Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pads And Discs

The Jackal

Hi,

For a Gen 7 (GT) what kind of prices should I expect for discs and pads? (From a Toyota Servicing Garage).

Also should I ask for a different make of pads from the stock ones, as I hear the stock ones are a bit soft?

This is all because I've noticed a scuffing noise from the rear and it appears the right back disc is slightly grooved where as the rest are smooth. (Even though the discs where changed last year, possible for them to skim the disc instead???)

Thanks

I don't know a lot about your model of car. But if your after a great set of Discs and pads then take a look at the MTEC site as you can get drilled and groved which look great and stop the car very well. I've put some on my Avensis T-180 and my VW Polo TDi. :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Although I'm probably going to stick with stock discs as I find generally the brakes stop the wheels ok, but it's more the tyres that have mediocre grip when wanting to stop quickly. (stock Pirelli's on front, Toyo on the back iirc). But was interested in pads as they seem to have worn reasonably quickly (18k miles)

I also seem to have a problem with the discs corroding a lot (hence the lot replaced last year). Perhaps I just don't brake hard enough most of the time. (old habit from my first car that took a week to stop :)

Cheers.

Thanks,

Although I'm probably going to stick with stock discs as I find generally the brakes stop the wheels ok, but it's more the tyres that have mediocre grip when wanting to stop quickly. (stock Pirelli's on front, Toyo on the back iirc). But was interested in pads as they seem to have worn reasonably quickly (18k miles)

I also seem to have a problem with the discs corroding a lot (hence the lot replaced last year). Perhaps I just don't brake hard enough most of the time. (old habit from my first car that took a week to stop :)

Cheers.

I think you'll find that the MTEC set up will be far cheaper than the stock ones from Mr T. I changed mine for 2 reasons really, the original discs and pads were awful and they just never felt that they would stop you, and also the corrosion. Thats why I went for the Black edition MTEC as this should help them look better for longer. :thumbsup:

Ah right, I see, they are a *lot* cheaper than stock which seem to be around the £90 inc Vat for a pair:

Toyota ones:

http://www.mtecbrakes.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=7656

Black Edition MTEC:

http://www.mtecbrakes.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=15181

However there seems to be no way to specify size/type of discs (Toyota back discs have drum in brake). OR is the first link actually the MTEC discs for the Celica? (Confused not half I am!)

Would a Toyota dealership source and fit these, or would I have to look somewhere else to have this done?

While I'm reasonably competent with a spanner, I wouldn't trust myself replacing the brakes and bleeding them properly, plus it looks better on the maintenance manual if and when you come to sell the car if an approved garage has done the work.

Cheers.

Ah right, I see, they are a *lot* cheaper than stock which seem to be around the £90 inc Vat for a pair:

Toyota ones:

http://www.mtecbrake...roducts_id=7656

Black Edition MTEC:

http://www.mtecbrake...oducts_id=15181

However there seems to be no way to specify size/type of discs (Toyota back discs have drum in brake). OR is the first link actually the MTEC discs for the Celica? (Confused not half I am!)

Would a Toyota dealership source and fit these, or would I have to look somewhere else to have this done?

While I'm reasonably competent with a spanner, I wouldn't trust myself replacing the brakes and bleeding them properly, plus it looks better on the maintenance manual if and when you come to sell the car if an approved garage has done the work.

Cheers.

If you give MTEC a ring and ask to speak to the lovely Claire you may well get a discount if you mention the forum. She will be able to tell you what you'll need. My T-180 had a inner brake shoe for the parking brake. But wasn't a problem for MTEC to get the correct discs to me for the car.

I din't think that a main dealer would fit the parts for you. But its worth an ask. But about £20 a corner at a local garage should be somewhere about right.

If you are near Cardiff I could help/show you how to do them. :thumbsup:

Firstly - The stock brakes on all Gen7 Celica's are crap! The average upgrade is EBC turbo discs with Red Stuff pads or better still Yellow.

My advice would be this -

Uprated discs

Uprated pads

Braided brake lines all round

dot 5.1 brake fluid

That will improve the braking great. Hell if you can afford it, stick on a Big Brake Kit and then you'll stop even better :thumbsup:

Well the dealership won't put anything on other than stock parts so I'm getting the local garage to have a look on Monday to see what needs changing.

Then I'll probably take it from there. I'm not going to go mad on upgrading as I want to save pennies for a holiday! :)

Any ideas if this will affect my insurance? Obviously I'm going to have to notify them about the change to still be insured, but will it raise or lower my premium?

Cheers.

Well the dealership won't put anything on other than stock parts so I'm getting the local garage to have a look on Monday to see what needs changing.

Then I'll probably take it from there. I'm not going to go mad on upgrading as I want to save pennies for a holiday! :)

Any ideas if this will affect my insurance? Obviously I'm going to have to notify them about the change to still be insured, but will it raise or lower my premium?

Cheers.

If you are changing the discs and pads to an after market brand such as MTEC or similar. You shouldn't have to inform the insurance because its the same as going to Halfords centres and having them supply and fit there discs and pads. Btw they tend to us Pagid products...

If fitting a direct replacement, the insurance do not need to be told as said by Mistermena. If its an upgraded part then yes you do, however I doubt your insurance would increase because at the end of the day, you are improving the cars safety.

not always the case , the faster you stop increases the risk of someone ramming your back end :crybaby::unsure: so to speak .

insurance companies will always argue the toss either way , if they can get out of paying out.

Well the garage said the back discs and pads are fine, just needed greasing and cleaning, but the front discs are corroded on the inside face and need replacing (which is what I suspected). They can't source MTEC (I'd have to get them) so have opted for the factory spec replacements by ADL. In the future when I have more pennies I may go for a full change and upgrade (braided lines etc).

Thanks

Well the garage said the back discs and pads are fine, just needed greasing and cleaning, but the front discs are corroded on the inside face and need replacing (which is what I suspected). They can't source MTEC (I'd have to get them) so have opted for the factory spec replacements by ADL. In the future when I have more pennies I may go for a full change and upgrade (braided lines etc).

Thanks

Dont understand why they cant get them from MTEC! But you could always order them(Its free delivery) and get them to fit. But good luck with it and I hope you get it sorted soon :thumbsup:

not always the case , the faster you stop increases the risk of someone ramming your back end :crybaby::unsure: so to speak .

insurance companies will always argue the toss either way , if they can get out of paying out.

But saying that its the drivers responsibility behind to make sure that they cant stop well within the distance they can see to be clear! And that stopping distance is depending on road, weather and traffic conditions...

But I know that some insurers will try anything to get out of paying up. But they are more than happy to take your money when you take a policy out!:crybaby:

I think it is because they are a small garage and only have stock replacements easy to hand.

No matter, if I was to upgrade the discs to MTEC etc I'd have to do all 4 not just the front two I guess!

I think it is because they are a small garage and only have stock replacements easy to hand.

No matter, if I was to upgrade the discs to MTEC etc I'd have to do all 4 not just the front two I guess!

I know of people who have different discs on the front as to the back (And visa versa) because of there personal choice and performace issues. But personaly I would prefer to have the same make of discs and pads all round. But thats just me. Its more likely that they can make more profit out of the ones they are supplying you and not getting the discount off companies like MTEC. You wouldn't believe how much these garages pay for discs compaired to joe public! Out of interest are they supplying you Pagid parts from Euro Car Parts?

But at least if you buy them from the garage, they will have to warrant the parts. But its a personal choice at the end of the day :thumbsup:

I have different discs & pads on the front to the back.

I'm running a BBK on the front & EBC discs with yellow stuff pads on the rear.

You'll be ok with the ADL pads, but they will be of OE grade (I work for ADL so therefore I know). Saying that the Gen7 brakes need improving and better discs, pads, lines & fluid does this.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links