Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Timing Belt

Jeffos

Does anyone know if a 1996 RAV4 has a timing belt or chain? Also if it has a belt and it broke, would it damage the engine?

Thanks Jeff

Hi Jeff and welcome to the forum.

The engine is a 3sfe - general opinion is that its an interference engine .... ie if the belt breaks then the valves bend.

The engine has a belt... the later vvti engine from 2001 had a chain.

Your belt probably wants changed around 80k miles... and I can't remember if the water pump should be done at the same time as the belt as I'm running 2 different engines now.

The 3sfe engine has been around for a while and theres no problem getting a replacement should you choose to play roulette with the belt.

By the way, for engine removal, it drops out the bottom.

The engine is a 3sfe - general opinion is that its an interference engine .... ie if the belt breaks then the valves bend.

Your belt probably wants changed around 80k miles... and I can't remember if the water pump should be done at the same time as the belt as I'm running 2 different engines now.

The 3sfe engine has been around for a while and theres no problem getting a replacement should you choose to play roulette with the belt.

Thanks for the detailed reply! Ive no idea when the belt was last changed so ill get it changed asap.

Cheers Jeff

Thanks for the detailed reply! Ive no idea when the belt was last changed so ill get it changed asap.

Cheers Jeff

+ record the same date for future reference

cheers/Igor

The instructions are pinned in the maintenance section.

I think you will find that the 3sfe is a non interference engine

so if the timing belt breaks no valve bend.

cheers

thatman

I think you will find that the 3sfe is a non interference engine

so if the timing belt breaks no valve bend.

cheers

thatman

Can anyone confirm this for future reference?

Is the 3S-FE engine non-interference or interference?

If you look here you will see that it in the top left panel it states that it is an interference engine;

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=7006

More detailed instructions are here;

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71649

As to whether or not it is easy, well it depends if you are relatively competent and have a good selection of tools but it isn't a job I would recommend to a novice. You would be better off putting into a garage if this is the case :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links