Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wiper Washer Problem?

toerant1

Suddenly the water is not squirting from the bonnet appertures onto the windscreen despite pumping the stalk switch inside the car? I have checked the bottle and it is full.The one at the back hasnt worked since I have had the car.

I have just had the car serviced at a non Toyota garage and he says the fault is located at the 'washer divide element' which is under the bonnet on the drivers side in the corner just below the windscreen. He said that the pump is working but that particular part is not and I would have to pursue it with Toyota.

So, even though I have new blades front and back I have to wait until it rains to clean the screens!Has anyone any ideas please?

Sounds like the pipes are blocked to me. Try some Mr muscle drain unblocker or similar in your washer bottle.

Sounds like the pipes are blocked to me. Try some Mr muscle drain unblocker or similar in your washer bottle.

Thanks Trev I will try that . Is it a Carina 11 that you have and do you have a similar part under the bonnet where the washer pipes meet?

Thanks Trev I will try that . Is it a Carina 11 that you have and do you have a similar part under the bonnet where the washer pipes meet?

No, mine was a carina e which has now been scrapped.

I took it to my Toyota dealer late afternoon and they appeared quiet for once. I told them where I thought the problem lay . They came back saying that it was that part under the bonnet beneath the windscreen in the offsidecorner and it meant tightening a loose tube. They have temporarily fixed it in such a way as only the front washers work whether you operate the front washers or the rear screen ones ( they said they had by-passed something?) and gave me an estimate for a replacement part which was just under £100 ! I will consider this but at the moment the washer bottle fluid is being squirted onto the front windscreen efficiently. I asked what I owed them and they said, ' It only took a few seconds, there is no charge' and I had a free cup of coffee as well!They really are trying to redeem their reputation and customers down there.

The diverter plumbing can become blocked with gunge. Try syphoning out as much washer fluid as possible then fill with hand hot water containing some baby bottle sterilising solution. Leave it for 10 or 15 minutes and try using both the fornt and rear washers in 10 second bursts. You may have to repeat several times but thi scure works in around 60% of cases and not just on Toyotas by the way.

You'll have to return the pumbing to its original state first though.:)

White Vinegar. It will descale the pump, pipes and jets. Then flush through with loads of fresh water.

• 10 months later...

Thanks for the responses, you've answered a query I was thinking of asking!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I agree with them, Vinegar is effective on this, then after that rinse with water.

• 2 months later...

Am currently trying Buster Unblocker cos I've gone from one not working to one working. Fortunately it's one of the drivers side ones so I can still see.

• 1 month later...

i had same problem,turned out to be a kinked pipe under the washer bottle.took 30 seconds to fix.2 screws hold washer bottle in,remove them,lift the bottle up,untangle the tubes and re fit is reverse of removal,everything is still working on mine and that was 3 month ago....