Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Crushed Sill And Dented Door

viper262

Need some help i have dented my door and crushed my side skirt in on a bollard while trying to avoid an idiot in a car park anyone got any on the spot quotes or any advice on where i should take it to i am not going to go through my insurance im going to pay it straight out rather than through insurance company any advice would be appreciated

pics will be provided soon when its light :) its dark atm

It will T cut out! ;)

But seriously when you get your quote for the repair toa dented door and a replacement side sill you may just want to get it fixed by your insurance.

On reflection there appears to have been more than one idiot in the car park ;)

Need to see the pics of the damage fella. No one can give any quote without seeing what work needs done. If the damage is on the side skirt its going to be difficult to fix. Unlike the danage to the door. You can "pop" out dents, but its hard to ket behind the sideskirt as there isnt any acces areas. Might need to use some body filla, and also a re-spray is NEVER any good as its hard to match the manufacturers orginal paint work.

The Damage! it was those low down Stone Bollards was to low down for me to see as i was trying to avoid this women i looked to my left nothing there turned to avoid her and bang

[urlhttp://img850.imageshack.us/i/photo293.jpg/

http://img842.imageshack.us/f/photo294.jpg/

http://img232.imageshack.us/i/photo295j.jpg/

I very much doubt that you will get much change from £1000.

The paint and materials alone will be at least £250.

Most car body shops are dominated my insurance company work now and won't do old-fashioned "cash deals" (a number are even owned by insurance co's!). The guy who does my bodywork said £800-900, but of course subject to seeing the car. It will be more if the door needs to be re-skinned.

Viper262 - As you are in West Yorkshire I know a really good bodyshop in Bradford if you want to get a quote for having it done outside of insurance.

They have been around years, old school set up, but really know their stuff. They did an excellent repair on a dint in the door of my X type. They also did a similar repair to yours on a colleague's S type - he caught a low wall and damaged the sill and passenger door.

Knowing their charges I doubt it would be £1,000.

Same happened to my mrs. she sliced into the rear wheel arch and and had to have panel beating and re weild on her old aygo... that guy was in wakefield and did it cheap (mazda and toyota didnt notice)

The bar inside the door has been bent and would be better to have a whole new door rather than put a new skin on it got 7 quotes ranging from £525 - £1030 around Wakefield ill have to wait till i get paid and see what there is first garage says he can repair the door, last garage i been to says he wouldn't even attempt repairing the door and needs a news one, went through lists of some of the things garages are gonna charge for a new Headrest :S and seat belt and carpets XD yes cause there outside the car aren't they i suppose this is what happened if you don't read the small print garage will charge you for anything if you do it through insurance thanks for your help guys ill keep you posted :)

First of all, I apologise for my previous message,a nd the typos on there. I didnt proof read my last message.

Also I m sorry to hear about your wee prang. Must be hard for you. I ve had some nasty brangs before where paint has been scratched, and metal has been bent. My prangs were less severe though. The reason why I asked for photos is because you mentioend side skirts, and I kinda beleived it would bt at the lower curved part. You dont actually need a new door UNLESS you dont want a side respray. The problem is the body shop wants to get the job done quicker but with some bothced jobs you can actuall see the "door" colour being a different colour. I dont think you`ll have a problem with your car being black as black is easy to match.

My mums car door got replaced, and you just knew from a distance it was a different door, as the whole door was a different colour to the car. The problem with this is when you come to sell the car. Buyers may be put off as they thibk its been in a crash.

Looks like its going to be a metal grider job, and cut the side skirt back,a nd then refill with body filler. :(

I think it would be best to replace the door. There are aygos being scrapped regularly and you should be able to get a good second hand door. If you're really lucky, you'll get one the same colour, so you only have the respray the outer part. A brand new replacement door would be very expensive, as you will be charged for the labour costs to remove all glass, locks, etc. from the old door and refit into new door. The only part to be swapped over on a second hand door would be the lock.

The sill looks like it needs to be replaced. This has to be done properly by a garage that has the right equipment. It's an important structural part of the car, so I wouldn't trust any backstreet guys that will tell you it'll come out fine with a few belts of a hammer and a lick of paint.

Proper repair will also be needed to maintain the car's anti corrosion warranty.

Thanks for all your help guys one garage mentioned that if i did just a repair with out replacing the whole door like replacing the skin rust might start to appear around the outer edges of the door :( so i dunno maybe it would be better to get a whole new door but another garage who said they would replace the door did say they would paint the whole side of my car so it all matched which sounded good they were asking £600 including labor and paint before parts, they said they would cut the sill section off weld a new piece on smooth it out and repaint on it but Kevin you bring up a valid point needs to be a proper repair to maintain the anti corrosion warranty, AygoIron man some garage have said they will try and pull the sill out and mould it back in to shape others have said they will cut a section off and weld a new section back on, hasn't stopped me loving and driving my Aygo tho :) not one bit been all over it in today :)

thanks for all your help guys im going to check up on how much my insurance would go up if i claimed through insurance as excess would be £350 so ill just see if it's worth it or should i pay it outright as both options are available and my family will help me pay for the damage :)

If i need a door i could just search for a black 107, Aygo, or C1 so its good thing those cars are everywhere! in Wakefield

Right im off to bed now really appreciate all the advice guys :)

Just put a little something on my car to cheer self up :)

photo301y.jpg

Was told there is a push bar in the door which has been bent, and it is unsafe to use the door now as it will have lost its strength due to the bar being bent anyone verify this? also whats the opinion of people new door? or door repair just getting ideas and opinions from diff rent people :)

One garage said they will repair the door the guy even came out the with a massive suction cup stuck it on the panel and banged around it with a wooden hammer and it popped out and popped back in to shape but that new information about the push bar still concerns me, the other six said they will replaced the door and not even attempt a repair due to the push bar being damaged

If the inner structure of the door has been compromised (an I think it has) it might very well be more expensive to repair than too get another

door. Especially if you get a door from a breaker. That might save you a couple of hundred £££ without comprimising safety or looks...

The sill needs to be replaced I guess, not something I could do myself, but the door is quite easily done yourself...

Well Jan i have 11 quotes and 2 garages have said they will repair the door and the sill and the other's have said they would not even attempt to repair because of the safety aspect of the push bar being bent, they said £199 for a new door but ill look around at breakers yards and see what i can find i suppose it doesn't need to be black they could just paint it after although they said they will paint the whole side of the car to make it all match and blend :)

For goodness sake, the side impact beams are there for one reason, to strengthen the door in the event of an accident. The beam has done it's job in this case and while you could repair the door, you should REPLACE the door, without question

I see customers every single day of the year who bump there cars (or somebody elses) and say "I will be paying for it" that is until they find out how much bodywork costs to repair. This looks like a job for your insurance company, it might not cost as much as you think to your future premiums, you may even have a protected no claims. Most repairers would "blend" the repair into the rest of the car, ( unless you are paying for a cheap bodge job) you should not be able to tell where repairs have been, just spraying a new door and the paint to be chalk and cheese to the rest of the car is history these days

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thanks Kingo no i don't have Protected No claims we are just looking at all options at the moment :) and that's what i want :) not being able to tell where the repair has been done :) sounds good, no i will be getting the door replaced no worries about that :) i am not having it repaid, to compromise the safety of my passengers :)

Take it to your local dealer, they will have all the right tools, parts, paints etc to maintain your body warranty. The way to look at it is what effect will it have on your premium? What if it went up 50%, then that is only say £200 on a £400 premium, still significantly cheaper than paying one lump sum to repair it right now

Speak to your insurnace company to see how it affect future premiums

Kingo :thumbsup:

Good news :) the cost for this years insurance was £700 last year when i renewed i have tried several different things £550 with 2 years NCB if i repaired out my own pocket costing me £1000, £698 with a claim through insurance for £1000 worth of damage and NCB lost so i think I am gonna put it through insurance + get a courtesy car and my car picked up and delivered back :) when fixed :)

since my excess is only £550 :) and if next years insurance will still be less £698 Fully comp with Admiral with a Excess of £150 :)

UPDATE: booked car to go in on monday morning they are dropping me off a courtesy car

My courtesy car is coming tomorrow they said they have Peugeot 107's i hope i get one at least it will handle like an Aygo for abit i do not want a Clio or a Bubble wrap Corsa

my courtesy car was delivered this morning they rang me and asked me what i wanted they gave me a choice between a Skoda Fabia or a Peugeot 107 so i choose a 107 as its more or less same handling as Aygo :) they came and loaded up my Aygo and i said good bye to my Aygo :( they said the cost of the repair is £852.50 and will take till next Wednesday :)

Gave it a quick hose down it was v dirty and i couldn't see out the windows :P

photo310y.jpg

photo306s.jpg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links