Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What To Get Next

GeoffreyPF

Hey everyone,

I have a Toyota Corolla T2 (5 door) and want to make more changes. I already have a Pioneer Double Din Dvd screen with bluetooth and JL Audio sub with JBL amp (I'll upload pictures of the subs soon) also I'm getting my windows tinted sometime in April too.

But I wanted to know what to get next HID 6000K or 8000k lights. I've heard 6000k doesn't blind people whilst the 8000k does. Please give me some adivce on what one's to get and why OR should I just get a rear spoiler?

Thanks!

Pictures of my car so far:

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?app=gallery&module=user&user=100260&do=view_album&album=1264

well since 6000k are brighter than 8000k i would say 6000k are more likely to "blind" people. however hids of any colour temperature can "blind" people if not adjusted correctly and aligned..

i personally prefer 8000k but such a ballache to change every year for mot. plus they are noticably blue(why they look so cool) but also noticably illegal :(

defo get a spoiler

I have 8k's and mine are ok, never get flashed because there too bright. The beam pattern is incorect though so it wont pass an mot.

I have 8k's and mine are ok, never get flashed because there too bright. The beam pattern is incorect though so it wont pass an mot.

Under the new MOT rules no retro fitted HIDS will pass an MOT.....

me and sizzla got the replica t sport spoilers of eBay so i would recommend that and i got 8k hids and they look awesome, also invest into a induction kit as they make the car sound great!

and good luck with the tints, going to look cool when finished :D

I want to get a spoiler and lights but I can only pay for one atm. Out of interest how much was the spoiler from eBay and fitting?

I've decided that I'm not going to get the spoiler until I get my wheels as it it will look funny without alloys.

So now its just between the HID lights.

I went through videos on youtube and it says 6000k covers a better distance in light and true colour compared to 8000k is that true?

pretty much yeah.

they "x000k" doesn't refer to the brightness of the light, it's the temperature, aka colour.

so 6k gives more visible/usable "white" light, whereas 8k is more blue.

depending on where you get MOT'd you may have to change your lights everytime you have an MOT.

Can't believe that people are still considering HIDS...

There are no need for them whatsoever unless you live miles out in the middle of nowhere with no street lights.

No matter where you get MOT'd under the new rules you will fail.... so it's either change your lights every year or find a dodgy garage that will overlook it for you...

I wouldn't be surprised if the Police start to take more notice over HIDS either with these changes coming in...

especially 8ks on old cars, stand out like a sore thumb. saw a mk4 fiesta with them the other day. looked so blue lol i do like them on clear lensed cars though. but they still do stand out... which is part of the appeal i suppose.

is there any blueish bulbs that look like 8k hids on the market? the Halfords blue ones i have are just white with a tinge of yellow lol

Thing is about these new rules, I've spoken to the fella I'm kushty with at kwik-fit and his exact words were:

"Mate I've heard nothing about that what-so-ever! We normally fail cars with HID's anyway as the beam-pattern normally gets mucked up but there's been no mention to me of anything about failing by default just for having them fitted?"

he then went off and spoke to his colleague who said "I've not heard f*** all about that?"

I spoke to the guy at the garage where I get MOT'd (families been going there for 10 years)and he said the following "I did see something about headlamps in the VOSA newsletter but as far as I was aware it's not actually reached a workable solution yet and I have had no direction to check for this in MOT's."

He mentioned the beam pattern thing again and banged on about chipping too.

I don't have HID's nor am I planning on getting them but just thought I'd give you guys the heads-up with what I've been told.

Maybe someone who works at a garage will have more info?

especially 8ks on old cars, stand out like a sore thumb. saw a mk4 fiesta with them the other day. looked so blue lol i do like them on clear lensed cars though. but they still do stand out... which is part of the appeal i suppose.

is there any blueish bulbs that look like 8k hids on the market? the halfords blue ones i have are just white with a tinge of yellow lol

Well I don't see the need for hids to be honest there more hassle then there worth, the Philips diamond vision bulbs give the same look as hids as there a blue bulb, or if you want a bright light the Philips extreme vision are reccomended. I just ordered a set will give my opinion on them and a few pics up once they arrive.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/212937/make_light_of_winter.html

Can't believe that people are still considering HIDS...

There are no need for them whatsoever unless you live miles out in the middle of nowhere with no street lights.

No matter where you get MOT'd under the new rules you will fail.... so it's either change your lights every year or find a dodgy garage that will overlook it for you...

I wouldn't be surprised if the Police start to take more notice over HIDS either with these changes coming in...

agreed

there just not worth it just buy some decent bulbs, but dont do over 60-70 watt as it will burn/discolour the refector,HIDs wont pass an mot, draw attention from the po po, yeah they may be bright but for directional light that you need from a headlight they dont give because you cant set the beam pattern right they are designed to be in a proper headlight housing not retrofitted, id save the £80 -£100 and get a backbox or some springs or the rear windows tinted with a bit of extra cash :thumbsup:

The following from Auto Express

"Retrofit HIDconversion bulbs that fit in place of halogen bulbs are illegal to use on the road in UK just like they are in the rest of Europe and even the US.

These kits are not E approved and are not DOT approved. Any one selling them as such are doing so fraudlently. They are simply trying to rip you off.

Bosch, OSRAM, Panasonic andPhilips do not make such kits. Any one selling kits as such are selling counterfeit good and are trying to rip you off."

As Mr P says, why waste your money if you stand the chance of being picked out on a random srop-check and having your vehicle off the road till you can put the originals back... Or failing an MOT....

sorry guys but i love my HID's, i know that they are illegal and blah blah but they look awesome in my opinion :D

just going to have to change them every MOT and have'nt really had any trouble from the police yet so all is good

but yeah everyone has their own opinion :)

i love the hi-tech look that hids give. im hopin someone will chime in saying theyve got regular bulbs that are a similar colour to 8ks.

seen some led bulbs that look great from the front but dont have much light penetration so are pretty useless other than aesthetically

is there any blueish bulbs that look like 8k hids on the market? the halfords blue ones i have are just white with a tinge of yellow lol

Well I don't see the need for hids to be honest there more hassle then there worth, the Philips diamond vision bulbs give the same look as hids as there a blue bulb, or if you want a bright light the Philips extreme vision are reccomended. I just ordered a set will give my opinion on them and a few pics up once they arrive.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/212937/make_light_of_winter.html

cheers for that mate. ive heard someone mention blue vision or something before, hope they work out good for you, looking forward to the pics!