Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Problem With Hilux

TONKA1

Hi all , JAMES here from Norfolk UK.

Filled up with diesel from a local tesco fuel station , half way through the week , it started to lugg and play up a bit. The engine wouldn't fire untill about 6 seconds when usually straight away. I thought nothing of it. The next day , needed to go out , started it up , it cut out. I decided to take a look , changed the fuel filter , it had a gel like , acid tasting goo in the filter , drained and cleaned the fuel tank , got fresh fuel from a BP garage.

Started , worked fine.

Got home perfectly.

Next day went to start up , it wouldn't even start... just turned over and didn't fire.

I changed the filter and again was this goo stuff.

I took it to Marshalls Toyota in Kings Lynn near me. (Where it sits now.)

They tested the fuel and it contains petrol , parafin and an unidentificated substance. It was contaminated bio-fuel.

Air Flow Meter had a problem , injectors and also fuel pump.

Details:

Toyota 2003 D4D Hilux Crew Cab.

AP03 Plate. Ex demonstrator from Dingles Toyota Attleborough.

Could any one help with spare parts ect and also some help as Toyota want just over £4000 for parts ex labour.

Thanks,

James

it sounds a very miserable tail, personally i would buy a second hand engine and get the local garage to dropit in,

overkill yes but i bet it would be cheaper, lol

Filled up with diesel from a local tesco fuel station , half way through the week , it started to lugg and play up a bit. The engine wouldn't fire untill about 6 seconds when usually straight away. I thought nothing of it. The next day , needed to go out , started it up , it cut out. I decided to take a look , changed the fuel filter , it had a gel like , acid tasting goo in the filter , drained and cleaned the fuel tank , got fresh fuel from a BP garage.

Started , worked fine.

Got home perfectly.

Next day went to start up , it wouldn't even start... just turned over and didn't fire.

They tested the fuel and it contains petrol , parafin and an unidentificated substance. It was contaminated bio-fuel.

Details:

Could any one help with spare parts ect and also some help as Toyota want just over £4000 for parts ex labour.

Thanks,

James

Hi James,

Well, first off I would get it away from that Toyota Garage I find it unbelievable they are obviously just going to replace all the parts, like pump & injectors.....& just how contamninated fuel can damage the air-flow -meter is beyond my comprehension.

In a nut shell: It's a rip-off.

It'll pay you to have it lifted & taken to an independent diesel repair shop (ie. Not affiliated to Toyota)

The injectors & pump should not be beyond redemption.

These things happen on a daily basis to hundreds of vehicles without attracting outlandish bills like that.

The fact that you yourself have managed to get it going & running normally until the "goo" re-appeared just goes to prove, I feel, no permanent damage has been done.

Get the parts off & take them to a diesel injection overhaul shop, for cleaning/calibrating & meanwhile, obviously, flush out your tank.

If I said "Send me 10% of your savings" (on parts alone)as a "thank you"....you'd be sending me a cheque for £350!

Best o'luck.

Thanks guys , the air-flow-meter was not fitted correctly according to Toyota , I will see what I can do :) Cheers!

Started , worked fine.

Got home perfectly.

Details:

Thanks,

James

hi James

try to reach mr Parts King (<devlinj@lindop-brothers.toyota.co.uk>)--he offers discounted spares for TOC members.

and never use bad diesel especially in winter time. A minor advice is -- 1 ltr of kerosene on 20 ltr of diesel fully solves an issue with parafine. It was tested by me personally at minus 16 C here in the Ukraine.

Cheers/Igor

• 1 month later...

I`d get the offending petrol station to pay for all repairs, thats if the Toyota Garage has diagnosed the fault correctly, Probably not is most likely, as the previous post says take it to an independant, stay away from the dealerships, they hav`nt got a clue.

Get the fuel analasis report from toyota if they actually have one and use as evidence, in repair claim agaist petrol station.

I`d get the offending petrol station to pay for all repairs, thats if the Toyota Garage has diagnosed the fault correctly, Probably not is most likely, as the previous post says take it to an independant, stay away from the dealerships, they hav`nt got a clue.

Get the fuel analasis report from toyota if they actually have one and use as evidence, in repair claim agaist petrol station.

well said......

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links