Do Not Sell My Personal Information

P0488

LeeW

I've spent a few hours trawling this site for info on P0488 fault code on my 2003 Avensis D4D.

I think I've sorted it now and thought I'd share my tale in the hope that I might return the helpful advice.

So a few weeks ago my car's engine management light came on, we took the car down to the local Toyota dealers, by which time the light had gone off. They plugged it in and came up with code P0488. They said it was probably some dirt in the EGR valve and it had now cleared - if it was to come back on I'd need a new EGR valve @ £320 fitted.

Anyway predictably the light cam back on and the car went into safe mode. I searched on here and found the instructions for cleaning the EGR. I did the clean and the valve was nice and clean and worked fine. I refitted and the light was still on so I pulled the fuse and cleared the fault. The car was fine for a day after that and I thought I'd fixed it.

However I hadn't and soon enough the light was back on. So back to the forum, and I found a link to the Avensis workshop manual. I downloaded this and found that P0488 refers to the EGR and Intake shutter system. An excellent fault diagnosis procedure lead me to remove the Inlet shutter assembly and test it according to the procedure in the manual.

I tested the valve operated freely by hand - it did, next I checked the resistance of the windings on the stepper motor. The manual states that the resistance is 18 to 20 ohms across 4 sets of pins. The first 2 checked out ok the next 2 didn't they were nearer 40 - double.

Excellent - so after ringing scrap yards in vain I rang the dealer to get a new intake shutter - £155 (incl gasket) - not bad, so I bought one.

I tested it and its the same resistance as my old one! Looking at the wiring diagram its obvious that 2 of the checks will be double since the test is across two set of windings. So the manual is wrong pins 1-3 and 4-6 should be 36-40ohm.

Anyway I proceded to set about fitting the Intake shutter, I just thought I'd check the wiring harness before hand - and luckily I spotted that the yellow wire on the intake shutter stepper motor connector had some bare wire showing - as I twisted the cable the wire was clearly broken - this was the source of my problem. So I soldered the wire back together and fitted the new intake anyway.

Car runs lovely, I reckon I probably wasted £155 but still cheaper than Toyota fixing it so I am not too disappointed.

So if your car has P0488, clean the EGR and whilst your partially stripped go that bit further and take the intake shutter valve off - clean that too and check its resistance values - but check the wiring harness - the cable is twisted back on its self and is very tight - mine had cut its self off because it was too tightly stretched and twisted.

Hope that helps someone.

Cheers

Lee

I've spent a few hours trawling this site for info on P0488 fault code on my 2003 Avensis D4D.

I think I've sorted it now and thought I'd share my tale in the hope that I might return the helpful advice.

So a few weeks ago my car's engine management light came on, we took the car down to the local Toyota dealers, by which time the light had gone off. They plugged it in and came up with code P0488. They said it was probably some dirt in the EGR valve and it had now cleared - if it was to come back on I'd need a new EGR valve @ £320 fitted.

Anyway predictably the light cam back on and the car went into safe mode. I searched on here and found the instructions for cleaning the EGR. I did the clean and the valve was nice and clean and worked fine. I refitted and the light was still on so I pulled the fuse and cleared the fault. The car was fine for a day after that and I thought I'd fixed it.

However I hadn't and soon enough the light was back on. So back to the forum, and I found a link to the Avensis workshop manual. I downloaded this and found that P0488 refers to the EGR and Intake shutter system. An excellent fault diagnosis procedure lead me to remove the Inlet shutter assembly and test it according to the procedure in the manual.

I tested the valve operated freely by hand - it did, next I checked the resistance of the windings on the stepper motor. The manual states that the resistance is 18 to 20 ohms across 4 sets of pins. The first 2 checked out ok the next 2 didn't they were nearer 40 - double.

Excellent - so after ringing scrap yards in vain I rang the dealer to get a new intake shutter - £155 (incl gasket) - not bad, so I bought one.

I tested it and its the same resistance as my old one! Looking at the wiring diagram its obvious that 2 of the checks will be double since the test is across two set of windings. So the manual is wrong pins 1-3 and 4-6 should be 36-40ohm.

Anyway I proceded to set about fitting the Intake shutter, I just thought I'd check the wiring harness before hand - and luckily I spotted that the yellow wire on the intake shutter stepper motor connector had some bare wire showing - as I twisted the cable the wire was clearly broken - this was the source of my problem. So I soldered the wire back together and fitted the new intake anyway.

Car runs lovely, I reckon I probably wasted £155 but still cheaper than Toyota fixing it so I am not too disappointed.

So if your car has P0488, clean the EGR and whilst your partially stripped go that bit further and take the intake shutter valve off - clean that too and check its resistance values - but check the wiring harness - the cable is twisted back on its self and is very tight - mine had cut its self off because it was too tightly stretched and twisted.

Hope that helps someone.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee, well done for getting to the root of the problem and that is just the sort of info that this forum needs ..... brilliant mate! :thumbsup:.

Regards Pete.

• 8 years later...

many thanks just saved me a shed load of agro,I had the same fault checked out the wiring and sure enough the yellow wire was detached , a bit like keyhole surgery as there is very little room but with the top hose removed and some careful paring back of the wires i manage to solder it back together  job done no fault .. thanks again 

• 1 month later...

Have you any pictures of where this issue is situated??

Ta 😊😊

The OP of the linked topic hasn't visited the club since April 2011, so you maynot receive a reply.