Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Idle Control Valve/sensor Playing Up

lew518

hi peeps,

hoping someone can help. I own a rolla t sport and recently the idle has been changing reving up and down more so when hot. now my eml has come on and have had it read by a pal and its brought up a problem with the idle control unit. he has sugested i clean it out. however the sensor is held on with a 5 pointed star bit which i cannot seem to get from anywhere! :censor: . has anyone had the same problem and used a different tool, or just any sugestions on what to do please please help its driving me mad!!!.

hi peeps,

hoping someone can help. I own a rolla t sport and recently the idle has been changing reving up and down more so when hot. now my eml has come on and have had it read by a pal and its brought up a problem with the idle control unit. he has sugested i clean it out. however the sensor is held on with a 5 pointed star bit which i cannot seem to get from anywhere! . has anyone had the same problem and used a different tool, or just any sugestions on what to do please please help its driving me mad!!!.

star drive

give it a clean out with some brake cleaner and disconnect the Battery ( should get rid of the eml) then take it for a drive to see if the light comes back on :thumbsup:

thanks alot mate, are you sure those star drives have 5 points because most of them have six??

no probs mate. Sure there the right ones but just have a look on machine mart. They're similar to my ones. If not just use a small flat blade screwdriver

mines def not a torx bit its 5 sided, you can only get them off eBay. been to toyota aswell and they said we have never seen them and none of them had a tool and the sugested i drill the heads off. they would just replace the throttle body ;) thanks anyway mate.

lol i think i know what it is i reckon they are tamper proof ones so you have to take it to a garage. like this?13358-zhida-star-bit-tamper-torx-bits-security-5-point-6point-1.jpg

Can of carb cleaner using a soft paint brush and dont forget to reset ecu to clear stored values and this allows it to re-adapt whilst driving.

cleaned it out now, started it up then about 30 secs later eml come back on!!!! anyone any ideas???? please help!

nope just standard air filter :angry: . where could i get a new sensor or complete vavle and sensor?

got a valve for £30 on eBay hope it works!!. is it normal for the eml and vsc and trc light all to be on with a fault like this???? hope its not a wiring or ecu issue. I also have a new noise its high pitch whining coming from the left hand wheel arch when is start it when its cold?? can anybody help please??

that noise will be your secondary air pump mine does it a bit i took it of to check it and it was nice and free so just put it back .it only runs a short while to aid heating the engine up quicker.

• 1 month later...

If an Idle Control Valve hasn't been cleaned up, its quality becomes poor. For Toyota cars, it is designed and opearated with a magnetic non-motor idle control valve, Which basically needs to be cleaned every 40,000 miles it takes. So FYI, Use Aerosol Carburetor Cleaner for cleaning to inspect and to maintain cleanliness for the idle control valve. I hope i hope I answered your problem, somehow. :)

• 8 years later...

good day, my corolla has same problem. revs up and down on idle.5 point anti tamper spline tool available on e bay about a fiver my question is what does little plastic tag inside iac metal bit do and what position do you put it on when reassembling. also can I soak valve in carb cleaner;also I have read car has to relearn throttle setting and you have to turn ignition on and off in a sequence if Battery disconnected.will I have to do this as my Battery has been flat for a while. many thanks Chris.

Hi,

Which engine do you have  ?

When the Battery is out or flat for a long while the ECU looses its user settings so when you start up with a new Battery the idle is all over the place, but if you carry on driving it 'learns' after about 20 mins.

If still you have irratic tickover after that  initial 'learning' period then first worth doing a simple clean around the butterfly valve as there is always some build up around there - a can of Carb cleaner and a small brush should do it.

If all that fails , then  try the above posts.

thank you,i have 1600 engine,i have some carb cleaner on to little round piston I left fluid sitting on top to sink in it seems ok idling about 1000 but only tried  stationary fingers crossed Toyota want 460 quid, I might buy 2 and keep one as spare.   many thanks rustytoast

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links