Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying Advice Please

misterjingles

Hi , looking to purchase an Aygo in a couple of months time so just doing a little research first.

1. What can I expect to buy for £4K-£4.5K ?

2. Any downside to choosing a semi auto box ??

3. Any Recalls to check for on prospective models ??

5. The best options to look out for , i.e air con Etc.

Any feedback would be most welcome

Hi , looking to purchase an Aygo in a couple of months time so just doing a little research first.

Welcome to TOC :thumbsup:

1) no idea, i only buy new. Best thing is to look at dealers, but maybe 2/3 years old?

2) its not a semi auto box. It is a manual box with auto clutch as no doubt others will tell you! Big discussion on here a few weeks ago about that!

3/4) - no number 4 in yours... Recalls, sorry cant help, things to look for? Depends on what you want and what you want to pay.... We have an Aygo Blue MMT, a/c and bluetooth but no alloy wheels (so no yobs trying to nick them)

Not much help I'm afraid, but it really is your choice!

The semi-auto (Which I shall refer to as the MMT, as that is what it's called :)) is something I'd have a test drive in to see how it feels if you've not driven one before.

Most people don't like it in automatic mode, and the only ones that do like it either own Aurises with the updated one or drive it in manual mode all the time :lol:

You're better off reading the Aygo forums for known issues, but ones that has come up recently have been some notchiness on the manual shifting 1-2 and early wear on the MMT clutch.

One classic problem is rain leaking into the footwells, but this seems to have been fixed in later models.

You can find most models for £4k - £4500, but probably not a Blue. You'll be looking at one from 2006/07. Being a city car, they generally have low mileage too.

I've not tried an MMT so can't really comment.

The only recall I can remember was for the electronic accelerator pedal for the MMT (I'm shocked no one else remembered this).

I've got a poverty spec Aygo and I love it. The Mrs would like the electric windows and central locking on the Aygo+. If you have to ferry around old people or dogs, try to find a 5 door (the only thing I'd change if I buy another). Air con is useful but you'll be lucky to find one in your price range.

Don't forget, if you can live with driving an ugly car, there also the C1 and 107 :)

I will try to answer these to best that i know.

1) For that kind of money you could expect a 3-4 year old model with average mileage (based on 12k a year) but this of course depends on which spec you get. Well this is what I have seen looking 2nd hand prices.

2) No downsides as such, however it is really recommended you test drive the MMT box first. Some people expect the car to drive like a full auto which it does not.

3) Only recall was that from last year which modified the accelerator pedal. Best check with Toyota if this was carried out or if the perspective car was affected.

4) Options - Well air con is definately a bonus and is desirable especially 2nd hand. There is the appearance enhancing options such as alloys, moulding strips etc but these are not essential per se and really is down to you. Other than this thats about it, as the Aygo does not come with many options when new.

Hope that helps.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links