Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hilux Battery Light Stays On

badsanta

Hi.

I have a 06 plate Hilux.

100 000 miles on the clock

Has two large batteries fitted. To power the additional Speakers and audio system inside.

I have been told it may be a South African import but this has not been confirmed but the plate under the bonnet states SA. I am in the UK

The problem I have been having is the Battery light on the dash stays on. At first it was coming on intermittently but after about 3 weeks it now appears to be staying constantly. I drove 100miles without it coming on stopped for a coffee, restarted truck and the light had come on.

It has been in my local garage and the alternater has been looked at. (thought to have been refurbished). This did'nt show any signs of solving the problem. The alternator has been tested off the truck on the bench and was found to be fully working.

They have also fitted two new regulators which also has not solved the problem.

Wiring has been tested on the truck and found to be ok

I am reluctant to take it to Toyota due to the cost (new alternator costing over £500)

Has anyone come across this problem before or have any idea to its cause

If you need any more information please contact.

I could do with any help asap as I am really stuck without my truck

Thanks

Any help appreciated.

Hi.

I have a 06 plate Hilux.

Has two large batteries fitted. To power the additional speakers and audio system inside.

I have been told it may be a South African import but this has not been confirmed but the plate under the bonnet states SA. I am in the UK

The problem I have been having is the battery light on the dash stays on. At first it was coming on intermittently but after about 3 weeks it now appears to be staying constantly. I drove 100miles without it coming on stopped for a coffee, restarted truck and the light had come on.

It has been in my local garage and the alternater has been looked at. (thought to have been refurbished). This did'nt show any signs of solving the problem. The alternator has been tested off the truck on the bench and was found to be fully working.

I am reluctant to take it to Toyota due to the cost (new alternator costing over £500)

Thanks

Any help appreciated.

hello mate

please investigate how does the relay live?

it sometimes give you a trouble because it needs to be cleaned inside -- i meant contacts.

Cheers/Igor

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I have a 06 plate Hilux.

Has two large batteries fitted. To power the additional speakers and audio system inside.

The problem I have been having is the battery light on the dash stays on. At first it was coming on intermittently but after about 3 weeks it now appears to be staying constantly. I drove 100miles without it coming on stopped for a coffee, restarted truck and the light had come on.

Thanks

Any help appreciated.

hello mate

please investigate how does the relay live?

it sometimes give you a trouble because it needs to be cleaned inside -- i meant contacts.

Cheers/Igor

Hi there: Well, the Battery light is there to show whether or not the Battery is being charged:

Various ways of doing that, sometimes, as Igor suggests it is done with a relay: I would agree, clean the contacts of that relay.(the fact that the problem developed over time would suggest that: Electronic failures are usually "instant" It's YES or NO.....logic 1 or 0.)

Measure the terminal voltage of the batteries (I assume the two are in parallel? or is there some sort of changeover switch?) If the voltage on the Battery posts is 13 volts with the engine running....the alternator is charging normally. (may be 14 or 14.5 just after starting, then dropping to 13 as the charge current falls, ie, as the battery "tops up".)

Switch a few things on, like the lights, then the blower motor: if the voltage meter remains at 13, the charge circuit is ok......if it falls to, say, 11 volts or less: The battery light is doing its' job. You do have a charging fault.

So although this test wont eliminate the light staying on, at least you can use the truck whilst you investigate further.

From what you say: the fault is not the alternator itself. I wouldn't fancy forking out £500 either: A simple relay is a damn sighter cheaper!

Good Luck!

• 12 years later...

I have the exact same problem. The auto sparky says he has never seen the problem before . We have replaced the alternator twice . Its charging fine just really annoying .

Cheers

Willo

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links