Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Overactive Abs?

Grumpy Cabbie

Been driving my girlfriends IQ (1.0 litre engine) and I'm sure the ABS seems a little overactive. You can be braking gradually to a roundabout and hit the slightest bump and the ABS fires up.

Now I've driven loads and loads of cars and none have been as keen as this IQ. Is it normally like this? Have others found the ABS keen? or is a trip to the dealers in order?

p.s. she has already had the recall done 6 weeks or so ago.

I would go with the trip back to the dealers.

I have driven a pre recall one that behaved in the way that caused them to be recalled,

it was unsafe & unpleasant to drive.

Try taking it out for a test drive,

but before starting off/moving,

hold down the button for more than 3 seconds & switch off totally the ABS & VCS+,

It will possibly feel like a totally different vehicle.

I know this is not how its recommended to drive

& not how a vehicle will be with a ABS system working properly,

its better than a 'faulty ABS system' tho.

george

I have exactly this, whenever you go over a speed bump at 30mph followed by smooth and safe braking, the ABS kicks in unecessarily and lengthens the entire braking period over perfectly flat and smooth ground. It is dangerous, and sometimes I have wondered whether I am actually able to stop in time for the next hazard, be it a parked car or a stopped car.

Mine does this as well over bumps, you dont even need to be braking hard to it to happen.

So this sounds like a problem. Are Toyota aware of this? Is there a fix?

Been driving my girlfriends IQ (1.0 litre engine) and I'm sure the ABS seems a little overactive. You can be braking gradually to a roundabout and hit the slightest bump and the ABS fires up.

Now I've driven loads and loads of cars and none have been as keen as this IQ. Is it normally like this? Have others found the ABS keen? or is a trip to the dealers in order?

p.s. she has already had the recall done 6 weeks or so ago.

I have an iQ3 Auto. Only had the ABS come on once, and that was when someone pulled out on me. Same me crashing into the vehicle. I would get yours checked out.

Perhaps it's an issue on the 1.0 IQ ?

Any other 1litre IQ owners have a similar issue?

Yes..

Got a '09 iQ 1.0 and have noticed the ABS kicking in when going over bumps or the "cobble" style speed bumps...

Recall?

Recall?

Total ??

Mine has gone in today and Ive mentioned it, lets see what happens. Its also having the 10k service done...

Its clearly an issue, always has been with my car. I will never forget going over a speed bump gently at 28 mph and then braking to stop behind a car to allow oncoming traffic to come through, only the ABS kicked in ad the car rattled to a halt with absolutley no need for any of it to have happened in the first place.

Its clearly an issue, always has been with my car. I will never forget going over a speed bump gently at 28 mph and then braking to stop behind a car to allow oncoming traffic to come through, only the ABS kicked in ad the car rattled to a halt with absolutley no need for any of it to have happened in the first place.

28 MPH over speed bumps sounds quite fast to me. You must be nearly taking off in the iQ at that speed. It must be only be the 1.0 L model that as this problem, as my 1.3 iQ3 is fine. Is it the iQ1, iQ2 or both that has this problem? Has any iQ3 owners had an issue?

RE Overactive ABS.

Sorry i wrongly made it sound in a previous post, like i had experienced 'overactive ABS' in the past.

i did not mean ABS really,

because i was not touching the brakes,

or braking which could/gives a feeling of ABS that you can get on any vehicle.(pulsing of the brake pedal)

Also not EBD 'Electric Brake Force Distribution'.

(well it shouldnt be that, but who knows it could be if you were using the brakes)

There is also,

'Brake Assist' (BA)

Toyota says,

"BA automatically supports emergency braking if the brakes are applied quickly but without sufficiant pressure on the pedal.

It does this by measuring how fast and how hard ............... etc etc

*Its Overactive 'Vehicle Stability Control+' (VSC+) that i have experienced i believe.*

Brakes coming just slightly on when they certainly should not coming on.

or just

VSC+ activating when its not required, just because of a bumpy road,

& at low speeds, & when not cornering or braking.

Toyota say,

"VSC+ prevents loss of car control in certain situations for example when entering a bend to fast and encountering slippery conditions that could cause a skid.

Sensors around the car monitor wheel rotation, brake pressure and car movement.

If the system calculates the driver is about to lose control of the car,

various stability and safety systems are applied to an appropriate degree.

in a skid for example, it will apply a suitable level of braking and adjust steering torque to help the driver regain control.

*Basically the whole shooting match seems to get confused by some rough road surfaces some of the time on some cars.*

I dont experience any of it on my 2011 'multidrive',

because i switch off what i can before starting every trip.

george

Well the car came back from the service and apparently needs the steering recall and the parts were out of stock...so once thats done hopefully it might cure this....

@Dizee I would have thought that with you being a professional driver (stated in the slipstreaming convo)that you wouldnt have had any driving aids on at all, as the VSC is way too over active when making progress for starters... ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Well the car came back from the service and apparently needs the steering recall and the parts were out of stock...so once thats done hopefully it might cure this....

@Dizee I would have thought that with you being a professional driver (stated in the slipstreaming convo)that you wouldnt have had any driving aids on at all, as the VSC is way too over active when making progress for starters... ;-)

I am not aware that you can turn the traction off, if it is the button by the gearstick then that is useless, as it turns it of when it feels like it not when you press the button, and only for 30 seconds. In any case I am not doing the sort of driving in the IQ that I would at work so it doesn't really matter what driver aids are on or off, its just to get me from A to B.

If you did just want to try how it feels,

which is usually un-noticeable except on back roads or starting off on ice/snow where it can be overactive,

(i find it can be more unsafe on, on roads with wet leaves & stuff,

but i suppose its meant to improve safety.)

press the button for more than 3 seconds when stopped,

one of the symbol lights then the other will stay on & disable the system untill the next time you switch the ignition off.

george

I am not aware that you can turn the traction off, if it is the button by the gearstick then that is useless, as it turns it of when it feels like it not when you press the button, and only for 30 seconds. In any case I am not doing the sort of driving in the IQ that I would at work so it doesn't really matter what driver aids are on or off, its just to get me from A to B.

Yeah but if your slipstreaming lorries and you get the ABS problem as stated your going to end up as bantha fodder when it fails to haul you up, at least this way you can cadence brake with your pro skills if needed/required... :-)

Yeah but if your slipstreaming lorries and you get the ABS problem as stated your going to end up as bantha fodder when it fails to haul you up, at least this way you can cadence brake with your pro skills if needed/required... :-)

The road surface on a motorway would never create the ABS reaction we speak of, this only happens when negotiating speed humps at certain speeds. Funny post though :)

The road surface on a motorway would never create the ABS reaction we speak of, this only happens when negotiating speed humps at certain speeds. Funny post though :)

Strange you say that, on alot of the dual carriageways and some motorways round here I have seen the same surface that would cause the ABS to trigger unnecessarily, specially if your slipstreaming and have to anchor up. But hey ho the roads in Surrey are probably better than the one I drive on in Herts, I know Hemel is more like Beruit these days. Its not just speed ramps for me that cause the problem any pitted,potholed or uneven surface.

I also think that the ABS is overreactive.

It seems to trigger as soon as there is a slight change in the road while you are braking (bump, sudden inclination change, ...).

It feels uncomfortable.

I asked Toyota about it on the first service, and they said it was normal because the vehicle is short (??).

Whatever they say, it has always been a problem for me. I am anxious thinking about the time when I'll try to sell the car, the person trying it might think there is an issue because of this.

A car or vehicle that is short will have the systems designed to go with a 'short car',

so thats 'Dealer/salesman/waffle',

the sort of stuff Tony b Liar would of have you believe..

Short vehicles like Suzuki Jimny's might have choppy rides because of the design & dual use,

but the brake system/abs doesnt go funny on rough road surfaces.

If you have a problem

or think there is a problem with something as important as your braking system,

dont just post about it.

Put it in writing to your Dealer

& Toyota, also send by Email to both, & get things checked properly & fixed if it needs fixing.

Also an Email to the BBC 'Watchdog' programme for the next series should get action taken,

thats if people find there is a 'proven problem' not being taken seriously.

This is not exactly for the iQ, but it is Toyota relevant on ABS, & how it works, or should.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/brake09.pdf

http://www.toyota.com/au/glossary

george

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links