Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0 Vvti Reliability - Opinon/experiences

Surrey Scientist

Considering buying an Avensis estate automatic..

The ones I've seen advertised all seem to come with the 2.0 vvti engine (both late old and new shape)

I wondered what peoples opinions were on the reiability of these engines ?

In my price-range (lower end of the market) most of the cars seem to have done 100,000 + miles.

I am looking at either an end-of-line old shape 2002 or first of new shape 2003 model.

Are these 2.0vvti units good for big mileages, as I would intend to keep the car for a long time.

I have heard of oil-burning being an issue with 1.8 vvtis - are the 2.0 vvtis also affected ?

If so how common is this ?

Does anyone know what the auto-box reliability is like too ?

Are there any other big issues I should be looking for on these cars at this kinda mileage. ??

Seem to se alot of the old and new shape cars as taxis now.... is this a good sign ? WHich engine do they usually go for ??

thanks in advance.

Considering buying an Avensis estate automatic..

The ones I've seen advertised all seem to come with the 2.0 vvti engine (both late old and new shape)

I wondered what peoples opinions were on the reiability of these engines ?

In my price-range (lower end of the market) most of the cars seem to have done 100,000 + miles.

I am looking at either an end-of-line old shape 2002 or first of new shape 2003 model.

Are these 2.0vvti units good for big mileages, as I would intend to keep the car for a long time.

I have heard of oil-burning being an issue with 1.8 vvtis - are the 2.0 vvtis also affected ?

If so how common is this ?

Does anyone know what the auto-box reliability is like too ?

Are there any other big issues I should be looking for on these cars at this kinda mileage. ??

Seem to se alot of the old and new shape cars as taxis now.... is this a good sign ? WHich engine do they usually go for ??

thanks in advance.

I have the 2.0L Auto, I bought it new in 2007 and it has been no trouble. The tiptronic type gearbox (can be manually changed) works very smoothly and requires no attention apart from an occasional fluid level check, it has not required topping up. The engine has not required any oil between services. A friend of mine has a 2004 and his experience matches mine. I had the fuel line recall carried out recently and they did a free check on the car and found it in excellent condition. I can vouch for how my car has been looked after but it is impossible to know how others have been treated.

Fitter

I bought a 2003 2ltr t spirit with a manual box this time last year . I set my sights on an avensis and after researching the subject went for the 2ltr over the 1.8

I like toys too hence choosing the t spirit. The car has been faultless apart from replacing a o2 sensor . Glad I chose petrol over diesel too.

Allyjon - What were the symptoms of the O2 sensor prob ? I've heard this is a prob on quite a few makes of cars.....

Whats the cost of one of these ?

Mine was just engine warning light. Car still ran beautifully but didn't want to risk damaging the cat. Replaced it myself, part cost about 70 quid I think.I bought a code reader from Amazon for 25 which has proven to be a good buy as friends and family have used it and of course it saved me a diagnostic and reset bill.

I have the 2.0 and the reliability is ok. Mine does use a bit of oil though - between 500ml and a litre in 6000 miles, although I do about 80% high speed motorway driving.

I had to replace an O2 sensor, which is a common failure point and there are 4 of them! They cost £140 each from Toyota but are easy to fit with the right tool.

The engine can sound a bit ticky/tappy on idle, which is normal as they are direct injection. But the noise should disappear when you rev it.

The idle speed can go a bit low when the engine is warm, almost to the point of stalling. Cleaning the throttle body should fix it. They're not bad engines in general though, and seem to be more reliable than the diesels and 1.8 petrols.

I have a 55 plate with 60k on the clock. It had 10k when I bought it 3 years ago. Not had any problems with it, burns no oil between services....