car until the fuel level is low, I suspect in your case it is already low, and then get someone else to do the work.

It should not take too long and therefore not too expensive.