Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arrrgggh - I Have Puncture!

blue monster

How frustrating - got about 0.5 miles from my house this morning and the TPMS light came on so I immediately stopped to see if I could see anything obvious wrong with the tyres.

As I came around to the front passenger side tyre I could hear it hissing and could see a nail right in the centre of the tyre :censor:

So I immediately returned home, put the car in my drive & the tyre has now gone completely flat.

I have read some horror stories on here where people have been charged stupid amounts on money to repair a puncture.

My local Toyota dealer in Queensferry (where Kingo works) told me a few weeks ago before I bought our T180 that they can be repaired for around £40 - is this the case in most peoples experience?

Also, based upon what I have read on here, am I better off taking the wheel off the car and taking it to them so that it has not been driven on completely flat or does this not matter?

Thanks in advance

Martin

Best to send Parts king a PM and ask him to come along to your house - he should be around, waiting for your call just now..... :lol:

How frustrating - got about 0.5 miles from my house this morning and the TPMS light came on so I immediately stopped to see if I could see anything obvious wrong with the tyres.

As I came around to the front passenger side tyre I could hear it hissing and could see a nail right in the centre of the tyre :censor:

So I immediately returned home, put the car in my drive & the tyre has now gone completely flat.

I have read some horror stories on here where people have been charged stupid amounts on money to repair a puncture.

My local Toyota dealer in Queensferry (where Kingo works) told me a few weeks ago before I bought our T180 that they can be repaired for around £40 - is this the case in most peoples experience?

Also, based upon what I have read on here, am I better off taking the wheel off the car and taking it to them so that it has not been driven on completely flat or does this not matter?

Thanks in advance

Martin

If the puncture is in the middle of the tyre, from waht I understand, it can be repaired. Do you think the tyre can hold enough air to get you to them before it goes completely flat? If not, might be best to take it off the car just in case the nail does internal damage [assuming it's a bigun]

Coincidentally, as of this morning, I now find myself in the position of having a surplus 17" wheel and tyre for the RAV. If anyone is interested, PM me :thumbsup:

That's not a bad idea blowing the tyre up in the morning :thumbsup: - it should hold some pressure to get me there as it is only 3 miles from my house to Lindops.

The nail wasn't that big and I have pulled it out by hand, it had not gone in that far but far enough to puncture the tyre.

Also, am I better off jacking the car up a bit in an attempt to not damage the tyre - I can stick my trolley jack under it for tonight?

For normal tyres they basically take it of an fill it with tyre weld XD

But for runflats I'm not sure if they will repair them?

Also, am I better off jacking the car up a bit in an attempt to not damage the tyre - I can stick my trolley jack under it for tonight?

That'll save the tyre walls getting crushed/distorted further

That's not a bad idea blowing the tyre up in the morning :thumbsup: - it should hold some pressure to get me there as it is only 3 miles from my house to Lindops.

The nail wasn't that big and I have pulled it out by hand, it had not gone in that far but far enough to puncture the tyre.

Forgive me, but aren't these runflats designed to "Run Flat" thats what the support ring does, but anyway you can buy a repair kit, where you make the hole slightly larger, push a special plug thru which expands and seals the hole, Alternately, (if you want)put a short screw in the hole and then inflate the tyre which should at least get you to lindop, The runflats are supposedly designed to be run flat for a max of 50 miles. hope this helps Stew... Here is a LINK to one of the available kits, some of them say FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY.. this one doesn't, Try Halfords..

Martin....if it was me, I would remove it and take it in dismounted. Thus far, you have an argument that the Bridgeston Steel Rim doodah has not done sufficient flat tyre mileage to cause it any damage. Drive another 3 miles and you may have to argue your case that the wee boy who worked on your wheel did or did not damage the Ring on removal of tyre.

Call me paramedic (?) but that's how I would proceed, and I have total faith in all dealings I have had with Lindop....auld guy in Parts a bit slow though....

Big Kev :thumbsup:

I should be able to get enough air in to it in the morning so that it is not flat & therefore not running on the support rings which would enable me to drive to Lindops.

That said, I only have 12v compressor so the air may end up coming out as quickly as I am pumping it in :eek:

I should be able to get enough air in to it in the morning so that it is not flat & therefore not running on the support rings which would enable me to drive to Lindops.

That said, I only have 12v compressor so the air may end up coming out as quickly as I am pumping it in :eek:

Thats why i said put a small screw in the hole (if you can find it) :thumbsup: Stew

What do you do with that & how does it work?

Remove the offending nail or puctury thing (always best to mark this with chalk or somtheing that will help you remember where the hole is, after you have taken the offending object out and before you repair it). Poke the round file through the hole a few times to open the hole a bit. Insert a string through the eye of the T-Bar needle, so that there is an even ammount each side. Poke the string through the hole into the tyre (do not leth the string disappear completely into the tyre). Twist the T-Bar 2 revolutions and pull out of the tyre. The string will form a knot inside the tyre. Cut the string from the T-Bar eye and level with the tread. Pump up the tyre with the compressor you have conviently located in the back of your car. Drive happily on your merry way. (do not use is the wall of the tyre, exactly the same as garages will not repair a puncutre in the tyre wall)

You shouldn't need to do anything else.

This also looks good Dyna-Plug.

I like the look of that Dynaplug - might give it a go.

Ya so do I... But i got the string before I saw the Dynoplug :(

Hi all

I have used both of these & replaced lots of tyres that have been repaired with both the plugs and the string, and in my opinion the string type is the only one I would used because it is designed too

not only plug irregular shaped holes but the glue on the cords vulcanize the string too the tyre making

a very reliable and permanant repair.

What do you do with that & how does it work?

All of these Tyre plugs work like a Flexible pop rivet, By some means they block the hole by expanding on the inside of the tyre, I am not sure however whether they are considered a permanant fix or not..Stew

My local tyre place does repairs for £10 - £15.

On run flats?

My local tyre place does repairs for £10 - £15.

On run flats?

Yep. Standard tyres are only £5. Actually I read in Autocar it should only cost £20 max for a run flat repair.

Ya normal runflats have a strengthened sidewall.

BSR runflats have a emboss on the tyre saying that they are suitable for Bridgestone Safety Ring Systems. Not to sure waht else they have but they are not run flat tyres and appear to be normal tyres with an emboss. Anyone else have any ideas.... Are they just normal tyres that have been authorised (monopolised)?

Ya normal runflats have a strengthened sidewall.

BSR runflats have a emboss on the tyre saying that they are suitable for Bridgestone Safety Ring Systems. Not to sure waht else they have but they are not run flat tyres and appear to be normal tyres with an emboss. Anyone else have any ideas.... Are they just normal tyres that have been authorised (monopolised)?

I've not seen the inside of one of these tyres but suspect that the difference between these and a standard tyre is that the runflat variant is coated with some sort of lubricant on the inside to reduce friction ( and consequent heat ) between the inside of the tyre and the safety ring when the tyre is deflated.

Puncture has been repaired today by my local Mr T in Queensferry where Kingo works.

Had to leave the car there all day as they were fully booked up but when I went back to collect it this evening I was advised that there was no damage to the rings, the puncture was smack bang in the middle of the tyre (where I had pulled the nail out of) and that they had carried out the repair for free :thumbsup:

10 out of 10 for customer service at Lindop's Toyota in Queensferry, especially Steve on the service desk :toast: