Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Check Out My Egr Valve

bluevortex

I have cleaned the EGR on my T180 4 times since I got it a year ago. First time I took it off it was pretty baked and the holes were blocked on the manifold. (obviously it had never been taken off and cleaned after 50,000 miles). The following 2 times I cleaned it, it was black but the holes were not blocked and it only took a quick wipe to clean it (no major build up of carbon like the first clean, just the odd chunk to scrape off) I have done 6000 miles since adding Greased Lightning and BD44. I have taken the EGR off this morning and its the cleanest it has looked. Just a pale charcoal colour with no soot build up at all. So, to me, the additives have worked and the car DEFFO runs better since I added the stuff. The car aint used a drop of oil since I got it either but it did have new piston rings on a few years ago for using oil.

So, for me, the additives are working. I added Greased Lightning first and noticed a big difference very soon after adding it. Smoother, faster and quieter. I added the BD44 shortly afterwards.

Also i suffered pinking (and still do from time to time) However it did pink all the time until I was advised to use better fuel. When I started doing this the pinking stopped. Somtimes it does come back but its not as bad and certainly not all the time which was the case before I started using Shell as a pose to Asdas fuel.

Apologies, Posted in answer to Davravs Question

Quite honestly, if a cab mainly works the Airport, then 50% would be motorway work, even the first 5mls into the city is fast motorway and we do occasionaly get long distance fares, My longest in 23yrs is Bournemouth, Cabs that mainy work the city would expect to do 10% motorway work, and TBH there doesn't seem to be a great difference in the faults we experience, Though obviously cabs working the city would go thru brakes clutches etc quicker, One thing i would point out these vehicles work every day, sometimes 24hrs a day (2 drivers) maybe the secret of a good diesel is to work it hard..Stew

One thing i would point out these vehicles work every day, sometimes 24hrs a day (2 drivers) maybe the secret of a good diesel is to work it hard..Stew

I think you may have 'hit the nail on the head' there Stew :thumbsup:

Ford 2.2 durotorq have EGR issues too, and it's more commonly mentioned if you compare forums. Only difference is that Ford doubled the price of replacements, so owners are now going to Jaguar for the same part at a better price, whereas Toyota are willing to look for a problem.

I still want to know if Toyota will replace my engine if the EGR is blocked at the next service. My oil still hasn't moved in the last 5000 miles, and power delivery is as good as ever.

Ford 2.2 durotorq have EGR issues too, and it's more commonly mentioned if you compare forums. Only difference is that Ford doubled the price of replacements, so owners are now going to Jaguar for the same part at a better price, whereas Toyota are willing to look for a problem.

I still want to know if Toyota will replace my engine if the EGR is blocked at the next service. My oil still hasn't moved in the last 5000 miles, and power delivery is as good as ever.

I think only Toyota can answer your specific question, My problem/worry is similar, I only do 5000pa in my car so oil is changed every 5000, therefore i have never experienced any oil loss, but i have also never cleaned my EGR, unusually for a low mileage car most of its mileage is long distance trips, (and i can drive enthusiasticaly :shutit: ) my fear is that if i do get a serious problem my car will be well past even the EXTD warranty when it happens :thumbsup: Stew

The car did run better and I suppose that could have been a placebo effect, but as it removed 2 physical issues, I think its unfounded to claim that I imagined the rest.

Fair comment. So it's possibly acting as a cleaning agent. I have my doubts about the mpg claims, other than perhaps it will restore the engine back to it's normal efficiency, if the thing is badly coked in the first place.

My vehicle has been mostly run on V power, almost all its journeys are >1hr and >20miles and as far as I'm concerned, BG made almost no difference in any respect. Draw your own conclusions...................

One thing i would point out these vehicles work every day, sometimes 24hrs a day (2 drivers) maybe the secret of a good diesel is to work it hard..Stew

I think you may have 'hit the nail on the head' there Stew :thumbsup:

So, presumably Stew, they are up to full working temperature most of the time? (Although I don't know how long your rank waiting time is).

my fear is that if i do get a serious problem my car will be well past even the EXTD warranty when it happens :thumbsup: Stew

Never worry worry, 'til worry worries you! :thumbsup:

The car did run better and I suppose that could have been a placebo effect, but as it removed 2 physical issues, I think its unfounded to claim that I imagined the rest.

Fair comment. So it's possibly acting as a cleaning agent. I have my doubts about the mpg claims, other than perhaps it will restore the engine back to it's normal efficiency, if the thing is badly coked in the first place.

My vehicle has been mostly run on V power, almost all its journeys are >1hr and >20miles and as far as I'm concerned, BG made almost no difference in any respect. Draw your own conclusions...................

I believe this is good evidence for both the additive, and premium fuels.

My Ford has done 65k when I bought it and the receipts I found under seats and in cubby holes pointed to supermarket fill ups. The BG244 worked on the Ford and cured an issue.

On the flip side, my Auris has been run exclusively on Shell fuel, and mostly Vpower, and there is no problem with it.

Maybe using premium fuel removed the need for premium additives?

When you think about it diesel essentialy an oil so there will allways be the need to clean egr valves at some point because there will always be carbon build up from it, but i think toyota are doing this because the engines are burning the oil, so if its burning oil then all its doing is producing ALOT mor carbon than diesel, i dont think this will ELIMINATE the problem after the rebuild, i just think it will HELP the problem, if your car soesnt use oil then chances are your egr will last longer than an egr on a car that does burn oil, id say leave your egr valves untill the power is sluggish or it throws a light up on the dash then go and get the rebuild done (unless your car is more than 7 years old or done more than 110,000)

Well I figure since ive cleaned out my EGR I may aswell go the whole hog and added a can of BG244 this afternoon. Im not sure if it's wishfull thinking but after 20 miles already noticing a better, smoother improved drive. So i asked my missus to drive (whilst I White knuckled) and she agreed it seemed a lighter drive and more responsive!!!

Get in

blue

Well I figure since ive cleaned out my EGR I may aswell go the whole hog and added a can of BG244 this afternoon. Im not sure if it's wishfull thinking but after 20 miles already noticing a better, smoother improved drive. So i asked my missus to drive (whilst I White knuckled) and she agreed it seemed a lighter drive and more responsive!!!

Get in

blue

Happy days mate :thumbsup:

I believe that its doing exactly what it says on the tin! I bought another 3 bottles of the stuff when they had there 20% off deal, so I've got a few years supply of the stuff now :toast:

I am going to get a can for my 2006 Golf, nearly 80k on the clock mainly supermarket fuel so would benefit from this treatment also!

Wish I'd seen the 20% offer, was this from the seller on eBay or elsewhere?

Blue

I am going to get a can for my 2006 Golf, nearly 80k on the clock mainly supermarket fuel so would benefit from this treatment also!

Wish I'd seen the 20% offer, was this from the seller on EBay or elsewhere?

Blue

I had an email from powerenhancer offering the deal as I'd bought some off there befor. They were also offering a "Free" oil testing kit to boot! Happy days :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links