Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Timing Belt Or Chain

martin552

Hello everyone,

I am new owner of toyota avensis.Does anyone know if a Toyota Avensis Estate 2004 T3-x 1.8 (petrol) has a timing belt or a chain?My milleage is 81000.

How often does the belt (or chain) need replacing? Unfortunately, I don't have a service manual to refer to.Cheers for response :help:

Hello everyone,

I am new owner of toyota avensis.Does anyone know if a Toyota Avensis Estate 2004 T3-x 1.8 (petrol) has a timing belt or a chain?My milleage is 81000.

How often does the belt (or chain) need replacing? Unfortunately, I don't have a service manual to refer to.Cheers for response :help:

Hello and welcome :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if yours has chains or a belt. But if its chains then this is a non-service item so no need to be replaced. Happy days. Just make sure the engine oil is changed on a regular basic as if its like the Audi 3.2 (32v) petrol engines the oil lubes the chain an they had problems with the chains going and that engine was £12776 a go! Ouch :crybaby:

Hi

Why not ring your local sure-to-be-very-helpful Toyota dealership with engine no./details etc. and ask them?

And maybe try eBay for a service manual.

Hello everyone,

Hello and welcome :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if yours has chains or a belt. But if its chains then this is a non-service item so no need to be replaced. Happy days. Just make sure the engine oil is changed on a regular basic as if its like the Audi 3.2 (32v) petrol engines the oil lubes the chain an they had problems with the chains going and that engine was £12776 a go! Ouch :crybaby:

It has timing belt. It should be replaced every 60K.

Assuming your description of the car - 2004 1.8 Petrol Avensis is correct then it is definitely a chain driven engine. Specifically a 1ZZ-FE 1.8 VVT-i. The chain is not a servicable part and should never need changing

I found this website http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/ .If you put your VIN of car that show you what engine you have.My engine is 1ZZFE: 1800CC 16-VALVE DOHC EFI.It is chain but for sure I ring tomorrow to dealership.Thanks Devon :thumbsup:

1zz = vvti = Chain

• 8 years later...

I'm interested in buying a 2005 1.6 Toyota avensis petrol just wondering if it has a timing belt or chain

• 1 year later...

Hi 

I have just bought a 2007 1800 estate does this have a timing belt or chain

many thanks 

trevor

iirc that's the 1ZZ-FE 1.8 so it will be chain, regular oil changes with decent oil is a must

• Like 1