Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Air Conditioning

peterd_pd

I have an Avensis D4D colour Collection 2.0 first registered March 2007 - this has manual air conditioning.

Recently I have noticed that the air conditioning had become ineffective and the air flow very poor inside the car.

I have managed to locate and clean the air conditioning filter (which was extremely dirty)- this is situated behind the glove box (instructions of how to do this are in the owners manual). [i was somewhat surprised because I have aways had Toyota services and it is one of the items supposedly on the major service schedule.]

Cleaning this filter has improved the air flow significantly but the air con still appears not to be working.

I have tried it using both external and recycling air intake - I can't detect any cooling on either.

What could be the cause of this?

I presume there must be a compressor or heat exchanger/cooler of some kind + air conditioning fluid.

If so, how do I check each of these and is likely to be feasibile for me to repair/top up etc myself or would I need to get it done professionaly? I have limited mechanical ability.

One other thing perhaps worth mentioning is that during the winter, I lost the plasic sheet that is under the engine (ie it sits between the road and the engine). This was forced down, probably by wind on the motoway and badly damaged and I had to cut it away. Would this affect the air con directly? (I know there may be a danger from stones etc.).

Many thanks.

PeterD

I suspect the air-con system needs a proper service - they do tend to loose efficiency over time.

A proper service checks for leaks efficiency, etc.

Just pray that all that is required as repairs can be very expensive.

Fit a new cabin filter - as the filter out microscopic particles whilst they appear clean it's surprising how ineffective they become.

Would respectfully suggest you get Mr.T to service your air con, Peter, as they also add the required lubricant as well as new refrigerant. This apparently keeps the seals of your air con supple in order to prevent leakage. I paid £45.00 for my Avensis two years ago, they had the car for a few hours whilst filling it back up and leak checking at the same time. Well worth it. New cabin filter a must....vacuuming only superficial once it gets to a certain stage.

Would also replace your engine splash guard, which has nothing toi do with your air con's inefficiency....but it really stops mega crud building up all over engine bay, electrics, etc.....betcha it will NOT be cheap though.

Big Kev :eek:

I have an Avensis D4D colour Collection 2.0 first registered March 2007 - this has manual air conditioning.

Recently I have noticed that the air conditioning had become ineffective and the air flow very poor inside the car.

I have managed to locate and clean the air conditioning filter (which was extremely dirty)- this is situated behind the glove box (instructions of how to do this are in the owners manual). [i was somewhat surprised because I have aways had Toyota services and it is one of the items supposedly on the major service schedule.]

Cleaning this filter has improved the air flow significantly but the air con still appears not to be working.

I have tried it using both external and recycling air intake - I can't detect any cooling on either.

I presume there must be a compressor or heat exchanger/cooler of some kind + air conditioning fluid.

If so, how do I check each of these and is likely to be feasibile for me to repair/top up etc myself or would I need to get it done professionaly? I have limited mechanical ability.

One other thing perhaps worth mentioning is that during the winter, I lost the plasic sheet that is under the engine (ie it sits between the road and the engine). This was forced down, probably by wind on the motoway and badly damaged and I had to cut it away. Would this affect the air con directly? (I know there may be a danger from stones etc.).

Many thanks.

PeterD

I agree with previous respondents, get the AC serviced. You can tell if the AC compressor is cutting in, just let the engine tick over when warmed up and switch on the AC you should here the load increase on the engine.

Fitter

Many thanks.

PeterD

Peter

Hello

put A/C ON and adjust the coldest temp (+16C) and keep it running for a while. Meanwhile touch both suction and deliver tubes joining the compressor and advise their temperatures. There must be a sharp temp diference - delivevrvy one must be hot and other is wise.

Please come back with observations,

Cheers/Igor

I agree with the comments about a re-gas, if you dont use the aircon regularly, it loses it gas gradually, and becomes more ineffective until the compressor wont cut in at all. There is a trinary switch that senses the system gas pressure, and cuts off the compressor if the pressure drops too low, hence the a/c light will be on, but the compressor will not be turning.

I have used Kwik Fit in the past for an a/c regas, usually about £50 - they put it on the machine, which sucks out the old refrigerant (if any is left in) and vacuum tests for leaks. It then recharges the gas and lubricating oil. Process takes about 40 - 60 mins if done properly and there are no leaks.

When re-gassed - you must use the a/c for about 20 mins every few weeks to keep the system from leaking again, even in winter!

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my question concerning air conditioning.

It does sound as if I need to get it properly serviced.

Maybe I should have mentioned that although the car is only 4 years old, I have done about 73.5K miles.

Cookie Monster - Interesting that it need to be used every week to keep in good order. Thanks for the tip.

Igormus - Today I ran the engine for 10 minutes or so until it had started to get warm (as shown by the temp guage) but had not reached its normal operating temperature (which takes quite a while). I do not know which are the pipes to and from the compressor but, looking in the engine compartment, there were two sets of pipes which appeared to go throught the bulkhead roughly where the golve box is. There are two bare metal tubes one much narrower than the other - neither of these changed temperature. There are two equal sized rubber/insulated tubes - both these appeared to get warmer.

Fitter - I did not notice any change in engine load increase when I pushed the air con button. AS I mentioned above, the engine was not at full operating temperature, however I recall noticing no load increase the other day when the engine was hot.

Big Kev - Thanks for the comments about the engine splash guard. I did enquire about the cost of replacement shortly after it got damaged - they wanted in the region of £140 just for the guard and I can't remember how much to fit it (probably something similar). I am thinking about possibly changing the car, so reluctant to splash out (no pun intended) on non-essentials.

Jamesbelfast - Thanks for the advice. I had already decided to get a new aircon filter but I guess this would be replaced as part of the air con service that I am going to need.

Thanks again. PeterD

• 11 years later...

Hi Peterd_rd,

I sympathise with you for your air conditioning not working.  It would be wise for you to get it professionally checked as you could have a leak.  The most likely cause will be the Air Conditioning Refrigerant Liquid Pipe corroded.  If this is right, you need a new pipe.

I have a 1999 Toyota Avensis 1.8 GLS Petrol Saloon.  Unfortunately the air conditioning is gone.  I am just getting hot air, the same as you.  My Air Conditioning Refrigerant Liquid Pipe is corroded.  I need to get a new pipe.  The problem is I tried three suppliers so far and can't get it.  The Part Number is 88716-05090 and is called:

Air Conditioning Refrigerant Liquid Pipe C

I would be grateful if any of you know of some supplier where I can get this.

The rest of the car is still going well.  I have had this car since 2002 and it is still a lovely car to drive today.  Too good a car for the scrap yard.  It's just unfortunate the air conditioning went during the hottest week of the year.

Kind Regards,

Mary-Ellen

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links