Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Suspected Petrol Theft?

PaulGP

Just filled up today & ended up with a few litres on the garage forecourt - literally pouring out from underneath the car. It eventually eased up enough for me to get home & call the AA man out. He fixed it in minutes advising someone had loosened the fuel pipe in an attempt to steal petrol - he was 100% sure that was the case & that in no way could it have come loose on its own.

Just a bit of a warning to others to watch out - I was a little shocked at first but with rising fuel costs I can imagine this sort of thing is going to be on the increase.

Anyone had a similar thing happen to them?

Happened to a guy I shared a house with years ago. Another motorist spotted a trail of fuel coming from his car and let him know. The fuel pipe had been pulled apart to steal fuel.

This will probably become a bigger problem along with people driving off without paying at service stations. It does show the intelligence (or lack of) of these people - if a smart person wanted to steal petrol they would have tried a car with a bigger tank!

I know the price of fuel is going through the roof. But to mess about with someones pride and joy is bang out of order! I'd keep a look out for the little :censor: and give him something to think about the next time he tried it! :boxing::bash:

I think a suitable punishment would be to pour some of the stolen petrol over them and throw a lit match in their direction...

Did the AA man show you or tell you where the pipe was loose? I'd have to look at

my photos, but I have my doubts on accessibility of this pipe without using a jack...

I DO know that on a particular type of older Suzuki (I believ the previous Alto) the

filler pipe IS easily accessed and fuel can be stolen from thos in this way.

Maybe that's why AA man was so adament on this being the case?

I think a suitable punishment would be to pour some of the stolen petrol over them and throw a lit match in their direction...

Na.... Make 'em drink it!

Did the AA man show you or tell you where the pipe was loose? I'd have to look at

my photos, but I have my doubts on accessibility of this pipe without using a jack...

I DO know that on a particular type of older Suzuki (I believ the previous Alto) the

filler pipe IS easily accessed and fuel can be stolen from thos in this way.

Maybe that's why AA man was so adament on this being the case?

he did show me - they loosened the screw on the jubilee clip from the pipe to the tank - not too difficult to get to without a jack. I just spoke to my neighbour 3 doors down - told me his neighbour saw some guys out the back (communal car park) about a week ago at midnight checking out various cars - they had a tube in hand - he called the cops & they scarpered. I have let a few other neighbours know what has been going on. I would string em up by their wobbly bits!!!

Amazing what some will go to for a drop of fuel. Sounds like to me that its heading to something like Mel Gibbsons Enter the Thunder dome! I'd love to catch someone doing that to my car! I think thats where my 4th Dan in Aikido would come into use! :yes:

I'm paranoid about fuel theft these days, I've ordered a new fiesta which has no lock on the flap and a capless fuel tank, so anyone walking past can open the flap and access the tank. Even more worrying than fuel theft is that someone could pour something into my fuel tank and damage my engine :unsure:

I found the picture I had on my mind:

100_1174.JPG

So I guess you're right: it IS fairly easily accessed...

As for the Fiesta: wouldn't the flap lock with the central locking?

Jan - do you mind not swearing please .... :thumbsup:

Jan - do you mind not swearing please...

Sorry... But it was Steve who tricked me into doing so :P

Jan - do you mind not swearing please...

Sorry... But it was Steve who tricked me into doing so :P

Forgiven :yahoo:

:lol: no, they say it doesn't lock with the central locking. In the US the problem has gotten so bad that Ford have been forced to make an optional locking cap but it apparently does not fit EU models.

Hey, don't abuse my Fiesta, you two are driving CITROENS disguised as Toyotas! :yahoo:

Folks, just a thought, with the helpful description of how fuel was stolen and the very clear pictures - could we exercise a degree of restraint in that this is a publicly viewable forum that, if you didn't have the intention to, could now actually go and attempt to steal fuel from all Aygos.

I would ask everyone to exercise a degree of restraint and avoid being too helpful ... you don't know who is reading and the ideas they can formulate.

This isn't a flame, just a word of cauton.

I'm paranoid about fuel theft these days, I've ordered a new fiesta which has no lock on the flap and a capless fuel tank, so anyone walking past can open the flap and access the tank. Even more worrying than fuel theft is that someone could pour something into my fuel tank and damage my engine :unsure:

Thats no different to my Auris, or any of the last few cars i have owned (Mondeo ST, Fabia vRS or SEAT Leon FR MK1) and none of them ever had fuel stolen or contamination put in because the flap is operated by a soleniod inside the car, and is locked from the central locking.

You were probably more at risk from the caps that needed a key as a flat headed screw driver and a hammer would easily get them open and render them useless.

Hey, don't abuse my Fiesta, you two are driving CITROENS disguised as Toyotas! :yahoo:

lol - I wasn't abusing your car, just having a go at Jan for swearing :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links