Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Check Out My Egr Valve

bluevortex

Guys not sure what happens after the warranty period has expired and We go into the extended warranty BUT its reasonably fair to assume they will want / demand similar ?? I think We can safely expect that doing the servicing Yourself just wont do !! Which is a shame as I prefer to do the job Myself as well..

My advice would be to anyone who has or is going to do their own servicing is only to do so if You can get someone to stamp the book for You ??? Anyone struggling with this PM Me and I will see what I can do ................

Charlie.

Ah couldnae be bothered reading too far back, coz life's too short, but could not find anybody, including myself, who advocated doing own maintenance and expected Toyota to honour warranties. Anybody that I trusted to do my maintenance would certainly have to be large enough to be registered for VAT, otherwise he would be deemed by me to be too small to invest in the equipment I would expect him to have to earn the aforementioned trust. He would also be told by me to buy and show receipts for all OEM parts that are mandatory to comply with warranty, even after the mandatory 3 years (now 5 of course....that will be fun....)

As far as the panic there seems to be arising from all this, Toyota have said they will fix my car if it breaks under these circumstances.....not like me, but I am happy with that.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Just found this in my archives I belive posted up by Anchorman a while back, So this problem is not new.

Now thats an interesting read. Many thanks for finding it and posting it up for all us to take a look at. :thumbsup:

Guys not sure what happens after the warranty period has expired and We go into the extended warranty BUT its reasonably fair to assume they will want / demand similar ?? I think We can safely expect that doing the servicing Yourself just wont do !! Which is a shame as I prefer to do the job Myself as well..

My advice would be to anyone who has or is going to do their own servicing is only to do so if You can get someone to stamp the book for You ??? Anyone struggling with this PM Me and I will see what I can do ................

Charlie.

Ah couldnae be bothered reading too far back, coz life's too short, but could not find anybody, including myself, who advocated doing own maintenance and expected Toyota to honour warranties. Anybody that I trusted to do my maintenance would certainly have to be large enough to be registered for VAT, otherwise he would be deemed by me to be too small to invest in the equipment I would expect him to have to earn the aforementioned trust. He would also be told by me to buy and show receipts for all OEM parts that are mandatory to comply with warranty, even after the mandatory 3 years (now 5 of course....that will be fun....)

As far as the panic there seems to be arising from all this, Toyota have said they will fix my car if it breaks under these circumstances.....not like me, but I am happy with that.

Big Kev :thumbsup:

Nicely put Kev and likely the most sensible post on this thread !! One things for sure though I wont be keeping this car once taht extended warranty runs out if that long !!!

• Like 1

What is all this mass hysteria? A blocked EGR does not indicate a knackered engine for goodness sake. While an engine that uses oil is more likely to have EGR problems, using poor fuel can have the same effect.

Stop worrying. If you want to use the best products for your cars, do what you do with cleaning products and use good quality fuel and oil. Ditch the additives, they are already in.

Now about this 5W30 oil. The W stands for winter. The oil when measured at low temp will run a set distance down a tilted table but the molecular structure changes at high temp and will run a different distance at high temp - the higher summer rating. It gives the oil low enough viscosity to get round the engine at low temp and stiffens it up when at working temp. Oil with a wider range will still go through 30 on the way up. All the development work for the engine including cranking and circulation specs call for 5W30 as the optimum and of course there is a range but it won't make a difference to how it passes oil. I bought some of the 0W40 fully synthetic oil that was on offer at bargainbuys. I expect more problems with consumption due to the fact it fully synthetic rather than the viscosity.

Exactly, a blocked egr is not a knackared engines, its blocking up the egr due to oil burn toyota say, theyve issues modified pistons which get fitted in the rebuild along with a new egr valve, weather this fix's the problem i dont know as its only just came out a month ago, as for oil, doesnt matter if its semi or full or mineral, aslong as the grade is 5w-30 it will be fine, nearly all dealers of every kind use semi-synthetic instead of fill mineral because its cheaper, as for servicing i dont think it has to be done at toyota dealers, as long as its stamped saying it has been serviced, if the book hadnt been stamped and the car has done 60,000 miles then whoes to say the oil has never been changed????? hope this helps everyone. I try to find out and answer any problems i can!

Super fuels best? Think again

Superfuels ‘a waste of money’, says What Car?

Motorists thinking of filling their cars with expensive ‘superfuels’, tempted by claims of improved fuel economy, are likely to be disappointed, according to a new report from What Car?

In the motoring magazine’s tests, high-octane premium fuels – including BP Ultimate, Esso Supreme, Tesco Momentum and Total Excellium – performed little or no better than their cheaper equivalents, despite costing around 5% more per litre.

“Our tests show that premium fuels are an unnecessary expense with no major fuel economy benefit,” said What Car? editor-in-chief, Steve Fowler. “Changing your driving style is more likely to get more miles from every gallon and is considerably more cost-effective.”

The top-performing fuel in the tests was Tesco Momentum 99 RON, which delivered 2% more mpg than its standard 95-octane fuel, although that still wasn’t enough to offset the extra 3.7% it costs.

Kingo :thumbsup:

Motorists thinking of filling their cars with expensive ‘superfuels’, tempted by claims of improved fuel economy, are likely to be disappointed, according to a new report from What Car?

In the motoring magazine’s tests, high-octane premium fuels – including BP Ultimate, Esso Supreme, Tesco Momentum and Total Excellium – performed little or no better than their cheaper equivalents, despite costing around 5% more per litre.

“Our tests show that premium fuels are an unnecessary expense with no major fuel economy benefit,” said What Car? editor-in-chief, Steve Fowler. “Changing your driving style is more likely to get more miles from every gallon and is considerably more cost-effective.”

The top-performing fuel in the tests was Tesco Momentum 99 RON, which delivered 2% more mpg than its standard 95-octane fuel, although that still wasn’t enough to offset the extra 3.7% it costs.

Only talks about fuel economy benefit though - doesn't consider other potential benefits such as cleaner engine/combustion, smoother running etc :thumbsup:

• Like 1

True enough! Poor old Total got a hammering :thumbsup:

Only talks about fuel economy benefit though - doesn't consider other potential benefits such as cleaner engine/combustion, smoother running etc :thumbsup:

Cor blimey Mate do You want it set in stone ?? All those claims are unfounded !! Its all hype given out in the hope that some one will believe it and pay for it !!

I cannot recall how many times the subject of fuel additives has come up and it seems that is just another bucket full of sh!te as well......

If that's You bag go for it but its just good coin wasted IMHO.....

All those claims are unfounded !! Its all hype given out in the hope that some one will believe it and pay for it !!

Hype n sh1te! :lol: i thought it was called marketing?

All those claims are unfounded !! Its all hype given out in the hope that some one will believe it and pay for it !!

Hype n sh1te! :lol: i thought it was called marketing?

Ha Ha same thing different words......

So the big question for Me ... I've asked this before but it seems to have been overlooked..???

Do I remove the EGR as I was going to do and give it a good clean as preventative medicine to make sure the car is not using to much fuel and to ensure the best running for My engine ????

Or

Do I leave the ******* alone ???

At the moment the car is running just fine but as this My first Rav4 I probably wouldn't know if it was running poorly...

Charlie.

So the big question for Me ... I've asked this before but it seems to have been overlooked..???

Do I remove the EGR as I was going to do and give it a good clean as preventative medicine to make sure the car is not using to much fuel and to ensure the best running for My engine ????

Or

Do I leave the ******* alone ???

At the moment the car is running just fine but as this My first Rav4 I probably wouldn't know if it was running poorly...

Charlie.

I guess the 'If it ain't broke..........' principle applies. If it's pulling well, returning MPG in line with manufacturers stated figures, starts easily etc., just leave it alone. The extended warranty is in place should you need to call on it.

I'm not at all convinced that TGB will replace or rebuild an engine on the strength of a blocked EGR unless they've had a winfall since the sticky pedal thing. It would be financial suicide. It can only be used as an indicator backed up by an oil consumption test and all the TSBs I've seen demand at least a litre of oil per 1000 miles.

CF, I hang on your every word when it comes to detailing but I cannot accept that all fuels are the same - please find it somewhere in writing for me. If you have some time on your hands and you want to clean that valve I think you can safely go ahead without any implications to your warranty. If it sticks and shows a 0400 fault code they will change it regardless of how clean it is internally.

Our Kingo, like Dave I am quite happy to know my engine isn't being choked up for the extra money. I do believe that there is a mileage benefit based upon my own experiments but only enough to balance the extra cost and no more. I just feel I'm adding an approved additive at the time of fill up. Recently, a highly esteemed engineer who visits these pages conducted a test on this fuel additive (244 or whatever) and he concluded that there was no difference. This is a clever guy who is used to doing very controlled testing and for the moment I am satisfied with his comments. I come from a background of vehicle testing and like most manufacturers prefer to see hard test results rather than subjective impressions. The mind is a powerful weapon as far as that is concerned and quite good at telling you just what you want to hear whether it is to do with your health or just how well your car is going.

With regard to servicing, if you look in your service book, near the beginning you will find a statement that says (along the lines of) no matter who services the car then Toyota will underwrite the warranty as long as it is done in line with the schedule. There is no requirement to use genuine parts (there cannot legally be) but it might help by doing so to prove that the parts were of a recognised good quality. These are anti-competitive laws under some legislation called European Block Exemption. It prohibits manufacturers from forcing customers using their own workshops for servicing and from renaging on any warranty issues as a result of doing so. I have studied Block Exemption and I cannot find any reference that states that the book must be stamped by a VAT registered garage as being VAT registered is a measure of financial and legal requirements and not their ability to satisfactorily maintain the car.

The moral of this story is that as long as you have all your ducks in a row - reciepts for parts, dates, mileages etc you can do what you like and still turn to Toyota for warranty issues. Where you might struggle is with "policy warranty claims" i.e. a repair outside of the warranty period as they can be at the discretion of TGB. However, I believe that even under these conditions that a test of reasonableness will apply and if it is deemed that the issue questions merchantable qulity or fitness for purpose then they may well honour a claim.

• Like 1

I'm not at all convinced that TGB will replace or rebuild an engine on the strength of a blocked EGR unless they've had a winfall since the sticky pedal thing. It would be financial suicide. It can only be used as an indicator backed up by an oil consumption test and all the TSBs I've seen demand at least a litre of oil per 1000 miles.

CF, I hang on your every word when it comes to detailing but I cannot accept that all fuels are the same - please find it somewhere in writing for me. If you have some time on your hands and you want to clean that valve I think you can safely go ahead without any implications to your warranty. If it sticks and shows a 0400 fault code they will change it regardless of how clean it is internally.

Our Kingo, like Dave I am quite happy to know my engine isn't being choked up for the extra money. I do believe that there is a mileage benefit based upon my own experiments but only enough to balance the extra cost and no more. I just feel I'm adding an approved additive at the time of fill up. Recently, a highly esteemed engineer who visits these pages conducted a test on this fuel additive (244 or whatever) and he concluded that there was no difference. This is a clever guy who is used to doing very controlled testing and for the moment I am satisfied with his comments. I come from a background of vehicle testing and like most manufacturers prefer to see hard test results rather than subjective impressions. The mind is a powerful weapon as far as that is concerned and quite good at telling you just what you want to hear whether it is to do with your health or just how well your car is going.

With regard to servicing, if you look in your service book, near the beginning you will find a statement that says (along the lines of) no matter who services the car then Toyota will underwrite the warranty as long as it is done in line with the schedule. There is no requirement to use genuine parts (there cannot legally be) but it might help by doing so to prove that the parts were of a recognised good quality. These are anti-competitive laws under some legislation called European Block Exemption. It prohibits manufacturers from forcing customers using their own workshops for servicing and from renaging on any warranty issues as a result of doing so. I have studied Block Exemption and I cannot find any reference that states that the book must be stamped by a VAT registered garage as being VAT registered is a measure of financial and legal requirements and not their ability to satisfactorily maintain the car.

The moral of this story is that as long as you have all your ducks in a row - reciepts for parts, dates, mileages etc you can do what you like and still turn to Toyota for warranty issues. Where you might struggle is with "policy warranty claims" i.e. a repair outside of the warranty period as they can be at the discretion of TGB. However, I believe that even under these conditions that a test of reasonableness will apply and if it is deemed that the issue questions merchantable qulity or fitness for purpose then they may well honour a claim.

By far and away the most sensible post on this thread.

If a blocked EGR means a new engine, then I'll chuck some cheap crap in the tank and get an engine rebuild at every service interval. I'd be a fool not to from what I've read.

Somehow I find it unlikely that it would be honoured.

• Like 1

I agree that using Shell V-Power derv must have a sound benefit. The extra protection you get from having double the additive package compared to a "Standard" diesel must be of benifit to the engine/fuel pump/injectors ect. When I cleaned my EGR valve out it was nothing like the black crud that was pictured in some of the threads found on here. It was like a thin black layer of soft velvet that just came off with ease.

I remember a few years ago when WHICH did a similar test/report on "Premium" fuels they found that it gave something like a 6.7% increase in enconomy over the "Standard" version! I think that a lot of it comes down to driving styles at the end of the day. As a driving instructor I have to teach learners to drive as economically as possible within the road weather and traffic conditions. This all helps to reduce emissions, saves on tyre/brake wear and makes people safer drivers.

I will continue to use Shell V-Power untill someone can demonstrate that I'm waisting my money and not giving my engine (And the environment) the maximum protection I can.

As to the question about fuel additives such as BG244/Millers/Forte all I can say is that I've found the engine to run smoother and quieter especially with BG244. So I'm happy to keep using it...

• Like 1

I am not sure whether this applies to cars, never been down the line with cars, but a change to the good and services act in the form of an EU directive in 2002 clearly states you have up to 6 years to claim. After 6 months the onus is on you to prove a part etc was not of satisfactory quality or a manufacturers fault, but if you can they would have to repair or replace.

So if you car if fairly new, not many miles or something and then catastrophe, then I suppose you could fall back on this should you be out of a warranty period.

What is all this mass hysteria? A blocked EGR does not indicate a knackered engine for goodness sake. While an engine that uses oil is more likely to have EGR problems, using poor fuel can have the same effect.

Stop worrying.

If you experience pain it is your body telling your brain there is a problem, you take paracetemol to ease the pain but it does not treat the initial problem :yes:

If your EGR is blocking up every 10,000 mls and your ECU (brain) goes in to limp mode you clean out the EGR and it eases the problem, but it is not treating the initial problem of what is causing your EGR to block up in the first place :yes:

"stop worrying" says Anchs, who has swapped his virtually new Rav, for a brand new Kia with a 7yr warranty :lol::lol::lol:

• Like 1

But if an EGR valve blocks but your engine hasn't used a drop of oil, then where is the underlying problem?

The egr is designed to recirculate exhaust gases, so why wouldn't you expect to see carbon build up in there?

If your car IS using oil more than it should, and you suffer the lack of power from a blocked EGR, then you could argue that there could be an issue somewhere.

If every diesel engined car was having an engine rebuild over an issue as minor as this ( which I still believe can be prevented by using decent fuel) then the press would be all over it and car manufacturers would stop making them due to massive losses.

• Like 1

What is all this mass hysteria?

Ah well, you leave this lot to their own devices for a while and they just go off the rails! :rolleyes: :D.

The XXXX UK website has some more information on these products:

Dav, I tried to find that particular website, but it didn't seem to be anything to do with fuel :unsure: What I did find, did seem to boost my "cetane" ;) though. :D.

I'm not at all convinced that TGB will replace or rebuild an engine on the strength of a blocked EGR unless they've had a winfall since the sticky pedal thing

Perversely they may well have had a windfall.;). A lot of VMs are secretly rolling in cash at the moment, after being forced to cut a lot of their overheads a while back. Same for the component suppliers, some of who are now turning in record profits. So the VMs are throwing cash at the suppliers in the form of development contracts left right and centre and having reduced their workforce previously, the suppliers may not have the staff to cope. It's "interesting times". :rolleyes:

I do believe that there is a mileage benefit based upon my own experiments but only enough to balance the extra cost and no more.

My data shows there is no real mpg difference for me, but I chuck the stuff in 'cause for my own gratification, I like the slight improvement in engine smoothness,

I just feel I'm adding an approved additive at the time of fill up. Recently, a highly esteemed engineer who visits these pages conducted a test on this fuel additive (244 or whatever) and he concluded that there was no difference. This is a clever guy who is used to doing very controlled testing and for the moment I am satisfied with his comments.

Who the **** is that then? :unsure: What I did would have been fairly subjective too, there's just too many variables when driving on public roads.......but my vehicle usage pattern doesn't change a great deal and there was no improvement in economy. Maybe a bit smoother/quieter, but more likely a placebo. For me, BG(244) = Big Gimmick, but each to his own. :thumbsup:

(To get any meaningful data out of adding the stuff in normal driving situations, you'd probably have to do a whole matrix of experiments. There are then statistical methods which can help to pin down, what, if anything, is causing peformance changes. To be honest, life is too short.......)

....I have studied Block Exemption and I cannot find any reference that states that the book must be stamped by a VAT registered garage as being VAT registered is a measure of financial and legal requirements and not their ability to satisfactorily maintain the car.

The phrase used is something like "Independent Repairer". The 2002 vehicle specific exemption expired in 2010, but there is a three year change over period, to something that applies the general EU anti-competitive legislation to the automotive sector, to a greater degree.

If you want to work out whether that really affects anything........:

http://ec.europa.eu/competition/sectors/motor_vehicles/legislation/legislation.html

Enjoy!

On my last car I had issues with cold starts and white smoke.

BG244 improved the cold start and the white smoke vanished. That cannot be attributed to the placebo effect as it was a physical change that could be witnessed by anyone.

The car did run better and I suppose that could have been a placebo effect, but as it removed 2 physical issues, I think its unfounded to claim that I imagined the rest.

I don't even know what the placebo effect is (just looked it up) but I was thinking last night how interesting this little debate has come. Its a pity we're all not round a table in a pub just a little bit sozzled. That how you get a REAL debate going!!! :thumbsup::cheers::boxing:

• Like 1

I think Toyota were sozzled when they decided to replace an engine due to a blocked EGR.

Its been said before though, other manufacturers are having the same problem with egr valves. I know I did on my Vectra and my mate did on his Focus. I was back and forth to the garage for months and all I got was "we have cleaned your egr valve again". Eventually they replaced the EGR and it was only about 6 months before my car had to go back in for the same hesitation and lack of power due to the EGR being clogged

• Like 1

But if an EGR valve blocks but your engine hasn't used a drop of oil, then where is the underlying problem?

The egr is designed to recirculate exhaust gases, so why wouldn't you expect to see carbon build up in there?

If your car IS using oil more than it should, and you suffer the lack of power from a blocked EGR, then you could argue that there could be an issue somewhere.

If every diesel engined car was having an engine rebuild over an issue as minor as this ( which I still believe can be prevented by using decent fuel) then the press would be all over it and car manufacturers would stop making them due to massive losses.

That would be a question best answered by Toyota, which Liams bulletin suggests they are trying to rectify, but at least they are admitting to an underlying problem.. :yes:

IMO you def would, but not at the mileages we are experiencing, If toyota had expected your EGR to clog up every 10,000 to 20,000mls then cleaning it would be part of the 20,000 service schedule, the fact that it isn't clearly demonstrates that your EGR valve is do'ing something unexpected, (ie a fault) :yes:

Good point which IMO goes to show that every car manufacturer is NOT having these problems, EGRs are causing problems on most cars, cleaning it every 50/100.000 is a minor problem, owners do'ing it themselves every 10.000 mls some on here even less IMO is not a minor problem..

Just to wind up, I am not technically minded and Anchs + most others on here have forgotten more than i will ever know, but every day of my life i am surrounded by 1000 diesel vehicles with engines ranging thru Ford, Nissan, Toyota, Chrysler VM, and years ago Rover, BMC etc and also versions of all of the above, and if anyone has a problem we all know about it, the only one of the above vehicles that had regular EGR problems was the Ford 2.4 duratorque, but again this was mostly around 50,000 mls not 10,000mls, also I can guarantee that 99% of those vehicles which average 50.000 mls a year have never been run on Super diesel (V Power etc) we simply cannot afford it.. All of the above just the opinion of a Thick cab driver with no mechanical knowledge :unsure: Stew

That would be a question best answered by Toyota, which Liams bulletin suggests they are trying to rectify, but at least they are admitting to an underlying question.. :yes:

IMO you def would, but not at the mileages we are experiencing, If toyota had expected your EGR to clog up every 10,000 to 20,000mls then cleaning it would be part of the 20,000 service schedule, the fact that it isn't clearly demonstrates that your EGR valve is do'ing something unexpected, (ie a fault) :yes:

Good point which IMO goes to show that every car manufacturer is NOT having these problems, EGRs are causing problems on most cars, cleaning it every 50/100.000 is a minor problem, owners do'ing it themselves every 10.000 mls some on here even less IMO is not a minor problem..

Just to wind up, I am not technically minded and Anchs + most others on here have forgotten more than i will ever know, but every day of my life i am surrounded by 1000 diesel vehicles with engines ranging thru Ford, Nissan, Toyota, Chrysler VM, and years ago Rover, BMC etc and also versions of all of the above, and if anyone has a problem we all know about it, the only one of the above vehicles that had regular EGR problems was the Ford 2.4 duratorque, but again this was mostly around 50,000 mls not 10,000mls, also I can guarantee that 99% of those vehicles which average 50.000 mls a year have never been run on Super diesel (V Power etc) we simply cannot afford it.. All of the above just the opinion of a Thick cab driver with no mechanical knowledge :unsure: Stew

Out of interest Stew, in your experience, roughly what proportion of a Taxi's life is spent chugging round doing 'town' type driving as opposed to motorway speeds?