Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can't Turn Radio Off ! T180

SMH13

Hello

A mystery ! Have read the manuals which say press the round volume button to turn off radio.

Nothing - it is on all the time I just have to turn the volume down.

Have read the Navigation manual re the screen etc and can turn that off.

Help Please....... :help:

Thank You

Does it turn off when you press the button to stop the engine (no accessories on)?

To be honest, mine runs on a fair bit of the time, with the volume right down, so that it just brings up verbal traffic announcements, but, yes, it should turn off.

As it's a couple of days until 1st April, I will have a go.

The off button is the bottom left round button on my T180 unit which is surrounded by a black volume control ring. I was a bit annoyed that pressing this turns the whole unit off as on my other car it simply turns the radio off, leaving the command sat nav working.

You need to state you radio model as they can differ by age and specification. Noramlly you can get this from the Radio book as supplied or the front of the radio or by politely asking Toyota.

If not then try below:

The serial and model number can be found by removing the engine and fire protection barrier and looking on the back of the radio or by taking your car to a main dealer and saying "Oi, fix this, my wife works for Top Gear and Jeremy wants to know why my radio isn't working.

The off button is the bottom left round button on my T180 unit

Top left round button on my ex-RAV4 T180. Just push it in.

And satnav stays on.

Doh! I agree it's the top left button and the radion switches off and sat nav stays on. I got my cars mixed up. If I turm the radio off in my merc the whole system including sat navs shuts down.

Appologies to my T180...

Does it turn off when you press the button to stop the engine (no accessories on)?

To be honest, mine runs on a fair bit of the time, with the volume right down, so that it just brings up verbal traffic announcements, but, yes, it should turn off.

Oh in that case in must be broken :o

The black round knob (left top side) does push in but nothing happens , the tuner button on the right side just turns you can't push it in.

Thought I might be able to fix some how - Toyota seem to charge ££££ !

Thanks for your help.

With the screen active, if you push the knob in, you usually get a picture of a loudspeaker and an "audio off" message.

Do all the other buttons work OK? If they do, possibly just an iffy switch, but there's always other possibilities it can be.

I just love how much techy detail goes in......

cheapest fix is to locate the power supply wire and cut it with a pair of kitchen scissors whilst wearing a pair of rubber welly boots. Then strip the wires a little and wind them together when you want the radio on. For the sake of schm, then wrap the joint in a finger cut from a pair of rubber marigolds (cos he'll say there is a risk of fire.)

cheapest fix is to locate the power supply wire and cut it with a pair of kitchen scissors whilst wearing a pair of rubber welly boots. Then strip the wires a little and wind them together when you want the radio on.

I appreciate that the above is "tongue in cheek", but while it is a solution (just), switching the permanent Battery feed, you'll loose about half of the unit setup every time. Very convenient, not!

If the unit is powering down with the vehicle (I suspect it is but not confirmed?), to be honest, in my opinion, it's not the most troubling of faults.

I have a very odd picture in my minds eye of Bothers wearing a pair of fingerless marigolds.............Class :D: :D: :D: Wonder if he has the pinny with false boobies painted on? :naughty:

Kingo :thumbsup:

aye...thanks Kingo....ah won't sleep tonight, thinkin' about Bothy wi' fingerless rubber gloves on.

Fluffy Bunnies.....

Big Kev :crybaby:

Not 100% sure on Rav4 but on all other modern Toyotas if you hold the "mode" button down on the steering wheel until you hear a beep this turns the audio off.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a similar problem with my 56 RAV4 Radio/Nav system, and it was simply that the button has slipped down the spline. It still moved in and out, but not enought to turn the radio off. Solution was to remove the button, add a little paper padding to the bottom of the spline hole on the button and replace, no trouble since.... hope this helps.