Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Turbo

robert783

hi everyone new to this i recently bought a 2003 rav4 d4d when i checked the engine levels i noticed the vacum pipe to the wastegate had been blanked off i reconected the pipe but the turbo opened to its maximum on idle when i try to drive the engine will hold back at about 2500 revs and the engine management light comes and the engine dies i can switch it off then it will restart the turbo returns ti closed if i disconnect the vacum pipe any suggestions thanks

hi everyone new to this i recently bought a 2003 rav4 d4d when i checked the engine levels i noticed the vacum pipe to the wastegate had been blanked off i reconected the pipe but the turbo opened to its maximum on idle when i try to drive the engine will hold back at about 2500 revs and the engine management light comes and the engine dies i can switch it off then it will restart the turbo returns ti closed if i disconnect the vacum pipe any suggestions thanks

hello mate

check with VSV as per this --http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=100034

Cheers/Igor

hi Robert

Looks like previous owner was having problems with turbo overboost which is quite a common problem on the rav.Basically u get to 2500ish rpm ,starts hesitating mil comes on giving 1250/1251 code if read. Loads of threads on here but in my opinion things to look for are vsv as igor says, suction control valves on fuel pump and sticking variable vanes on turbo.

hello mate

check with VSV as per this --http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=100034

Cheers/Igor

hi Robert

Looks like previous owner was having problems with turbo overboost which is quite a common problem on the rav.Basically u get to 2500ish rpm ,starts hesitating mil comes on giving 1250/1251 code if read. Loads of threads on here but in my opinion things to look for are vsv as igor says, suction control valves on fuel pump and sticking variable vanes on turbo.

hi dognobler iam going to try the vsv i stripped the turbo lst week the vanes were sticky cleaned them all, somebody mentioned cleaning the vsv with wd40 tried that didnt help when i try the vsv let you know how i get on

vsv comes apart fairly easily. Press the tabs together on the end plate and gently blow air up opposite pipe and it should come apart. I have some pics somewhere if it will help.

:thumbsup:Aye - and make sure the pipes are the right way round on the VSV

vsv comes apart fairly easily. Press the tabs together on the end plate and gently blow air up opposite pipe and it should come apart. I have some pics somewhere if it will help.

hi dognobler i will have a look at that the thing i did try was to take the multiplug of the vsv the turbo returns to closed so i assume the vsv workes ok thanks

hi anchor man the pipes seem to be different sizes so i assume they are fittd correctly but i cant find any information to see which way they should be thanks

Hi dognobbler, re your pics of removing vsv could u pleas pm me them or post? I'm checkin' EVERYTHING to do with the turbo be4 it goes into garage for a fix! thanx, baz

Robert

Pics are on my mobile and the wire to dload is at work and i wont be there till next week,If you let me have your mobile no i can text them.

Robert

Pics are on my mobile and the wire to dload is at work and i wont be there till next week,If you let me have your mobile no i can text them.

i finaly got a vsv and changed it but didnt solve the problem i will have to keep trying

Robert

hi dognobler i changed the vsv it did not cure the problem i shall have to keep trying, do you know what the unit does that fits before the turbo sensor the vacum pipe goes from the manifold to this unit then the vacum pipe goes to turbo pressure sensor

• 2 weeks later...

Took the Rav4 on holiday, 500 miles around Tip. Cleared out my Turbo troubles @ a Cost of £120 pounds in fuel £1.44 on diesel. Better then £500 recondition + fitting if not more.

Took 'A' Roads on the way down come back on 'M' Roads, Hitting 70- 100 + mile short controlled boost.

Please don't try this @ Home it may get you some points + fine, Towards the up keep of pot holes Roads. :thumbsup: