Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hi Looking To Buy A Auris Sr180

xanderyoyo

hi im looking to buy a sr 180 auris just thought id ask here for things to look out for :)

thanks for your help

xan

There isn't an awful lot that goes wrong with these, but its always good to check the service history, and enquire about any recalls that may have been done.

There was a recall for the rear breaks, steering column (i think) and sticking accelerator pedal, so see if any of these recalls have been done.

If it has a full Toyota service history, this could be worth its weight in gold as there are a few instances of the 2.2 engine having head gasket failure. Toyota have extended cover on this to 100,000 miles, but only if the service history is up to date and done by them.

Otherwise, just check its in good condition and you should ok.

Just don't expect high economy as it is unlikely to happen (expect high 30's to mid 40's overall).

:thumbsup:

cool thanks for getting back to me :) im planing on getting one from a m8 who works at a toyota dealer so im hoping he can find me a good one lol :)

You should be looked after then.

A couple of (pesonal) niggle i have with mine, but nothing that can't be sorted...

Stereo is awful for sound. Its flat and very quiet, so if you like your music, you might want to consider a replacement stereo.

Tyres are quite noisy IMO. They wear well though. I'm changing mine today and they have 22,000 on them, and would probably reach 25,000 but i really do hate the noise from them so i'm changing them early.

Otherwise its a good car with a reasonable spec, and if you have a good you should get many years of good driving from it.

:thumbsup:

sell you a nice 09 plate 1.6sr 3 door with 16k on it..................

They go well with the right remap, some cause limp by being too aggressive too early.

Quite tyre sensitive, a good stiff tyre sidewall helps with the body roll. They do under-steer when really pushed.

MPG has been a contentious issue, dont buy it expecting to get the book figures, you won't.

Early models did suffer some head gasket failure. It is very unlikely with 08 models. Very rare failure before. No other mechanical issues, nice package and rapid!

Remaps don't exist for these engines, the Denso ECU is impossible to crack and hack.

There are numerous tuning boxes available, some cheap and some not so cheap.

I have one fitted that i bought from Parts King on here. He is a Toyota parts dealer with a very good reputation on the forum, and offers great customer service on his products. It was at the higher end of the price range, but still cheaper than some other units, and so far it has been excellent. The power is smooth and strong all the way through the range, and i recommend them highly.

hi im looking to buy a sr 180 auris just thought id ask here for things to look out for :)

thanks for your help

xan

The car to be fair is very solid and not to many problems other than poor MPG, my advice is get a decent test drive and see what MPG you get but I would be prepared to expect as low as 30MPG and at best 40MPG but then some of these do 45-48MPG. The thing is no one seems to know why some owners get at best 35MPG where as others can get close to 50MPG and Toyota cant find anything wrong with the cars, I am an x T180 owner (same car apart from body trim) and at first we easily got 40-42MPG and even managed 46MPG but after around 15months of ownership our MPG started to drop and at one point we drove 300miles down the A1 at around 11pm from Edinburgh doing no more than 75 and only got 36MPG. The next day we took the car to Toyota and it was all checked over but no faults found, after 2 years of ownership I drove 110miles mainly motorway and A roads to fetch the new car and only got 32MPG. WTF? I was not driving the car hard and weather was good but 2 years ago the same drive would have returned around 43MPG so why did the MPG drop so much? The truth is I have no answer and Toyota don't or are not sharing this with me but the simple fact was in the end no matter how we drove the car 35MPG seemed the best we could get and for that reason we got rid.

The T180 had only covered 42k when we got rid so was not high mileage and everything seemed fine so I do I regret buying the T180? well no it was a good car and never really cost us anything other than wear and tear plus servicing but would I buy another? not a chance we 100% made the right decision in getting rid and this is mainly backed up for us by high fuel prices and low MPG from a diesel car that we expected was a good investment. I will also say that we did struggle to get the right money on part exchange as now all the dealers are well aware of T180/SR180 poor fuel economy and they told us this was the reason why they offered so little for our car.

I cant say this enough but make sure you get a good test drive so you are aware of the MPG this car will return for you as like I said this varies a lot for the same car and if you are only returning in the low 30s like ours was in the end then you can run a proper performance car for the same costs.

I would also like to say that we used to question if it was our driving in the end but I now know for sure it is not as the new car Honda quote a max of 64MPG and I have managed on one 70mile journey 61MPG and since we have owned the car we have an average of 48MPG for over 2000miles which obviously includes all the short journeys that people make, the T180 in the end was returning an average for this type of driving around 29-31MPG so this is over 50% better on fuel and around here petrol is now also around 6ppl cheaper than diesel.

it seems that a lot of people are saying that bio fuel added to diesel is making some cars mpg worse do you think this may have something to do with the problem ?

thanks for the tips :) are there any piggy back ecus or remaps available ?

There is another box that you may want to take a look at. TUNIT have a very good reputation and a 3 year warranty, plus a drive train warranty to. I don't know of any other that offer such a deal.

The box takes about 10 mins to install and gives around 30+ more bhp and in the region of 10+% more fuel economy and reduces emissions by upto 27%. Plus there are 9 setting that you can adjust manually (Or it can be pluged into a laptop) depending on what you need... More bhp or mpg.

The box cost around £485 but you can pick one up off eBay for well less than £200. Some I've seen go for £50. There are alot of boxes out there that just fool the ECU into thinking that the engine is cold so pumps more fuel into the engine. Or some that boost your Turbo. But the TUNIT box works well within the manufactures limits and there are alot of very good reviews on them. Just do a google search and see what you think. :thumbsup:

it seems that a lot of people are saying that bio fuel added to diesel is making some cars mpg worse do you think this may have something to do with the problem ?

To be honest I found it did not matter where I filled up supermarket or Shell the mpg was still poor and well below what was to be expected. I even did around 5 tanks on shells finest to see if this was a problem but only thing I found was the fuel cost more and the mpg was the same, performance might have been better but as I was driving for good mpg then unfortunately I don't know the answer for this.

• 3 months later...

Is this the same engine that is fitted to the Lexus IS220d which causes a whole load of problems Re: 5th injector? Cars will slowly get more and more uneconomical then go into limp home mode...

I may have an answer regarding the bio-fuel question. I recently took my car into Toyota to have rattle looked at and whilst out with the technicial( dont call them machanics anymore)he asked ne what type of fuel I used. I replied "the cheapest" but if I can get it Shell V Power.

He carried on and told me not to run the car on supermarket fuel. He said that supermarkets add 7% bio-fuel to there diesel where branned fuel only add 5% bio-fuel. The engines do not respond well to the increase. He said Shell, Total or any branded fuel outlet (either premium brand or normal) will provide better quality engine response and reduced risk of engine failure.

I hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

My Mpg has increased to about 42 average since I cleaned up the rear calipers (they were squeaking), one pad on the offside had about half the material of the other one, may have been holding on hence the increase since freeing it.