Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Keep Mpg With Aftermarket Headunit?

anonyx

Looking at purchasing one of these bad boys

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-XAV-72BT-DVD-CD-MP3-USB-Player-Receiver-Bluetooth-/200596986724?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb4831b64#ht_1644wt_1141

p158XAV72BT-F.jpeg

Pretty rude as, amiright? The problem i have, is i've been wanting a car that displays the MPG for years now and i've finally got one, only to go and remove it after a few weeks of ownership.

I'm just wondering if the mpg cables are unused behind headunit and could be reworked to a display or something, anything really?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, feel free to laugh if im being silly.

Regards,

Danny

I never trusted my trip computer very much, giving me silly reading, so it quickly got dumped, and change for my Alpine H/U, never looked back :lol:

But, you can do a general sort of MPG, from a full tank of fuel. Next time you fill up, remember the mileage, then next time you fill up, see how much fuel you put in this time and check mileage again, so you will have reading like this.

Previous mileage (eg) 20,000miles

End mileage (eg) 20,500miles

Amount of fuel filled 45litres

So you covered a distance of 500miles, and fill up with 45litres of fuel.

Ok, convert litres to gallons, so approximately 4.5litres to a gallon, so you now filled up with 10gallons of fuel.

ok, now the maths part: 500(miles) / 10(gallons) = 50 miles per gallon

Thats how you work out an average MPG from a full tank of fuel.

I changed my head unit and also bought a scangauge.

this shows the mpg along with loads of other readings. it plugs into the obd (?) port and ive got it stuck in the little cubby hole between the steering wheel and drivers door, so i can close it up when my car is parked up

just allow the loss of the mpg computer mate, personally never found it useful and always gave me spurious readings. obviously each to their own but losing that thing for 1000000x better sound seems a no-brainer to me :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links