Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wrong Oil Again!

Chris Ray

Hi everyone.

Had my 30000 service in T Spirit Gen 3 yesterday and on collecting the car they gave me the left over oil which they had used for the oil change..........5w-30w!

I queried this and they said it was Toyota recommended for the vehicle.

Luckily, having read the posts on here, I did not accept this and after several phone calls to Toyota and Mobil, the dealer finally accepted they were wrong and have agreed to drain and refill with the correct grade!

I had the 20000 service carried out there 3 months ago and was wondering why my consumption figures had dropped dramatically, even allowing for colder weather (10mpg at least)

As I fill up twice a week, I calculate that the extra cost due to incorrect oil has been at least £240, so I am grateful to all the advice on this forum, as if it had continued that would be a loss of £1000 per year!

Puzzled as to why they are arguing, as the cost of the incorrect oil was still £52, so surely the correct stuff cannot be that much more?

Thanks again

Chris

Hi everyone.

Had my 30000 service in T Spirit Gen 3 yesterday and on collecting the car they gave me the left over oil which they had used for the oil change..........5w-30w!

I queried this and they said it was Toyota recommended for the vehicle.

Luckily, having read the posts on here, I did not accept this and after several phone calls to Toyota and Mobil, the dealer finally accepted they were wrong and have agreed to drain and refill with the correct grade!

I had the 20000 service carried out there 3 months ago and was wondering why my consumption figures had dropped dramatically, even allowing for colder weather (10mpg at least)

As I fill up twice a week, I calculate that the extra cost due to incorrect oil has been at least £240, so I am grateful to all the advice on this forum, as if it had continued that would be a loss of £1000 per year!

Puzzled as to why they are arguing, as the cost of the incorrect oil was still £52, so surely the correct stuff cannot be that much more?

Thanks again

Chris

left over oil? dont they stock in bulk and not cans.they may say they will put in correct oil,but will they.i suppose you will know by the fuel consumption.

Trust me, I will be watching them!!

Surprised me about 1L carton of oil as well, as it is still sealed, presume they charged on the invoice though!!

You should be able to vent your displeasure when the after service survey arrives in 4 weeks time! ;)

Glad the forum helped. Imagine how many owners are driving round unhappy at their fuel economy? I guess this has a knock on effect with how happy Toyota owners are on JD Power surveys (and the like) so;

COME ON TOYOTA GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER AND SORT OUT SOME OF YOUR DEALERS - THEIR COST CUTTING WILL REFLECT ON YOU!

Too right GC!

This is my second Prius and I do about 35000 miles a year, so certainly noticed the drop in MPG, but put it down to cold.

Cannot see what cost saving there is to dealer anyway, as they will only invoice cost of oil to customer in any event?!

Shame that I am just leaving to drive to Carlisle, so will do about 1000 miles next week and no time to change oil before I go, so will end up costing me extra. Oh well.

I cannot understand why some dealers are not fully aware of the correct oil to use in the Gen 3. I agree with G C Toyota need to get the situation sorted. The owners manual should be amended to say only OW20 must be used in the Gen 3.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links