Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Warped Discs

jmcarter193

Just got back from taking my 2009 Aygo Blue to my Toyota dealer to get the brakes looked at as kept feeling juddering upon moderate braking. They tell me my brake discs are warped and that they will have to have the car in for a few days to take brake parts apart and take photos to send to Toyota. This does not sound too good to me! Basically the guy spoke to me as though Toyotas big brother was listening in and did not want to actually say this was not normal but that he was thinking it. Photos will be sent to toyota to find out whether they will replace under warranty or not as brakes are not usually covered. My car is only just 18 months old and has done 8,800 miles. Surely this is not normal? I can't believe this can be classed as 'normal wear and tear.' I am a city driver mainly, and never brake at the last minute. I am concerned that if they need repairing at such low mileage now will this be the case again in the very near future. Besides this problem I am very happy with my Aygo and have had no other problems or complaints. Can anyone advise my why this may have happened and has anyone else had similar problem in such a young low mileaged car? Many thanks.

I've had my Aygo since new and have just fitted its' first set of discs and second set of pads at 47000 miles.

If you brake hard or often, the disc heats up. I heard a theory that if you have hot discs and stop at traffic lights, keeping your foot on the brake pedal keeps the section of the disc covered by the pads from cooling. The rest of the disc cools and sets up stresses that result in a warped disc.

I don't know if there is any truth in this but it sounds feasible to me.

For clarification, brake discs and pads ARE wear and tear in Toyota's book, anything over 18 months OR 20,000 miles whicever is sooner, requires a prior authority from Toyota, so your dealer is handling the claim exactly as expected, not in your book maybe, but he is following procedure to see if he can claim them for you, it is normal, even if your car is one day over 18 months old

Kingo :thumbsup:

This is a very common misconception that discs are warped just because the steering wobbles when you brake. Normally prolonged use of the foot brake instead of the handbrake, lends itself towards binding and then deposits on the discs. This is the most common cause of brake wobble and is very easily and cheaply remedied.

Disc warp is very easily and cheaply checked by removing the wheel and checking the run in on the disc.

Basically setting a DTI meter to the disc and the giving the disc one revolution and seeing how far it moves in and out from you original setting.

On an Aygo it is much more likely to be a warped disc,

kingo :thumbsup:

An interesting theory on warped discs, I tend to use the handbrake rather than the brake pedal :-)

I've had my Aygo since new and have just fitted its' first set of discs and second set of pads at 47000 miles.

Me too. My discs were replaced under warranty (free of charge) at the 12 month service.

They had only done 5000 miles.

Owners should remember that disc warranty expires after 18 months.

Owners should remember that disc warranty expires after 18 months.

That's not entirely accurate. They will cover discs that have failed (cracked etc) but will not cover them for warpage which is classed as wear and tear

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links