Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looks Like The Aygo Will Have To Go

Mord

My wife changed her job recently and doesn't need a car to commute at all (bus pass for the whole month is £60). Her car is on Toyota Finance and she said she was not going to pay the last payment in September (roughly £3200) and just want to get rid of the car. She saved about £2500 so far but now she wants to use it for other purpose (holiday, house decorating, more bags and shoes lol). I think she is already fed up with saving for it, I cannot blame her.

Not exactly what we planed but it's just life I suppose. We decided to keep my Astra as the only car. The Astra is not cheap on petrol and tax, but it's a reliable, still low mileage (46k), full size car with 5 seats and big boot and we won't do more than 7-8k miles a year anyway..

Besides it's mine, fully paid and cherished LOL.

Circumstances always change, you make the best deciion at the time - I've just changed my car as my old one was no longer fit for prupose.

I would say to you to carefully think about handing it back. Look on Autotrader or Toyota website at how much your type of car is selling for - it's a lot more than you owe on it. Pay it off then sell it privately.

Are you crazy, why not keep the Aygo as its a lot less cost to run? The Astra will need replacing sooner so long term this makes no sense.

Although i agree with an Aygo over an Astra any day of the week i sure do miss a big boot. We both have Aygo's and it's a real pain when you need to move some large stuff. Not sure if you have kids or not but if you do maybe the astra would make sense. I suppose the extra in tax and fuel wouldnt be so bad if your only running one car.

The value of the Aygo is around £4000 at the moment and will probably drop the best part of a grand by September. So do your sums on that basis.

One advantage of the Astra is that the bulk of its depreciation value has now passed. Plus spares and servicing for the Astra will be a good deal lower.

Yes the Aygo is cheap to run but at the end of the day it's down to personal choice, practability and finance.:)

Aygo is cheaper to run, but as the only family car it's unpractical. The purpose of the Aygo was to be a 2nd car/commuter for my wife. Tiny boot is the pain in the a**. And we need a car for long distance trips (a few a year) as well so we need a big boot. We have one child and are planing to have another one in a year or two.

The Astra is in mint condition, it's mine with no finance on it. To me it has more value than money I could get for it (probably roughly could get 3 grand). It's 04 reg and has only 46k miles on the clock and no faults. It's quite special model with factory fitted bodykit, not that easy to find.

AstraSRI-04-2011-001.jpg

AstraSRI-04-2011-003.jpg

Aygo has got 22k miles on the clock, it's got some bits and bobs which would need some attention the major one is the front wing is slightly dented as somebody reversed into my wife's car when it was parked (my wife didn't bother to claim on her insurance as it would probably cost £200 to fix if we wanted to) and also one stone chip around the roof just by the windscreen. Mechanically everything is sound. So no real problems with this car either.

We don't need 2 cars anymore, and both of them have pros and cons. But as we don't do more than 8k miles a year, fuel economy (Aygo wins here hands down) is not the main factor in our decision.

I suppose your right if your only doing 8k a year fuel won't be a killer in either. I agree with the boot an kid issue. Were looking at possibly having kids in the next few years so one of the Aygo's will have to go. I'll probably pop down to Mr T at some point next year, i do quite fancy one of the new Yaris Hybrids when there out.

Aygo is cheaper to run, but as the only family car it's unpractical. The purpose of the Aygo was to be a 2nd car/commuter for my wife. Tiny boot is the pain in the a**. And we need a car for long distance trips (a few a year) as well so we need a big boot. We have one child and are planing to have another one in a year or two.

The Astra is in mint condition, it's mine with no finance on it. To me it has more value than money I could get for it (probably roughly could get 3 grand). It's 04 reg and has only 46k miles on the clock and no faults. It's quite special model with factory fitted bodykit, not that easy to find.

AstraSRI-04-2011-001.jpg

AstraSRI-04-2011-003.jpg

Aygo has got 22k miles on the clock, it's got some bits and bobs which would need some attention the major one is the front wing is slightly dented as somebody reversed into my wife's car when it was parked (my wife didn't bother to claim on her insurance as it would probably cost £200 to fix if we wanted to) and also one stone chip around the roof just by the windscreen. Mechanically everything is sound. So no real problems with this car either.

We don't need 2 cars anymore, and both of them have pros and cons. But as we don't do more than 8k miles a year, fuel economy (Aygo wins here hands down) is not the main factor in our decision.

If you hand your Aygo back with bodywork damage, Toyota will make a charge as you should return any vehicle bought on PCP in "good" condition for the age and mileage

It's in good condition apart from the front wing which has no paint damage, but it has a slight dent.

It's in good condition apart from the front wing which has no paint damage, but it has a slight dent.

A dented wing is quite likely to incurr an excess damage surcharge

Are you saying it's better to have it fixed first?

Are you saying it's better to have it fixed first?

Absolutely!

You will be able to get it done much cheaper than you will be charged by Mr T.

:thumbsup:

I'll try to get it from a scrap yard.. you cannot get it cheaper than that. Already painted, and colour matching the rest of the car ;)

I'll try to get it from a scrap yard.. you cannot get it cheaper than that. Already painted, and colour matching the rest of the car ;)

That is a bit extreme for a minor dent............Why not try somewhere like "Dent Devils" if the paintwork is not damaged.........(About £75 to £80 per panel)

Would definately save the time and hassle of removeing the damaged panel :thumbsup:

Good luck in finding a front wing in good condition and the correct colour match from a scrapyard if that is what you decide to do!

I currently have two children and like you we have an Astra Diesel and an Aygo. The Aygo takes all the family and can even get the pushchair in the boot. If i had to choose between the two I might just go for the Astra as its Diesel and only 5 years old, otherwise if it had been a petrol Astra I know I would go for the Aygo. Guess its a matter of choice but think hard about when you'll need to change the Astra, will come around sooner......

I will probably get shot for this but i would have the Astra anytime of the week, i like my little aygo, its a cheap and cheerful car to drive but having owned an astra diesel i can vouch for what a lovely car they are. We also owned a picasso for 9 years which is a far superior car to the aygo and we use that for family trips and shopping . The aygo does me fine for what i want it for (trips to work) but if it was the only car in the household it would simply be too small.

You won't get shot for that! We all love the Aygo for what its built for... i.e. £20 road tax, low insurance and great fuel economy! For everything else like masses of space and comfort... get something else! Mind you the Aygo is the only car I have and does me just fine... fits both my mountain bikes INSIDE! lol