Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2002 Smt

evralive

Hi Everyone,

Let me start from the beginning..

I bought this 2002 MRS VVTI SMT about 7 months ago, I bought it knowing that the car had no reverse and in mind of fixing it up and getting it back on the road.

Now I noticed when driving it home that all of the gears were also messed up, it seemed as if 1st gear was 3rd, 2nd was 4th and so on..

I sent the car off to the toyota garage and they charged me £280 just to tell me that the gearbox was knackered and I needed a new one, they said the car's trying to change into reverse but reverse isn't inside the gearbox and that the person before me had put in the wrong gearbox for the car (weird i know).

So knowing this I went along and replaced the gearbox (took me a good few days to drop the old one out and put the new one in). Now I finished this yesterday and tested it for the first time today (don't know if I need to get the ecu or gears reset after installing a new gearbox?).

I turned the key once, with my foot on the brake, the car did it's usual thing, the neutral light flashed, the car cycled from 5th to 2nd gear (not 1st for some reason?) then went back to neutral. I turned the key again, the car started first time, sounded really smooth but when I put the car into Reverse or 1'st the gear's don't change. The neutral light stays on like the cars not even trying to change gear, as if the gear stick isn't telling the car to select the gears. Just nothing happens. The car stays in Neutral and the neutral light just continuously flashes.

I'm getting to the end of my teather with this car, i've spent so much on it already and nothing seems to be working.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've google'd for atleast 6 hours trying to find a solution online.

Kind Regards

Simon

Hi Simon welcome to the club and I'm sorry about your problems.

Unfortunately there are very few members here using the SMT and it is something I don't have a clue about.

You could try MR2Roc and see if anyone there can help.

Les

I see, does anyone know if there's a simple way to reset the ecu memory? Without having to plug in any readers?

I see, does anyone know if there's a simple way to reset the ecu memory? Without having to plug in any readers?

Yes, just disconnect your Battery for ten minutes ;)