Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlights

tdavensis

Afternoon,

I've been driving my Avensis for almost 2.5 years now, and in that time its used 3 headlight bulbs. Two were simultaneous whilst the third was this morning. In typical bad timing they worked fine last night, but by the MOT this morning the passenger side bulb had failed! Luckily I carry a spare, so didn't have to pay dealership prices for a replacement. However it started me wondering if anybody else uses quite so many bulbs?

The other thing that crossed my mind was HID conversions. Has anybody tried fitting HID kits to their Avensis? From what I've found online, the 477 headlight builb is also known as H7 - and H7 HID kits are approx $400.

i was thinking of putting osram bulbs to my car as i do a lot of night time driving anybody know if they make a lot of difference, i have read the report from auto trader, but would like some ones personel opinion

I've used Halfords All Weather bulbs, which I wasn't that impressed with, although I had an opportunity to change when both failed at the same time (Hmmmm I wonder if that was sheer bad luck, or something to do with the car!?). I chose Halfords 30% brighter (cheaper than the Toyota Dealerships standard ones) and have been fairly impressed.

I'm considering buying the newer 50% brighter ones (~£20 for a pair) but still flirting with the idea of HID. I think I can tackle installation myself, and I'd certainly appreciate the more light for driving on dark wet Welsh roads.

There are lots of bargains to be had on e bay .

I ordered a pair of OSRAM Cool Blue Halogens for my Avensis on Monday and they arrived Wednesday.

Price including recorded delivery and bubble wrapping £8.95.

What do you think of the cool blue bulbs?

I asked about HID lights on the LOC forum, and the advice there was that to retro-fit HID lamps, you need to also fit automatic levelling and headlight washers! Makes it a bit pricey to do all that!!

Well I just paid £12 for a couple of "50% brighter Osram SilverStar" bulbs.

Will let you know how I get along with them

let us know if there was a big improvement as these were the bulbs i was going to get also where did u get a pair for 12 notes

let us know if there was a big improvement as these were the bulbs i was going to get also where did u get a pair for 12 notes

You will get a little improvement but will still end up with a yellowy tinge and not look that good. Mine are crystal white with a blue tinge and i still smile when i bang on the mainbeams down a country road, the whole road has a blueish glow :D

But as said they are H7's so you need 3 sets to change the lot so mainbeam/highbeam and fogs came to £150, got a free set of led side lights though.

i have cool blue in the supra and the improvement is 200%. although saying that the headlights in a MKII are not that good at the best of times. have to rely heavily on the front fogs on country roads (remembering to turn them off if anything comes the other way) conciencious driver and all that. :thumbsup:

You will get a little improvement but will still end up with a yellowy tinge and not look that good. Mine are crystal white with a blue tinge and i still smile when i bang on the mainbeams down a country road, the whole road has a blueish glow :D

But as said they are H7's so you need 3 sets to change the lot so mainbeam/highbeam and fogs came to £150, got a free set of led side lights though.

Is that just changing the bulbs, or have you gone to HID technology?

I fitted my 50% extra brightness bulbs today, they seem better - but then I had 30% brighter ones before so its not going to be a huge step!

For anybody interested I got them from eBay - item number 2467594656. £12 delivered and they arrived next day.

put my new 5o% osram bulbs in yesterday, i felt there was a big improvement and was impressed with the price and service from the eBay seller, thanks for the link tdaavensis :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Go for those OSRAM silverstar bulbs, they are brilliant.

Remember blue coloured bulbs = loss of light. It's electrical engineering common sence!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links