Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Check Out My Egr Valve

bluevortex

I find that another £3-4 on a top up is niether here nor there in the scheme of things - I paid over £80 for the last top up :censor:

I do find the engine quieter and I am happy believing my EGR (very similar design to the RAV) and injectors etc are hopefully much cleaner. Time will tell.

One of My Neighbours works at Grangemouth and He assures Me that all the tankers are filled with the same diesel.. Regular stuff that is.. The higher performance stuff has additives put into it by whoever markets it or rather their petrochemists.. Petrol is quite a different thing altogether as its the octane level that is increased and a true level of performance is more clearly evident than in Diesel fuel where I believe the placebo effect kicks in !

Whatever You pays Your money and takes Yer chance.....

Five will get ye ten Charlie....try two separate runs wiff the mates and their kinky rubber suits and the jetski (Russian jet...?) in tow both with / without the likes of Shell V-Power. Ah bet ye feel the difference....that's when the extra few quid per tank clicks in, when it's fully laden IMHO.

Convinced Kev :toast:

I work for a large bus company and all our fuel is treated at our depot with the blu stuff. Im told its just like sheeps pee. Also when I use supermarket fuel I get a lot more pinking from the csr than when I use Shell or BP etc.I cleaned out my EGR a few months ago after about 6k miles and it was pretty dam clean. Nowt like yours Kev.

One of My Neighbours works at Grangemouth and He assures Me that all the tankers are filled with the same diesel.. Regular stuff that is.. The higher performance stuff has additives put into it by whoever markets it or rather their petrochemists.. Petrol is quite a different thing altogether as its the octane level that is increased and a true level of performance is more clearly evident than in Diesel fuel where I believe the placebo effect kicks in !

But that is different to what you claimed on page 1 where you simply said there was NO difference at all.

The likes of Shell/BP/Texaco couldn't claim to have additives in to improve the fuel, and not add any as there are too many tests in place to check for them.

Checking fuel for additives is not difficult, i spent 7 years doing it for the RAF to ensure the Avtur had sufficient quantities of FSII so the fuel doesn't freeze at low temps or high altitude.

If one of these big names claimed to have something that wasn't actually there, they would have massive law suits against them and lose any credibility they have.

Look again I said REGULAR DIESEL IS ALL THE SAME ........

Kev I used to race bikes and an engine that I had built for a Yamaha R1 had a 14.5 to 1 compression ratio and had to run on avgas or super-unleaded backed up with Putoline Octane booster.. I am totally aware what higher octane or the Vpower and the like does to the relative performance of a Petrol engine... But a diesel works and burns its fuel in a different way. Yes I agree that the very best fuels will be better but is it worth the extra ???

My previous statement that all the REGULAR diesels are from the same tank stands. My Neighbour laughed when I told Him the content of this thread and said He sees the tankers getting filled all day every day ....

Picture044.jpg

Picture021.jpg

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b95/bonydal/?action=view&current=Picture044.jpg

Picture022.jpg

I always see a BP tanker refueling the Sainsburys near me. I belive its all the same stuff but aditives are added to the premium stuff, like V-power and BP Ultimate.

I never really noticed any difference in preformance or fuel economy using the high grade stuff, and thats both petrol and diesel.

I now just stick the cheapest in and so far no problems, Sainsburys is the cheapest for me.

But that is different to what you claimed on page 1 where you simply said there was NO difference at all.

The likes of Shell/BP/Texaco couldn't claim to have additives in to improve the fuel, and not add any as there are too many tests in place to check for them.

Checking fuel for additives is not difficult, i spent 7 years doing it for the RAF to ensure the Avtur had sufficient quantities of FSII so the fuel doesn't freeze at low temps or high altitude.

If one of these big names claimed to have something that wasn't actually there, they would have massive law suits against them and lose any credibility they have.

Look again I said REGULAR DIESEL IS ALL THE SAME ........

Well, you are still wrong.

And you say that OCTANE levels make all the difference in petrol, but you fail to recognise CETANE levels in diesel, which do the same thing!

Sorry mate, but the fuel may come from the same hole in the ground, but its the treatment it receives between refining and reaching your fuel tank that makes all the difference.

I always see a BP tanker refueling the Sainsburys near me. I belive its all the same stuff but aditives are added to the premium stuff, like V-power and BP Ultimate.

I never really noticed any difference in preformance or fuel economy using the high grade stuff, and thats both petrol and diesel.

I now just stick the cheapest in and so far no problems, Sainsburys is the cheapest for me.

Do Sainsburys have a fleet of tankers for Unleaded/super unleaded and diesel?

Probably not, but BP/Shell/Texaco will have, and i expect they charge Sainsburys a nice sum for delivery too.

Also, if the customer beleives that they are getting the exact same fuel as BP, but cheaper than BP, the customer is happy and thinks they have got a bargain... and thats good for the supermarket, but how likely is that in the real world? BP aren't going to sell the exact same fuel to a supermarket to make a loss on profit, are they!

They will sell of the lower quality fuel that they don't want, and thats why its cheaper!

Frankly this is getting boring now so I will say My last comment and move on as it seems some are drifting into the technicalities to baffle Us with science ..

All of the REGULAR diesel fuels come from the same source and is the same !!!

In the words of My neighbour who has worked at Grangemouth refinery for 35 Years..

Quote : Its all the !Removed! same stuff. If people want to believe that the REGULAR diesel is at Asda anything different to the REGULAR diesel at BP or Shell and are prepared to pay extra for it then more fool them !!!!

This DOES NOT apply to the higher performance Diesels that cost a lot moe money per litre...

http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/gbr/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/fuelsave/unleaded/

http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/gbr/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/fuelsave/diesel/

If this is untrue, then please ask your neighbour to provide the facts so we can all take Shell to court.

For the record, Shell fuel save IS the Regular fuel at all Shell forecourts. It is NOT a premuim fuel, but then you already know this.

For the record, i think that if you are going to buy a car with a decent engine and the highest power available in the range, then its a waste of time filling it with the cheapest fuel and expecting it to perform at its best.

I can understand chucking cheap fuel into a 10 yr old 1.2 engine, but a new high pressure high output engine should be run on decent fuel, or it's a false economy paying for the better spec in the first place.

http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/gbr/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/fuelsave/unleaded/

http://www.shell.co.uk/home/content/gbr/products_services/on_the_road/fuels/fuelsave/diesel/

If this is untrue, then please ask your neighbour to provide the facts so we can all take Shell to court.

For the record, shell fuel save IS the Regular fuel at all Shell forecourts. It is NOT a premuim fuel, but then you already know this.

For the record, i think that if you are going to buy a car with a decent engine and the highest power available in the range, then its a waste of time filling it with the cheapest fuel and expecting it to perform at its best.

I can understand chucking cheap fuel into a 10 yr old 1.2 engine, but a new high pressure high output engine should be run on decent fuel, or it's a false economy paying for the better spec in the first place.

For me personally, the last 4 lines of DotM's posting sums it up perfectly....the T180/SR180 engines are what they are....relatively "thoroughbred" in comparison to their peers of some 148bhp (but we won't start the "is that at the wheels or the flywheel and it's torque that counts" mince....). If ye buy a pedigree greyhound, ye don't feed it pies before a race....have ah stayed "on thread" or wandered again.....?

Big Kev :thumbsup::lol:

• Like 1

I don't know the technicalities or science on the fuels, but I am of the firm belief the regular stuff is all the same. Is it not a possibility that the big companies have to sell the same fuel and perhaps even end up with supermarkets flogging it cheaper due to competition laws, isn't the slight mark up and variance down to overheads?

I don't notice the difference on the regular stuff though, but that is just opinion, I have no technical evidence to back me up.

I did notice the difference with the V power and that is worth extra because it does go further.

Mmmm, pies :drool:

I am reserving comment on all this until I can find some evidence of what is what. If anyone finds some documentation please post it.

What I will say is that my latest batch of screenwash is much more effective than the last :spiteful:

• Like 1

I got some cracking screenwash this winter, went down to -15 no problem :)

I made a special trip to Shell station in Inverness today and filled up £70 with the low sulphur diesel (but not the V/power couldn't see it?) the car did seem quitter and mire responsive but this could be down to cleaning the EGR and not the fuel? I noted two M3 BMW's, a jaguar XF and a Honda S2000 all there so I assume alot of people do buy into the better quality fuel!

Purchased some BG244 today should be with me by Friday!!

Blue

On my last tank full of Sainsbury regular diesel, I farted into the filler hole just for good measure. And my MPG has improved dramatically. :thumbsup:

That’s my own proven additive :toast:

I made a special trip to Shell station in Inverness today and filled up £70 with the low sulphur diesel (but not the V/power couldn't see it?) the car did seem quitter and mire responsive but this could be down to cleaning the EGR and not the fuel? I noted two M3 BMW's, a jaguar XF and a Honda S2000 all there so I assume alot of people do buy into the better quality fuel!

Blue

Back on topic. Any chance of a detailed guide on how exactly to do the EGR clean ???? Thanks..

Charlie.

There's one already pinned in how to section above... That's what I followed!

Blue

Going by the cars you've just listed at yer garage, Blue, methinks you just interrupted a meeting of the local drugs barons. :yahoo:

Anyway, it has come to my notice even down here in The Smoke that not all Shell outlets have the V-Power pumps....dunno why for because....maybe just awaiting refit of pumps, as many seem to be getting? Will await YOUR FURTHER FEEDBACK AFTER USING WHAT IS DEEMED TO BE BETTER DIESEL.....

bIG kEV :thumbsup:

There's one already pinned in how to section above... That's what I followed!

Thanks Blue. I've just had a good read through and will be doing My one in the next couple of days....

Charlie....

Local drug barons meeting at 07:45 this morning all buying their quality fuel lol. I might have been better going to BP and trying their super fuel (whatever it's called)... Roll on BG244

The valve is blocking because of excesive oil consumption .. caused by the piston rings not being up to the job. Cleaning the valve is just a symptom of a faulty engine. Take it to Toyota and they will fix the problem with new pistons and a new block.

The valve is blocking because of excesive oil consumption .. caused by the piston rings not being up to the job. Cleaning the valve is just a symptom of a faulty engine. Take it to Toyota and they will fix the problem with new pistons and a new block.

There must be one hell of a lot of other manufacturers with faulty engines then. Just search 'Clogged EGR'............. :unsure:

There must be one hell of a lot of other manufacturers with faulty engines then. Just search 'Clogged EGR'............. :unsure:

Belive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are all suffering!!!!!!!!!

I wonder why???????????

Supermarkets will buy any fuel from any supplier to make the most profit. Think of it this way, they sell baked beans, their own branded beans, cheap with runny tomato sauce, then a middle of the road brand, then they also sell Heinz baked beans, top notch, thick tomato sauce and no dodgy discoloured beans in the can

They want the basic fuel, with less additives, to sell cheaper and more importantly, to make as much profit as possible. They also take premium fuels that will have all the additives it needs. They will buy it for the best price, just like you and me when shopping for any other commodity

Kingo :thumbsup:

Well mines been run on cheapo sainsburys runny crud for a while and when I checked my EGR (dont know when it was last cleaned as I stay away from dealerships)must be going on for 40k miles and thats if it has actually been cleaned before??? and it was very clean indeed, sainsburys must be doing something right.

I was quite disapointed at how clean it actually was........... :crybaby:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links