Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sr180 Car Jack

darranlord

Hi folks,

I have just become the new owner of an 09 SR180. This may seem like an odd question for a car that does not have a spare tyre, but should the car come with a jack? I bought the car through a main dealer, and in the boot I have the handle for scissor jack, but no jack. I just wondered if this was normal or if I need to go and ask Mr T for my jack!!

I will be looking to see if I can get a spacesaver spare as I think I have read that this is possible, and if it is, I will want a jack in the boot.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,

Daz

Check behind the removable plastic panel in the boot - drivers side.

Just checked mine (SR180)...

Yup there is a black plastic toolbag in my boot with tie strings, containing... a wheel wrench plus a device that may be a folding jack handle.

But no jack that I can find anywhere.

I do however also have a black, moulded expanded foam tray affair sat in the otherwise empty wheel well in the boot.

This holds 3 items - a 12V air pump, plus a large bottle of tyre weld/sealant fluid, and a beefy screw-in towing eye bolt.

Apparently the first two items can be used together to seal a leaking tyre and/or inflate it for long enough to get to a garage (but won't fix a major blowout of course!).

I think it's explained in the car's User Manual.

I bought my car second-hand from a Toyota dealer (in Stratford actually) and I was told they did not have a spare wheel of any sort as standard, just this 're-inflation kit'.

Like you, I'm not entirely convinced about the sanity of having no spare wheel (I've always had one before).

I've got AA breakdown for the moment, plus I keep a foot-pump in the car as well, just in case :blink:

I think (read 'hope') the majority of punctures leak quite slowly. Slow enough to allow re-inflation followed by a slow drive directly to a tyre centre or Toyota dealer.

And a puncture is quite unusual - I've had 5 in 35 years, all 'slow' ones.

I've always been blindly optimistic like that...

I agree there seems no logic to providing a jack handle, but no jack. And even the wheel wrench seems a bit superfluous given that I've got no spare wheel.

Unless the jack handle is also useable for tightening or removing the towing bolt? :unsure:

DOH!

Just looked again...

He's spot on - there's a jack hiding in there just like he says! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have just checked behind the panel, and there is a jack there!! Thanks guys, I hadn't even noticed the panel there! That saved me some hassle! :-)

I don't have the handbook yet as the dealership are posting it to me!

Whilst I still have the complimentary breakdown cover I will not worry too much about problems with tyres, but I do like to be prepared.

Thanks again for the help!

If there is a jack etc. and no air pump, sealant etc., I would be asking the dealer if the car should have a space saver spare and if so, where is it?(apparently not standard, post 3!) So where is the air pump and sealant?

DOH!

Just looked again...

He's spot on - there's a jack hiding in there just like he says! :thumbsup:

;)

Although I don't/have never owned an Auris, I do feel I may have an idea why there's no spare wheel available with the T180/SR180.

As far as I'm aware this model has a different rear suspension set-up to the standard Auris models (those have the traditional torsion beam, similar to my Yaris and current Honda Civic Type R) whereas the T180/SR180 feature a fully indipendant rear set-up (like the previous Civic Type R which was praised for its handling, unlike the new one). I am presuming this takes up the space which would be preserved for the spare wheel. No doubt the torsion beam rear is cheaper to make, hence Honda's decision to use it.

I always was wondering about the spare wheel. As mentioned above the car comes with the jack but no spare wheel hmmm.

Anyway in my first attempts to different Toyota dealers I been told that there is no spare wheel for the car even as an optional extra.

But after a lot of search and telephones to Toyota dealers I found out that you can have as an option a spare saver for our sr180.

The only downside is that its a little bit expensive around 130 £ brand new fitted with the tyre.

Anyway I got read all of this mambo jumbo thinks like air compressor and repairing kit and fit it inside there the spare saver wheel witch fits perfectly well.

Maybe I am traditional but I prefer to have a spare wheel on my car.

So as a conclusion if they tell you that does not exist a spare saver for our car just insist and let them know that exists or try another dealer.

I had it so it exists

I bought my T180 used, and it has a spare wheel in the boot - it's of space saver type. As to whether it actually fits, I'll find out if I ever need to use it. I'm sure I've read somewhere on this forum though that it only fits on the rear of the car due to the caliper size on the front. If this is true then it'll be a bit of a faff if it's one of the front tyres which has a puncture/blow out/whatever.

Hmmm I never tried so I can not comment on that Phil_1985.

But I can say that Toyota told me that it fits perfectly well they did not mentioned any problems regarding the front wheels, and to tell you the truth logical thinking I do not see why the spare saver will not fit in front since its 17 inches exactly the same diameter as the normal wheels of the car. So if the 17 inches wheel of the car fits so the spare saver should since it has the same diameter.

But I can say that Toyota told me that it fits perfectly well they did not mentioned any problems regarding the front wheels, and to tell you the truth logical thinking I do not see why the spare saver will not fit in front since its 17 inches exactly the same diameter as the normal wheels of the car. So if the 17 inches wheel of the car fits so the spare saver should since it has the same diameter.

The same outer running diameter (wheel+tyre) is the critical dimension that should ideally match the original wheels + tyres, but it's not the only dimension of a replacement wheel that has to be compatible - which means the actual wheel doesn't have to be the same diameter, especially if the tyre on it is 'taller'.

The "offset" (distance from hub face to centre-line of tyre) must be right as well, otherwise it could potentially fowl either the brakes/inner wing components, or the outer edge of the wheel arch - and it must fit such that it does not fowl anything even with extremes (up and down) of suspension movement.

Finally the tyre must have suitable load/pressure specs and be safe to operate as a replacement for the original tyres, albeit under limited operation conditions (reduced max. speed for a skinny spare).

The easiest option is to only use the manufacturer's recommended wheels/tyres.

The same outer running diameter (wheel+tyre) is the critical diameter that should ideally match the original wheels + tyres, which means the actual wheel doesn't have to be the same diameter, especially if the tyre on it is 'taller'. However, this is not the only dimension of a replacement wheel that has to be compatible.

The "offset" (distance from hub face to centre-line of tyre) must be right as well, otherwise it could potentially fowl either the brakes/inner wing components, or the outer edge of the wheel arch - and it must fit such that it does not fowl anything even with extremes (up and down) of suspension movement.

Finally the tyre must have suitable load/pressure specs and be safe to operate as a replacement for the original tyres, albeit under limited operation conditions (reduced max. speed for a skinny spare).

To be honest, the easiest option is to only use the manufacturer's recommended wheels/tyres. :thumbsup:

Exactly but i totally agree with you romulon, but i could not described technical so well :)))

Anyway that's why I said that I took mine from a main Toyota dealer specific for the car as you mentioned above is the safest and easiest option.

These days many car manufacturers are not supplying spare wheels either standard or skinny wheels. Instead they include a can of foam spray or something like that to reinflate the tyre in case there is a flat.

Presumably cost is the driver for this policy.

What happens if you have a blowout. or a large puncture??? You're stuck.

Many new owners are doing just what you propose. i.e. buy a standard or skinny wheel. It's safer and will cover most eventualities.

leo