Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Car

Chris Dance

I am just about to get my new Prius Gen 3. I should have picked up yesterday if the bank and its associates had not mishandled the transaction. It should be early next week now. I have been on the phone most of today trying to get my money back from where the bank sent it. What a nightmare. The salesman has offered a service plan for the new car and it seems like a decent thing to have as cost of servicing cars is rising and the price of oil is more than likely to go up a lot. What are members views on the Toyota service plan? Any unused money gets refunded if you move area and you can pay by direct debit instalments at no extra charge.

I took out a service plan when I got my Gen2 a month ago. My logic was that I wasn't going to earn much in interest having the cash saved and as inflation is higher than savings interest rates, the cost of servicing would only go up. It therefore appeared the dealer was having the larger risk than I was.

Of course in two years time I could find out my view was flawed !

Peter

Check out the admin costs of the plan - they may be higher than you think.. Yes they will tell you that it is no cost and interest free, but if you sell the car mid term expect to 'pay' the fee somewhere.

Check out the admin costs of the plan - they may be higher than you think.. Yes they will tell you that it is no cost and interest free, but if you sell the car mid term expect to 'pay' the fee somewhere.

We have a service plan on our Prius, 14 quid a month for 30 months gives 3 services and i think the first mot is included as well...

I think it's a good deal, but certainly easier than finding it in one go!

Our first three services are included thanks to Toyota marketing. When I do the sums I've never found service plans particularly attractive personally. But it all depends on how much it is, £420 for three services at a main dealer (I assume two oil changes and one major services) is not too bad.

I was assured there are no extra costs. From the general opinion it looks a good deal so I think I will take it up.

Our first three services are included thanks to Toyota marketing. When I do the sums I've never found service plans particularly attractive personally. But it all depends on how much it is, £420 for three services at a main dealer (I assume two oil changes and one major services) is not too bad.

Yeah I received 3 years free servicing when buying new Prius recently, how long does it take to receive vouchers from Toyota for this and club Toyota membership?

we had ours within a week, but the delivery papers made it clear immediately.

We got ours for the Aygo within a week...

I have had two such plans and one is still running (on my wife's Yaris). The service plan finance was provided through the garage by Emap.

......and I too was assured that there are no additional costs... until the following happened.

I took out the plan with my Prius Gen2 (thinking it was a great scheme) until I did a few more miles that expected that meant the car had to go in for its second service 2-3 months early. I was then presented with a bill for £98, which was a big shock as you can imagine and so I asked for a statement of payments to try to understand why i was being charged £98 and not 3x£15.

This clearly showed that when the scheme was set up, my account was debited by £45 (ish) as a service fee from Emap. I was astounded and protested but they said that when the final service arrives, the garage pays the difference and so it would all work out to 'no extra fee'.

Then I decided to change my Prius Gen2 for a Prius Gen3 because of the extra miles.

I opted for free servicing and cancelled the service plan. My calculations showed that I should have been £95 in credit...but oh no! Take off the £25 early cancellation penalty and then the £45 admin costs and I was offered about £30. Annoyed is not the word and I explained to them the meaning of 'no hidden costs'.

The point here is that if you let the plan run for its term, never do extra miles, then all might be OK, but be aware that if you dont follow any of these rules (and at all times as far as Emap are concerned) you may owe this admin fee.

Personally, I won't be buying one of these plans again (I would rather save into my own savings plan).

Just be aware that when they say there won't be any extra costs, this is for the service only, which I've always had done for a fixed fee (Minor/major) anyway.

Anything extra (e.g. anti-roll bar bushes, gearbox and brake/clutch oil changes, air/fuel filter changes, brakes pads etc.) won't be covered by the service plan which you'll have to pay for if they are done!

So make sure read the service plan to see exactly what is covered!

The Club Toyota thing is deffo worth sticking with tho', if only for the AA stuff. It's not as good as a 'real' AA membership as it only covers you in that car ('real' AA membership is you in any car) but it's the maximum AA cover which normally costs 2-3 times the Club Toyota membership! :D

The scheme is administered by EMAP on behalf of your dealer. Just like any other financial plan / payment /re-payment, there are costs involved for the dealer and EMAP, and small penalties will apply if you close the plan early, just like paying off finance or a loan early. it is all explained in the documentation

With interest rates on your savings at an all time low, the service plan is good value for money, you fix your payments today and the price stays the same for the next 2 / 3 years or whatever you have chosen

Kingo :thumbsup:

Got my new Prius Gen 3 T Spirit today.

The bank was a nightmare but after major hassle even right up to the last moment we got payment to the dealer with more bank fees to ourselves. The whole bank ordeal took 4 days. The bank put the funds in a holding bank and according to them they could not get them back and the dealer could not access the funds. Spent about £70 in phone calls to the bank over 4 days, they have refunded £50. Took all the joy out of getting the car. We are now changing to another bank.

First impressions of the car are how easy it is to drive and how smooth the car is. Have to get more used to the varied displays. My mobile phone was easy to load and the all my phone contacts. Just got to set up the hands free so I can phone by using voice. I found a small oblong piece of plastic in the boot I cannot figure out where it comes from. Pleased to say although the car looks massive in the showroom it fits into our garage just fine. I have only been doing local runs so have only used ECO. Took out the service plan it seemed fair enough to me. Look forward to some happy motoring now.

What are members views on the Toyota service plan? Any unused money gets refunded if you move area and you can pay by direct debit instalments at no extra charge.

I've done it both ways - DIY savings plan and a Toyota Service Plan no DD charges [For the lazy types].

The only thing that came up when I cancelled a Service Plan was that it cost me £20 for admin costs, but got my balance refunded. :mellow:

I considered this fair enough especially as I had asked when I bought it what would happen if I cancelled and I was told a fee would be charged. B)

Another physiological bonus that happens with a plan is that I seem to remember that you pay off the plan well before your last service is due. It just seems that you've gained something, but of course you've just completed the DD plan. :clap:

............... I found a small oblong piece of plastic in the boot I cannot figure out where it comes from. .................

When I bought my ex-demo car I found two plastic lozenge shapes about 2cm by 4cm in the glove box. The packaging said they must be fitted at the PDI. I took them back to the garage and the service manager knelt by the car and popped them into holes underneath the car about level with the drivers seat. He explained they fill the fixing holes that are used to tie the cars down on the boat.

I considered this fair enough especially as I had asked when I bought it what would happen if I cancelled and I was told a fee would be charged/quote]

Sorry to labour this - but too many garages are overselling the plan (in my opinion) and saying things like 'no hidden charges' 'zero % interest' etc which is just untrue. I also knew that there was a cancellation charge of £25 but wasn't told about the upfront admin charge on the 'account' of about £45.

Also be aware that the service centers love the service plan because it guarantees your business for 3 years - you wont go off for your service to another garage - and they have a better forecast of their business. This is why the garages will 'hide' the fee.

............... I found a small oblong piece of plastic in the boot I cannot figure out where it comes from. .................

When I bought my ex-demo car I found two plastic lozenge shapes about 2cm by 4cm in the glove box. The packaging said they must be fitted at the PDI. I took them back to the garage and the service manager knelt by the car and popped them into holes underneath the car about level with the drivers seat. He explained they fill the fixing holes that are used to tie the cars down on the boat.

The one I found in the boot was an access cover, that fits in a hole in the lower boot tray, for the rear hatch catch.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links