Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen 2

RNS

hello all...

a friend of my is looking at getting a Gen 2 prius..... what sort of things should we/him be looking out for IE any known faults with age or wear...... and do u think its ok to get one that done over 100,000 miles

once again sorry about my spelling.

hello all...

a friend of my is looking at getting a Gen 2 prius..... what sort of things should we/him be looking out for IE any known faults with age or wear...... and do u think its ok to get one that done over 100,000 miles

Hi. Mine is coming up to 2 years old and 20k miles so not much to report. Paint is soft so prone to scratching but that is the case with all newish cars these days. My front tyres have worn to 3 or 4 mm so will need replacing before the winter. Interior trim on arm rests seems not hard wearing. So all good really - wouldn't risk one over 100k myself - think that would be out of warranty on hybrid parts - not worth the risk as there are lots of lower mileage ones about at reasonable prices...

Cheers, David

Hi,

I bought a 2007 t-spirit just over a month ago. One thing to note is that if you do go for the t-spirit model then the reverse camera/auto park feature only became standard in December 2006 so any cars before this will not have the camera unless it was optionally bought by the original buyer. The car you linked on autotrader is a 2006 and there isn't any mention of the camera so do ask the seller for clarification. It may seem a bit gimmicky but the camera is seriously very useful especially with the awkward rear windows in the prius.

I bought mine for £6900 (after a LOT of negotiation!) with 80K on the clock so they are available in that price range. Good luck with your search B)

hello all...

Hi RNS.... 100k ? I wouldn't go anywhere near any car that had done 100k... Let alone a Prius!!

I know that the are long lived, the cabs in Vancouver and Toronto have proved that, but a private vehicle ? A definite no no...

Surely there must be some lower mileage ones around that your mate could afford... Don't forget that the gen2's came with an 8 year 100k warranty on the batteries so I'd reckon Toyota estimate the batteries would be good for 110/120k perhaps....

I'm going to buck the trend here a little and say that I wouldn't normally have a problem with buying a 100k mile Toyota. Most of mine have done well over that and all they ever required was routine servicing.

I'd be a little more careful when buying a Prius though as there doesn't seem to be that much info in this country regarding high mileage vehicles yet. Sure there are lots in the States and Canada and I can't see why here wouldn't be any different. But it would probably help to set money aside in case two of the larger things fail on the hybrid side, mainly the Battery pack or the inverter.

Personally my feeling with all Toyotas though is just get as lower mileage example as you can and make sure it has a full Toyota service history. If it doesn't then walk away.

thanks for all ur input.... ill talk with him later.... i am starting to wonder if there any other autos with good MPG out there... when i was thnking all that came to mind was the prius. with road tax and mpg nothing beats it.

I suppose some Auto diesels could get close to the Prius, but you'd be talking more expensive modern models with dual clutch transmission etc. Slush autos give quite a hit to economy even on diesels.

best i can find is a colt but the road tax is alot more and at the min there a 4.5% cost differences between the fuels

Hi RNS.... 100k ? I wouldn't go anywhere near any car that had done 100k... Let alone a Prius!!

I know that the are long lived, the cabs in Vancouver and Toronto have proved that, but a private vehicle ? A definite no no...

Surely there must be some lower mileage ones around that your mate could afford... Don't forget that the gen2's came with an 8 year 100k warranty on the batteries so I'd reckon Toyota estimate the batteries would be good for 110/120k perhaps....

On the Gen 2, the hybrid warranty covers all the main hybrid components and transmission, not just the HV Battery which is all that is covered on the extended part of the Gen 3 hybrid warranty.

Just arranged PX for my immaculate 14,400 miles Prius T Spirit at the local dealers. I tried to sell it privately over the last month but all the private buyers made promises but never kept them. Here is just one example: I waited in all day for Taxi driver from Nottingham to come to view the car, he never showed and never had the decency to cancel the arrangement. I do not recommend selling privately it is far to frustrating. RNS if you want an immaculate Prius T Spirit check out my local dealer after Friday 25th March.

Just arranged PX for my immaculate 14,400 miles Prius T Spirit at the local dealers. I tried to sell it privately over the last month but all the private buyers made promises but never kept them. Here is just one example: I waited in all day for Taxi driver from Nottingham to come to view the car, he never showed and never had the decency to cancel the arrangement. I do not recommend selling privately it is far to frustrating. RNS if you want an immaculate Prius T Spirit check out my local dealer after Friday 25th March.

What did you buy Chris?

Bought new Gen 3 T Spirit in Pearl White.

:thumbsup: I got one of those too!! niiiicceeee :yahoo:

Hi RNS,

My last Prius (2008, 08 reg) is still in the family, and is now on the downward run to 90,000. No work has been needed other than routine services, a few Wiper Blades, and one set of tyres. There is no indication that anything unusual is wearing, or likely to need replacing.

• Oil still doesn't need topping up between services.
  • Brake pads are original, and look likely to be around for a long time yet.
  • Wiper Blades have been replaced by beam blades.
  • Original Bridgestone tyres were replaced in pairs between 40 and 50,000 miles. They were relaced with Michelin Energy Savers. These are much quieter than the Bridgestones, and look to take the car over 100,000. Definitely longer lasting and better all round than the Bridgestones.
  • It has still got it's full hybrid warranty in place, at a time when the weasel warranties on my Gen III will be long gone (but not forgotten, Toyota :censor: :ffs:)
  • A fair few stone chips on the bonnet. All small, but showing white through the black paint

If your friend buys the car at less than 7 years old, or below 100,000 miles, It is probably worth buying the Toyota extended warranty if you want one or two more years warm feeling.

Anyway, this is a revelation after the last two diesels (Renault Laguna and Honda Civic). I replaced both when it was clear that some expensive repairs were on the way.

The Renault at 70,000 was showing the first signs of turbo failure (which Renault would have paid for), serious signs of impending dual-mass flywheel collapse. As well as an upcoming service that needed cambelt replacement (at a cost greater than Prius Battery replacement!)

The Honda dual-mass flywheel was also suffering at 50,000 miles. It wasn't certain that it would die within the warranty period, or even if Honda would replace it under warranty if it did)

Hi Just been reading the posts, I bought a 04 Prius T-Spirit off E-bay 2 months ago with 160,000m on the clock,

Managed to get 56mpg on the way back home about 100m. There are a few things wrong with it

It has full Toyota service history with manly motorway miles

CV joints noisy on turns

Exhaust centre pipe broken at rear flange

Front brake pads squealing

Cracked front fog light

Stone chips on bonnet

Been after one of these for years but couldn't afford one, Lucky for me no one bid on it, Plus being a technician

for Lexus/Toyota i hope i don't have too many problems,

Also on a note of high mileage i used to own a corolla gti that had done over 600k, the body gave up before the engine, And just retired my previa with 190k on the clock

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links