Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.2 Diesel Engine Whistle/whine Noise

L33

Hi all

Apologies(!) this question is actually regarding a 2008 Lexus IS220d, but as this uses the same 2AD-FHV engine as the Avensis D4-D I was hoping that one of you engine experts may be able to help me out :)

The car has started making a whistle/whine type noise from the engine which matches the engine speed (not the road speed or anything else). It is not audible with the windows up but with them open it is fairly loud and definitely not the normal turbo sound. Any ideas what this could be? I've not owned the car long, and it has only recently started. No error lights on dash or performance loss, just an annoying (and slightly worrying) noise! 42k on the clock if that makes any difference...

I've had a listen under the bonnet but can't pinpoint where it is coming from - too hard to hear anything really with the diesel engine running!!

Appreciate any help/advice or pointers on where to start looking

Thanks,

Lee

Hi all

Apologies(!) this question is actually regarding a 2008 Lexus IS220d, but as this uses the same 2AD-FHV engine as the Avensis D4-D I was hoping that one of you engine experts may be able to help me out :)

The car has started making a whistle/whine type noise from the engine which matches the engine speed (not the road speed or anything else). It is not audible with the windows up but with them open it is fairly loud and definitely not the normal turbo sound. Any ideas what this could be? I've not owned the car long, and it has only recently started. No error lights on dash or performance loss, just an annoying (and slightly worrying) noise! 42k on the clock if that makes any difference...

I've had a listen under the bonnet but can't pinpoint where it is coming from - too hard to hear anything really with the diesel engine running!!

Appreciate any help/advice or pointers on where to start looking

Thanks,

Lee

Hello Lee, I'm sure you will be made very welcome on the Avensis forum.

Remember that there is no mechanical connection between the engine and the turbo as it is driven by the exhaust pressure, that being the case does the noise lag slightly behind the engine when you rev it up if so it may well be the turbo side, if the noise rises at the same time as the engine then it could be a belt slipping or the bearings in the alternator worn or dry.

Regards Pete.

Remember that there is no mechanical connection between the engine and the turbo as it is driven by the exhaust pressure, that being the case does the noise lag slightly behind the engine when you rev it up if so it may well be the turbo side, if the noise rises at the same time as the engine then it could be a belt slipping or the bearings in the alternator worn or dry.

Regards Pete.

Hi Pete, thanks for the welcome and the advice :) The noise does indeed rise at the same time as the engine and doesn't appear to be lagging behind, and I am unable to hear it at all at idle RPM, it is just about audible at ~1200 rpm and increases in volume and pitch from there on.

It doesn't sound like a belt squeal, but am I correct in thinking a quick spray of some lubricant on the belt should quiet it for a few seconds to try and rule it out?

Thanks again,

Lee

Regards Pete.

Hi Pete, thanks for the welcome and the advice :) The noise does indeed rise at the same time as the engine and doesn't appear to be lagging behind, and I am unable to hear it at all at idle RPM, it is just about audible at ~1200 rpm and increases in volume and pitch from there on.

It doesn't sound like a belt squeal, but am I correct in thinking a quick spray of some lubricant on the belt should quiet it for a few seconds to try and rule it out?

No Lee...don't use lubricants on the belt, only water I was assured / smacked for on the Rav 4 forum !!!! :lol:

Apparently WD and other silly con lubricants rot belts.

Pete...the noise Lee is describing seems very similar to the noise Rambler and others got from their Rav diesel engines,

which I seem to recall was eventually traced to faulty fuel filter lids. There is even a Youtube video / soundtrack thereof....!!!

I could be way off beam, but, hey....it is ME....

Big Kev :thumbsup....SORRY LEE....SEEM TO HAVE TYPED OVER YOU....NICE WELCOME, EH...?

No Lee...don't use lubricants on the belt, only water I was assured / smacked for on the Rav 4 forum !!!! :lol:

:lol: Thanks for the tip, so a quick spray from a water spray bottle then?

Pete...the noise Lee is describing seems very similar to the noise Rambler and others got from their Rav diesel engines,

which I seem to recall was eventually traced to faulty fuel filter lids. There is even a Youtube video / soundtrack thereof....!!!

Big Kev :thumbsup....SORRY LEE....SEEM TO HAVE TYPED OVER YOU....NICE WELCOME, EH...?

Thank you for the reply! Is this the video you mention?

If so, unfortunately it is nothing like the noise I have, that sounds like a depressed dog crying to me :lol:

The best I can describe my noise as is a whistling sound, maybe I'll have to make my own recording!

Have you changed your air intake filter recently and not sealed lid back properly? Is there a crack or leak anywhere on you intake system before the Turbo? These can produce a varify array of whistling sounds directly linked to the engine speed.

Are your belts correctly tensioned? Overtightened they can strain bearing, water pump in particular and this could be the lead in to a bearing failure.

Is the noise the same in every gear? so we can rule out gearbox whine?

A recording would be ideal. As it is very hard to describe a sound to those who have not heard it.

I was going to mention the same as Lupidog with regards to the air intake side. Thats where I would start. Have you checked to see that the MAFF is screwd in properly? I had a similer sound to (On a different car) because it had been over tightened and had a split on the housing.

Welcome along btw :thumbsup:

:lol: Thanks for the tip, so a quick spray from a water spray bottle then?

Thank you for the reply! Is this the video you mention?

If so, unfortunately it is nothing like the noise I have, that sounds like a depressed dog crying to me :lol:

The best I can describe my noise as is a whistling sound, maybe I'll have to make my own recording!

Aye Laddie Lee....that's the video, so me wrong again. :yahoo:

Big Kev

Thank you all for your suggestions and help so far, really appreciate it! I had a brief look over the air intake system last night and could not spot anything obvious (i.e. everything seems secure and I can't see or feel and splits) but I will have a better look at the weekend when it is a bit lighter.

In the mean time I've recorded the sound. Its very short and not the best recording - for some reason youtube seems to has quietened the high pitched sounds of whistle down quite a bit so you may need to turn your headphones/speakers up quite a lot, otherwise it just sounds like a normal diesel engine :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCz39UA2eeY&hd=1

Aye Laddie Lee....that's the video, so me wrong again. :yahoo:

Big Kev

Either way it ruled out one thing so still a big help, thank you! :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

Lee.

Have just found your post from a while back re turbo whine/whistle.

I have exact same noise on my RAV 4.

Did you manage to find out the cause?

just a thought lee and i am surprised no one has mentioned it...does this happen all the time or did it start occuring as the weather cooled down. If the airbox on the lexus is same as avensis then the inlet pipe on the airbox contracts and starts to rattle where it clips into the box itself. There is a foam rubber ring to seal/plug the gap between the two, this is often poorly fitted and doesnt absorb vibration the way it should, the solution - refit the rubber ring with some silicon or put a self tapper in to lock the inlet pipe onto the airbox...it really is a poorly fitting item. It creates a what i can only call growl from under the bonnet, especially when you take your foot off and it goes into overrun/a no fuel position.

• 3 months later...

Hi im having the same problem on my lexus is220d did you manage to find out what the fault was.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links