Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Just Unlucky?

fiish

I have now had my Yaris TR for about 6 months, and it's been a decent car for the past 2000 miles. It gets me from A to B, the 1.3 motor has plenty of go on the motorways, it doesn't guzzle petrol, and the folding rear bench and abundance of cabin storage make it very practical for the varied uses I put the car through.

However, one of the big factors in choosing Toyota was their reliability record, and in light of that, and the many positive comments about the Yaris on this forum, the faults the car has developed are leaving me slightly disappointed. The car has had 3 warranty repairs so far since I bought it used in October 2010. I have not had to wash the car myself yet because it has had to go into the garage so many times.

Before I list problems I would like to highlight though that Cambridge Toyota have been very good with their service and have done their best to rectify the issues encountered every time.

So what has gone wrong?

November 2010, discovered crunchy gearbox, it went in and got a new selector shaft, many thanks to TOCers for bringing this to attention

February 2011, post-winter VSR found leaky driveshaft seal, it got replaced

April 2011, went for first MOT, failed on wheel bearing, replaced and retested

Perhaps I just got unlucky with this one :) If the problem rate keeps up I plan to trade the car in (or just not have a car any more) before the warranty ends in 2013.

I have now had my Yaris TR for about 6 months, and it's been a decent car for the past 2000 miles. It gets me from A to B, the 1.3 motor has plenty of go on the motorways, it doesn't guzzle petrol, and the folding rear bench and abundance of cabin storage make it very practical for the varied uses I put the car through.

However, one of the big factors in choosing Toyota was their reliability record, and in light of that, and the many positive comments about the Yaris on this forum, the faults the car has developed are leaving me slightly disappointed. The car has had 3 warranty repairs so far since I bought it used in October 2010. I have not had to wash the car myself yet because it has had to go into the garage so many times.

Before I list problems I would like to highlight though that Cambridge Toyota have been very good with their service and have done their best to rectify the issues encountered every time.

So what has gone wrong?

November 2010, discovered crunchy gearbox, it went in and got a new selector shaft, many thanks to TOCers for bringing this to attention

February 2011, post-winter VSR found leaky driveshaft seal, it got replaced

April 2011, went for first MOT, failed on wheel bearing, replaced and retested

Perhaps I just got unlucky with this one :) If the problem rate keeps up I plan to trade the car in (or just not have a car any more) before the warranty ends in 2013.

Hello, just out of interest what was the mileage when you had it MOT'd and also how did you get 5 years warranty, did you pay extra?

Pete.

Hello, just out of interest what was the mileage when you had it MOT'd and also how did you get 5 years warranty, did you pay extra?

Pete.

Mileage at MOT about 36600 miles. The extra 2 years is a 'used car' warranty which was part of the deal for Approved Used cars when I bought the car. It is less comprehensive than the original warranty but still covers defects and MOT failures due to engine or drivetrain issues.

Done 82,000 miles on my 05 Yaris Diesel.

No probs at all.

Just serviced it and go.

Only had to re-place 1 set of front disc pads.

So I would say Just Unlucky.

But others will be along and tell their storey.

R

Pete.

Mileage at MOT about 36600 miles. The extra 2 years is a 'used car' warranty which was part of the deal for Approved Used cars when I bought the car. It is less comprehensive than the original warranty but still covers defects and MOT failures due to engine or drivetrain issues.

Thanks for the info about the warranty, and again just a thought ... did you actually report all the faults listed or were they "found" by the garage ..... hmmmm! :unsure:.

Regards Pete.

As a general observation, I'd say most things are poorer quality these days, whether it's houses, cars or white goods. Nothing's built like it used to be, and that includes Toyotas and Hondas which usually topped the leagues for reliability. They still do (probably) but that just means they're less bad than the other makes. I've seen Toyota staff on this board comment that you will not get new cars that are as reliable as their older counterparts. There's many reasons why but cheaper labour and cheaper parts obviously play a part.

At least you got it sorted under warranty. When it comes to changing my car I think I'll change my philosophy too and buy something older. I don't care for modern cars (post 2005ish!)

Pete.

Thanks for the info about the warranty, and again just a thought ... did you actually report all the faults listed or were they "found" by the garage ..... hmmmm! :unsure:.

Regards Pete.

If the dealer 'finds' problems that are covered by the warranty that's fine by me :D.

Crunchy gearbox was something I noticed, the other 2 were found by VSR and MOT repsectively.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links