Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 D4D Brake Fluid Change

AvensisKen

Hi there,

I need to change the brake fluid on my ftv-1cd 2.0 D4D as it has not been done in years. I had a look through the service manual, but it is a bit vague. Anybody have any tips on how to do it?

Also, How do I get out that annoying little strainer in the brake fluid resevoir? I can't suck out any fluid while it is in there, and I don't want to break it pulling it out!

Once I get it out, is it just a matter of sucking out the fluid to above the outlet, adding more, then bleeding the brakes from furthest to closest? Do I need to have the car running or stopped?

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Hi there,

I need to change the brake fluid on my ftv-1cd 2.0 D4D as it has not been done in years. I had a look through the service manual, but it is a bit vague. Anybody have any tips on how to do it?

Also, How do I get out that annoying little strainer in the brake fluid resevoir? I can't suck out any fluid while it is in there, and I don't want to break it pulling it out!

Once I get it out, is it just a matter of sucking out the fluid to above the outlet, adding more, then bleeding the brakes from furthest to closest? Do I need to have the car running or stopped?

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Hi Ken,

I've done mine using Motul RBF 600 Factory Line racing brake fluid from Opie Oils. I used a self bleed kit by Gunson which is dead easy to use and cost about £20. Start with bleeding the brakes from the rear wheels and then work forwards. The kit tells you exactly what to do and its all done in about 45 mins. :thumbsup:

THanks for the replies!

I think i'm going to do it myself, more for the fun of doing it myself than anything else.

Mistermena, do you have to bleed the master cylinder during the process? The service manual mentions that you have to do it after draining the fluid, but I hope that doesn't apply to replacing and bleeding fluid.

Ken

Ken, if the master cylinder is fiddly (and they certainly can be) simply take your time and, as the old fluid level drops during bleeding, top it up gently with new brake fluid. You will end up using a bit more new fluid as you drain it but its not like you are going to break the bank using it. If you bleed the system the old fashioned way (ie without buying a gadget to sort it for you) you will need a patient and obedient assistant to press and hold the pedal when you say and release it when you say. Sounds simple but its amazing how many people can't follow simple instructions - especially if you are married to them!

Hi AvensisKen

As Mistermena has said, using a Gunsons Eezibleed is the way to go. Follow the instructions carefully & you shouldn't have a problem. A day or two before you start, run a little WD40 onto the bleed nipple threads as they can corrode & easily snap but DO NOT LET ANYTHING OTHER THAN BRAKE FLUID get into the system. I LIGHTLY smear a copper based anti seize compound on the threads of the bleed nipples upon completion & the nipples only need to be nipped up. Start with the longest pipe run first, usually the RNS & progress to the shortest,FOS. Use transparent pipe & when the colour of the fluid changes from disgusting to light amber, you know that section is done & with very little waste.Use the grade of brake fluid listed for your model.

Best of luck

Thanks again for all the replies!

I ended up buying the Gunson Eazibleed on eBay yesterday, just for an easy life. I can imagine that giving albeit simple instructions to the wife could well end with "picture-no-sound" for at least a day, maybe two!

Can anyone confirm that one of the attachments will fit the avensis resevoir screw top? (2004 d4d ftv-1cd). It would be a pain in the backside if I have to go drilling the cap to make it fit! Also, does anyone know the correct sequence for bleeding in this car? hmm, cant remember what side is nearside and what side is offside!

Thanks,

Ken

I ended up buying the Gunson Eazibleed on Ebay yesterday, just for an easy life. I can imagine that giving albeit simple instructions to the wife could well end with "picture-no-sound" for at least a day, maybe two!

Can anyone confirm that one of the attachments will fit the avensis resevoir screw top? (2004 d4d ftv-1cd). It would be a pain in the backside if I have to go drilling the cap to make it fit! Also, does anyone know the correct sequence for bleeding in this car? hmm, cant remember what side is nearside and what side is offside!

Thanks,

Ken

Ken...as you are going to change your brake oil, why dont you make a video of whole procedure and upload it on youtube.

It will help others. :thumbsup:

I ended up buying the Gunson Eazibleed on Ebay yesterday, just for an easy life. I can imagine that giving albeit simple instructions to the wife could well end with "picture-no-sound" for at least a day, maybe two!

Thanks,

Ken

Hi ken.the near side is the side nearest to the kirb,thats the left when in driving seat and the off side is the other side.(in UK)

normal to start bleeding from brake the farthest from the m/cylinder and then the next farthest.though i have seen instructions for other sequences.but starting at the farhest

brake and you wont go far wrong.

THanks for the replies!

I think i'm going to do it myself, more for the fun of doing it myself than anything else.

Mistermena, do you have to bleed the master cylinder during the process? The service manual mentions that you have to do it after draining the fluid, but I hope that doesn't apply to replacing and bleeding fluid.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Sorry for the late responce as we've been away on holiday. As Stu and others have said its quite straight forwards. Follow Stu's advice as he's bang on on "How to" do the brakes. And keep bleading them untill the fluid changes color as has been mentioned on here. Remember to use a good quality fluid and you wont go far wrong. :thumbsup: