Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Best Tank Mpg Yet.

kithmo

Now that's more like it!! :D

60mpg is okay but not something to brag about in a hybrid; Heck, *I* can get that in my non-hybrid Yaris in town without even trying, but 70's? Now that's a good score! :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Ok Cyker.... on Monday 23rd May, my Bro-in-law is driving from Folkestone to Clacketts lane on the M25(S) in his 1.33 6speed Yaris. I am leaving home in Pitsea in the Prius and will meet him there.

From then on, we are both going to the Isle of Wight for a weeks holiday... we already have a 10 quid bet on to see who gets the best MPG's - no doubt we will do slightly different mileages as we both either want or need to do different things whilst we are on the Island, however when we get back to Clackets lane one week later on the 30th, we will compare notes and I will publish the results (and I will be honest too, if he wins then I'll say so! However if I win I will expect you to eat your hat!)

Tone

Now that's more like it!! :D

60mpg is okay but not something to brag about in a hybrid; Heck, *I* can get that in my non-hybrid Yaris in town without even trying, but 70's? Now that's a good score! :thumbsup:

Well I am pleased with 60mpg in my hybrid after 25mpg in my previous similarly sized automatic that I owned before. Not bragging though - just happy :yahoo:

David

@J&T - Didn't you guys do that already? I'm sure I remember you gloating because the Prius totally destroyed the Yaris :lol:

In an urban compo, I can't imagine the 1.33 being able to get close to the Prius (It has pretty a bad urban mpg rating compared to the 1.0 and the D4D :( ) so unless there is a big motorway component it's not really a competition at all! :lol:

But good luck both of you! :thumbsup:

I think 60mpg is fantastic for a petrol engined, automatic, family sized car. I don't know of any other automatic, petrol, diesel, small or large, that comes anywhere near it.

To be fair, 60mpg *is* !Removed! good for purely urban runs, I'm just being a bit facetious :P

For combined tho', I'm sure the HSD can exceed 60mpg without too much more effort!

If it was a petrol car, 60mpg would be incredible indeed which is why I give props to those crazy Aygoers for nearing and exceeding their combined mpg rating! :thumbsup: XD

But the Prius is a *hybrid* - It can do better!

The Prius is rated at 72mpg combined cycle (IIRC) and it has a massive advantage in urban environments over every other engine-type so try and aim for that! I want to see at least 65-68 or no props from me! :P

J&T is doing it so he can give some tips ;) (Although maybe that's a bit unfair since he's some sort of advanced driving instructor IIRC :lol: )

FourFourTwo's 76mpg is excellent; Getting over 75mpg is really hard as little things start to make big differences when you get to that level.

My cancer spewer is rated at something like 55mpg urban and 64mpg combined so I'm quite chuffed that I can get high 50's/low-60's in urban, and even one motorway journey a week gets me up to the low 70's :)

The D4D really comes into its own on long distance journeys tho'; London to Birmingham and back cost me two 'blobs' (Approx 5L each!) and my best ever 'score' so far was doing loads of airport runs and I managed something like 800 miles on one fillup (37-40L IIRC) which is pretty impressive with a fully laden car!

It's very rare to see people get close to the manufacturer's rated mpg, which is usually calculated under some fictional perfect ideal conditions, but the fact that people are deserves some kudos IMHO ;)

And it'll only get better as summer approaches! :yahoo:

(At this point I must express jealousy at you HSD people and your electrically powered A/Cs! :censor: :lol:)

(On a wild tangent, have you guys tried things like V-Power and higher octane fuels in the HSD? Does it make any difference?)

The Prius is rated at 72mpg combined cycle (IIRC) and it has a massive advantage in urban environments over every other engine-type so try and aim for that!

My Prius is a Gen 2 ....

David

@J&T - Didn't you guys do that already? I'm sure I remember you gloating because the Prius totally destroyed the Yaris

In an urban compo, I can't imagine the 1.33 being able to get close to the Prius (It has pretty a bad urban mpg rating compared to the 1.0 and the D4D ) so unless there is a big motorway component it's not really a competition at all!

But good luck both of you!

That was with his old 5speed Yaris, this will be with his new one!

The Prius is rated at 72mpg combined cycle (IIRC) and it has a massive advantage in urban environments over every other engine-type so try and aim for that! I want to see

The gen2 was about 62-65, the Gen3 is 70-72....

Ah! Thanks for the correction :)

For some reason I thought they were all 70-something :lol:

But your BiL has bought a new Yaris already?! What happened to the old one?! Can I look forward to him testing the HSD Yaris for us too when it comes out? :naughty:

Ah! Thanks for the correction :)

For some reason I thought they were all 70-something :lol:

But your BiL has bought a new Yaris already?! What happened to the old one?! Can I look forward to him testing the HSD Yaris for us too when it comes out? :naughty:

Bro-i-law changed just over a week ago, done about 800 miles in it so should be loose enuf when we go away on the 23rd...

As for the hsd Yaris, I suspect I will be looking in that direction when the Prius is due to be changed, by then we will only need/justify 1 car, so t'will have to be between the Aygo and Prius sizewise...

Watch this space :yahoo:

[bro-i-law changed just over a week ago, done about 800 miles in it so should be loose enuf when we go away on the 23rd...

As for the hsd Yaris, I suspect I will be looking in that direction when the Prius is due to be changed, by then we will only need/justify 1 car, so t'will have to be between the Aygo and Prius sizewise...

Watch this space :yahoo:

Yes we are in the same position thinking of reducing the number of cars - at the moment I also have an old Micra my daughter drives when she is back from uni. My wife doesn't like the foot operated "handbrake" on the Prius and I think we could share something smaller like a Yaris and the hybrid version attracts me because I really like an automatic as well as the good fuel economy. I will have to do the sums carefully....

David

Sounds like a perfect compromise :thumbsup:

I'm still wondering how much of a compromise there will be in the boot space, but if they can keep the weight similar to the current Yarisseses, I wouldn't be surprised if it is rated for 80mpg! :yahoo:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok - this is for Cyker....

Our trip to the Isle of Wight....

bro in law lwft Folkestone yesterday at 8.30, we left home at 8.45, with the intention of meeting at Clacket lane services for our hol to the IoW.

At 8.55 we got a phone call from the holiday company to say that there had been a fire at the holiday camp we were bound for and it was going to be closed for 2 weeks! Bugg*r....

So we pulled in to a service station, and discussed the matter with them... Upshot was that we are now in Berkshire at another of the groups establishments...

So, consumptions.....

starting from Lakeside services on the M25' northbound round to the M4 and then to Hungerford, around 120 miles...

Bro-in-laws 1.33 6 speed Yaris 58.6 indicated, my Prius exactly 10mpg more at 68.6...

Some would say that for the extra £13k was it worth it for 10mpg.... A resounding yes from me!

Ok - this is for Cyker....

Our trip to the Isle of Wight....

bro in law lwft Folkestone yesterday at 8.30, we left home at 8.45, with the intention of meeting at Clacket lane services for our hol to the IoW.

At 8.55 we got a phone call from the holiday company to say that there had been a fire at the holiday camp we were bound for and it was going to be closed for 2 weeks! Bugg*r....

So we pulled in to a service station, and discussed the matter with them... Upshot was that we are now in Berkshire at another of the groups establishments...

So, consumptions.....

starting from Lakeside services on the M25' northbound round to the M4 and then to Hungerford, around 120 miles...

Bro-in-laws 1.33 6 speed Yaris 58.6 indicated, my Prius exactly 10mpg more at 68.6...

Some would say that for the extra £13k was it worth it for 10mpg.... A resounding yes from me!

They are both good fuel consumptions.

The £13k gets you much more than more mpg but otherwise I reckon it would take about 800,000 miles at today's prices to break even !

David

A good run by both! Well done! :D :thumbsup:

Oooh but now you've got me wondering how close I can get on this tank... I'm on 480 miles and have 2 blocks left before I need to fuel up! :eek:

I'll have to be extra hyper-miley for these last few litres! :lol:

Oooh but now you've got me wondering how close I can get on this tank... I'm on 480 miles and have 2 blocks left before I need to fuel up! :eek:

I usually have a good 100 miles left at 2 blocks left so you might make it to 600 miles.

• 2 weeks later...

I filled up today and got the best correlation I have ever had between the computed figure and the real one - i.e. 59.9 calculated and 59.2 real.

This is all local mileage and the warm weather has obviously helped a great deal.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links