Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What To Say To Toyota

etihad

Hi all,

I'm taking my Compressor into Benfield Toyota in Leeds on the 27th for a service. My car has developed 3 problems. The first is a weired thud/thump kind of noise. You can only make it out at low speeds when driving. It's coming from the passenger side shock absorber. Also at very low speed's around 5MPH there is a high pitched squeak coming from the same side. I was told it's dirty brakes but it comes even when I'm not touching the brake pedal. the last problem problem I've got is the creaking clutch pedal which I know it's just a common problem with the way the master cylinder was built. No major problems but annoying does anyone have an idea what the problem coming from the shock absorbers is? maybe need new bushes?

My car is under warranty from Toyota in Ilkeston, I was just thinking because Benffield Toyota in Leeds said they will do a free diagnosis on all the problems, if they said i need new bushes or whatever do you think I can get them fixed down at Toyota Ilkeston under the warranty?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• etihad

• blutto

• minidoughty

• Parts-King

Hi all,

I'm taking my Compressor into Benfield Toyota in Leeds on the 27th for a service. My car has developed 3 problems. The first is a weired thud/thump kind of noise. You can only make it out at low speeds when driving. It's coming from the passenger side shock absorber. Also at very low speed's around 5MPH there is a high pitched squeak coming from the same side. I was told it's dirty brakes but it comes even when I'm not touching the brake pedal. the last problem problem I've got is the creaking clutch pedal which I know it's just a common problem with the way the master cylinder was built. No major problems but annoying does anyone have an idea what the problem coming from the shock absorbers is? maybe need new bushes?

My car is under warranty from Toyota in Ilkeston, I was just thinking because Benffield Toyota in Leeds said they will do a free diagnosis on all the problems, if they said i need new bushes or whatever do you think I can get them fixed down at Toyota Ilkeston under the warranty?

I was under the impression that the warranty was valid at any dealer??

You warranty should be covered by all Toyota dealers, just ask them of your unsure mate.

Ron brooks Ilkeston are really good, that's where I got my CTS from and they have sorted loads of stuff out for me.

That's what I thought, but because it was Ron Brooks, and the Toyota dealer I'm taking it to are Benfield I didn't think they would. I was under the impression it's franchise. If anything comes up I will give Ron Brooks a bell.

can't speak for the leeds lot but i've never had any trouble with benfield wakefield they've always given service with a smile and always been willing to help when problems arise (rarely tho).

can i just take this chance to say the parts prices at the bradford toyota dealer on canal road are a total a** rape!

sounds like another compressor with a blown shock.

Yeah the Toyota in Bradford isn't the best place to go to.

I don't think it's a blown shock, when i go over speed bumps it's absolutely fine, no noise. you can only make out the noise when going really slow over a crack on the road or curb or something that isn't even but you need to be going around 2-5MPH.

Sound like similar prolem I had with my old astra, the drop link ball joint had worn down, it to was fine over speed bumps ect but soon as you go slow over a pot hole it knocked and rattled. Really easy and cheap to do your self, if Toyota say it is this problem

sounds like another compressor with a blown shock.

Sorry man but I think he's right, just the same as mine hence BCs, just glad you've still got warranty.

Changed top mounts, drop links but it just got worse and evetualy on my last service they noticed a leak on the damper.

Do you think it will be covered by warranty?

Read your warranty booklet, it will tell you if it is covered. if it's NOT mentioned then i doubt it will be covered

Kingo :thumbsup:

Just found out it is covered.

Nice one, make sure they replace both front shocks.

Sounds like your drop links easy to diagnose yourself, get your wheel off and you will see a small bar with 2 ball joints running parallel to your shock, if it moves easily then it's nackered both of mine have gone sounds dreadful!

I dunno if i will be able to convince them to change both. Its the passanger side thats making the noise.

I've checked if the shock is leaking oil but couldn't see any oil. Also tried to see if it bounces when you put pressure but was stiff. So maybe it is the drop links

That wont happen. The shock absorber that has failed will be covered, you cannot replace parts in pairs under any warranty, not even new. It might be good engineering practice but you have no rights to force them to do it

That wont happen. The shock absorber that has failed will be covered, you cannot replace parts in pairs under any warranty, not even new. It might be good engineering practice but you have no rights to force them to do it

Yeh thought it might be a long shot, but if you don't ask. :lol:

your place changed both rears on mine when only one had blown pity they bent the exhaust when they done it.

Got two new drop links in the shed (I think) they were only on a month or so, the B Cs came with their own drop links.

If you want to try these first like I did give me a PM but having a few days away over Easter.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Right took my compressor for the service check and for them to diagnose the suspension problem.

Apparently there is nothing wrong at all, the only thing that came back was my brakes are 70% worn and tread on the passenger tyre was 3.5.

However I have noticed something, when I got the car back, the whole exhaust note was totally different it still had the grunt but defiantly not the same as it was before (it’s a custom exhaust) you could hear the engine noise more than the exhaust to the extent where my mate noticed the faint whine of the supercharger. The power didn’t feel as savage as it did before. I’ve had this when I have reset the ECU, which I thought maybe they had done. I rang Toyota up, and they said it’s not a standard procedure for them to reset the ECU and the technician actually asked me how you do it!!

From the list they gave me they had changed the following:

Engine oil-semi-synthetic 05-30W Oil filter Oil drain/gasket

It was a 20k service.

I wouldn’t of thought any of the above would change the feel of the car in anyway, so I reset the ECU yesterday and the grunt is back, but not as it was before, so am going to give the ECU time to adapt and hopefully it will be back. I got told at the service desk that one of there technician's had a compressor, so maybe if he serviced my car he reset it????

Do you guy’s recommend fully synthetic oil or semi for the engine oil and which grade?And as for the oil filter does it need to be a special oil filter or are they all the same?

Thanks

Took mine in two or three times for the knocking and they also found nothing wrong, only on the last visit for a service did they find a slight dampnes on the offside strut but by that time the knocking was getting quite bad.

I guess i will just have to keep an eye on it.

Can someone advice do i need to change my oil to a fully-synthetic asap? Or is it ok with the current semi-synthetic am bricking it just incase it's causing harm. All previous service papers say synthetic and not semi.

The creaking clutch (if outside) will be the clutch pivot bearing which can be lubed from the engine bay through the rubber grommit going into the gearbox, they get dirty and need re-lubing periodically. Be sparing if you squirt grease in there though, very close to the clutch plate.

If the noise is inside, just take off the plastic panel below the steering wheel and squirt white lithium grease where the clutch piston goes through the firewall.

Thanks mate, i will have a look when i get time, but could anyone shed a light on the engine oil too?