Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1997 Alternator Change - Difficult? Tips?

nathanlcp

Hello Everyone.

Firstly thank you to all with previous issues and advice.

It appears my alternator has packed up on my 1997 2.0l petrol Rav4.

I drove home from work a couple of nights ago, the Battery light came on.

Did a bad parking job, so tried starting her up again, but it would not start. The Engine light and Battery light were both on......just a clicking noise then failure when turning key.

I'm a little remote with village life so called out the AA to run some tests and they advised me the alternator had packed up, recieving no charge from the Battery which was at 11.9 Volts.

I am picking up a second hand alternator tonight, and will fit it tomorrow with a mechanic friend, but would like some advice or tips on any area that might be tricky in changing the alt, first time on a Rav for us. Is there a specific way we should loosen tension on the belt etc??

All hints and tips would be appreciated, along with advice from people who may have encountered the same symptoms on their Rav before, and if there were any after effects or issues.....ie could it be battery issues also??

Many thanks again

Nathan

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links