Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Shell Vs Tesco

thaiad24

If you're using V-Power diesel the DPF purge cycles should happen a lot less frequently than with normal diesel!

I have tried Shell, BP, Asda, Tesco, Morrison and best results I have got so far: BP.

Honeslty, best mpg is coming out from BP Diesel.

I have tried Shell, BP, Asda, Tesco, Morrison and best results I have got so far: BP.

Honeslty, best mpg is coming out from BP Diesel.

Hi Sam,

It would be interesting to know how much more Mpg you get from the BP fuel Vs the others. :thumbsup:

If you're using V-Power diesel the DPF purge cycles should happen a lot less frequently than with normal diesel!

I've found this to be true using the V-Power over "Normal" Derv. :thumbsup:

I've found this to be true using the V-Power over "Normal" Derv. :thumbsup:

With V power, my car acceleration improved but overall MPG dropped. I never tried that again.

Difference

Tesco: 35 MPG

Asda: 34-35 MPG

Shell: 36-37

V Power: 36

BP: 38-39

Mind you my front driver side bearing needs to be replaced and hence getting low mpg. But all these readings are with humming noise and with faulty bearing.

Hope it helps.

Big difference from Tesco's to BP fuel. Might have to do some reserch on BP derv to see what goes into it compared to the likes of Shell fuels. :thumbsup:

Here a spanner in the works. I usually use Shell fuelsave and travel 800 miles to work and back weekly. With Shell I get 50mpg, 75mph using cruise control as much as possible. Last time filled up at Morrisons as Shell prices suddenly went stupid, got 54mpg. Confused???????????

Here a spanner in the works. I usually use Shell fuelsave and travel 800 miles to work and back weekly. With Shell I get 50mpg, 75mph using cruise control as much as possible. Last time filled up at Morrisons as Shell prices suddenly went stupid, got 54mpg. Confused???????????

Lol. I more confussed now than I ever want to be! hahaha

You need to be careful with Morrisons fuel as it contains more Bio fuel than the rest, so you may be doing your engine more harm in the long run as very few engines have been built to tolerate bio fuel over 5%

I'm convinced this is true, as i have not seen any evidence of my car having a DPG regeneration and i've done 6000k miles since i collected it in November.

You need to be careful with Morrisons fuel as it contains more Bio fuel than the rest, so you may be doing your engine more harm in the long run as very few engines have been built to tolerate bio fuel over 5%

Thats a very good point about the Morrisons Bio fuel. I wonder what affect this would have on my Avensis T-180. Never tried Bio fuel. Think I'll just stick to the Shell V-Power. :thumbsup:

Biodiesel is great stuff (As opposed to bioethanol, which is a pile of suck).

Bioethanol has far better lubricity than mineral diesel which the injectors love. It has a higher cetane level which means it burns better and it burns cleaner with less soot and lower emissions and also helps clean out the engine.

Why don't we all use 100% diesel blends?! I hear you cry

Well, there are downsides: While all other emissions go down, NOx goes through the roof. Next, the diesel cleans the engine a bit too well and you'll have to change your fuel filter a few times over the first few tanks. Lastly, it eats organic rubber - hoses, seals etc. (Luckily almost no diesel car uses organic rubber in the fuel system anymore!)

And finally, it is taxed the same as normal diesel so the costs aren't that much better!

(This isn't all totally correct but it is a rough idea of the current state of the art AFAIK :))

I should not be getting much in the way of purge cycles anyway mate, mine is only used on long runs, I head out to work late on a Sunday night, come back on a Friday night, distance is normally 220 - 420 ish miles, I park it up in the week and walk to work each day and at the weekends use the wifes Polo, the MX-5 or the Fireblade depending on the mood. The Avensis is just the workhorse to get to and from cutomer sites.

Normally at that time of night I can get away with cruising at 80 - ish as the roads are empty (that's a BIG ish btw) and I can get 40 - 42 mpg, driving sedately at around 70-75 it's only getting up to 45mpg. I may as well thrash it for the sake of a couple of mpg and get to the hotel a good while earlier :)

Mmmmmm that sounds like a plan I will go with. I am getting a chronic 33.1mpg from my Vermont at the moment. How come the temperature outside makes such a difference?

Mmmmmm that sounds like a plan I will go with. I am getting a chronic 33.1mpg from my Vermont at the moment. How come the temperature outside makes such a difference?

Cooler air is denser, helping the motor run more efficiently. A cold crisp winter morning is like having a free remap :)

The poor old prius boys have it the other way in colder weather, our mpg improves, theirs drops as the prius has to run the ICE to keep warm.

33.1mpg is yours a petrol or a diseasel :)? if it's a petrol I would say 33.1mpg is pretty good as an average.

I thought colder weather causes diesels to do less mpg?

Certainly mine has improved since weather warmed up and my mpg increased hugely last summer in France.

Or am I being a complete muppet and missing something?

I thought colder weather causes diesels to do less mpg?

Certainly mine has improved since weather warmed up and my mpg increased hugely last summer in France.

Or am I being a complete muppet and missing something?

No you're not a muppet you are both right, when the weather is cold and the engine is not at full temp, ie from first starting it the engine will run rich and use more fuel but when the engine is at full working temp using cold damp dense air it will be using less fuel than when the ambient temp is hot and dry. A lot of cold start short journeys in winter will use more fuel that the same journeys in summer. Just to add an intercooler is used with a turbo diesel to cool the intake air making it more dense and so increase power and economy.

Pete.

just an update from my 1st post

I ran the tank dry again last week and put in some Shell Vpower, i drove from leeds to stoke and back and was getting 54mpg on the motorway. again on monday night the tank was empty so i again filled up with Vpower and on my usual work run im averaging 52-53 mpg.

i guess fuel does make a difference!!!!, i think im Vpower all the way now

cheers :yahoo:

Ive been saying it for years :thumbsup:

All you guys are talking about diesel here - do I assume it is the same for petrol and if so has anyone

on the board had similar experiences with petrol - ie the Shells and BPs of this world giving better

mpg even though they maybe more expensive?

Thanks

Shell and BP do have a detergent package in their petrol, and Vpower is meant to be very good for higher performance cars, but i've read an independant report online somewhere that Tesco's 99ron was actually better than Shell's 99ron, but after the problems they had a few years back where they contaminated the fuel, i stay well away from them.

The only real way to find out, is to try it for yourself.

I ran the tank dry again last week and put in some shell Vpower, i drove from leeds to stoke and back and was getting 54mpg on the motorway. again on monday night the tank was empty so i again filled up with Vpower and on my usual work run im averaging 52-53 mpg.

i guess fuel does make a difference!!!!, i think im Vpower all the way now

I'm getting that from the Shell Fuelsave Diesel

Just committed the cardinal sin of sins today after reading these posts. Having used Tesco diesel from day 1 of owning my Avesis Tourer, I decided to give the car a treat today with Shell V Power. Drove into local Shell dealer, up to the pump with black hose lines and picked up the pump which indicated V Power. 21 Litres later and still going strong, it suddenly dawned on me that the rubber cover next to the pump trigger was green. £185 later with contaminated fuel drained and tank flushed with additives, I was then on my way again with a full tank of Shell Diesel V Power. Going slightly off topic here, but whilst I own up to be less than careful in doing what I did, and speaking to the AA guy who got me going again, this is a common occurence on Shell forecourts! Signage distinguishing unleaded from diesel is not obvious, and all hose lines are black.

I thought that I was a reasonably switched on person, but I have to say that I am less than 100% confident now in ever revisiting a Shell filling station. Might just now put up with the best Tesco can offer. At least their hose lines and pumps are very clearly marked and you really would have to be asleep to make the same mistake.

Fortunately for me, I did not attempt to start the car. That would have been an even bigger mistake with a 5 year warranty down the pan.

Shell petrol has a GREEN handle.

Shell diesel has a Black handle.

The fuel save and V-power are identified by writing.

Sorry, but blaming your mistake on the colour of a hose is ridiculous. Always read the writing on the handle you have picked up, and see which price has lit up on the pump.

It could happen to anyone! Just one lapse in concentration... pulled in after a long run... cute girl in the car across the OH **** I'VE FILLED MY TANK WITH WATER :eek:

:lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links