Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica 1.8 Vvti Tips For Fuel Economy

Light Mayo

Hi, I've got a 1.8 VVTI and its abusing fuel even though I'm driving sensibly. The tyres are fine and I've recently taken the subwoofer out to reduce the weight. I'm even filling up like £15 a time to save on fuel weight but not sure if it makes much difference.

I wondered if anyone has any tips on how I can make the car more efficient? My Service is due in May so could ask the garage to work out why it is using so much fuel but would be good if I can work it out before then.

Cheers

Exactly what size Tyres are fitted?

Cant remember off the top of my head but its the standard 16 inch ones that came with the car

Is it more thirsty than normal?

AFAIK the 1.8 generally is a pretty thirsty beast for town driving... it's much better at A-road and motorway work.

Higher tyre pressures, abusing the high torque of that engine by shifting earlier, and learning to look ahead and coast in-gear are things that can help tho'.

It seems to be getting more and more thirsty over the months. Its got 180,000 miles on the clock so maybe thats what happens at high mileage!?

Most of my driving commute is semi urban dual carriageway stuff. Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a go!

Could be, but generally high mileage engines don't loose that much mpg. Usually they just start drinking lots of oil :lol:

But what is you MPG? £15 does not get any car as far as it used to do.

It may pay to use a got fuel additive to clean out the injectors etc.

I've had my t sport for about 6 weeks now and noticed there is a huge difference between town and motorway / A road driving. I only averaged 26mpg on my last tank driven round town but got 32-33mpg when it was half town and half A roads. £15 quid only gets me about 70-80 miles, its expensive stuff nowadays! Cyker is right keeping your tyre pressure high helps and i try to brake as little as possible, downshifting and coasting to slow at lights.

also heard recently that using premuim fuel gives better fuel economy for the vvti engine. not sure if its true though!

Easy cheap fix to test and this is a know reason for ecconomy becoming poor. Clean the MAF (very gently), air filter and then reset the ECU. Then on your next tank full, you should see an improvement.