Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wheel Tracking?alignment Or Balancing?

CUTEUKM786

Hey peeps

ive got a 2000 model yaris, when i accelerate fast the front end seems to slip and i need to correct the steering wheel just to try keeping it straight.

what could be causing this? is it wheel balancing? alignment? tracking?

the tyre thread is good, same problem hapens with brand new tyres :( just makes me a bit weary if i need to drive top end speed or need 2 accelerate fast.

any help would be great thanx

sounds like a wheel alignment issuse.

you havent kerb it?

have you changed your wheels or lowered it.

Nope havent curbed it, wheels are standard manufacturers alloys and it hasnt been lowered.

so u reckon its alignment? i dont wna go 2 a garage and do something when its not even needed lol

It might be worth having the tracking checked anyway. When was it last checked? Are the front tyre treads worn evenly across their width e.g worn more on one edge? The state our roads are now in with all the potholes and damage etc. make it more important to have tracking checked regularly.

Are your tyre pressures correct, particularly front left and right the same?

check tyre pressure weekly :) last time the tracking was done it didnt make any difference

Does it only happen when you accelerate really hard? You're not wheel-spinning it or somehow getting torque-steer are you?! :lol:

no wen im driving at top end speeds i can feel it moving around then aswel

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a while after you first posted but it does sound like torque-steer as someone else said. This used to be a problem on older front wheel drive drives such as the Austin 1800 type cars. Yes that old, like me!!!! Or models that were quite powerful. They would pull one way on acceleration and go the other way on de-acceleration. Not likely on a Yaris driven sensibly.

Tracking does not make a car pull to one side as is commonly thought. It will make your tyres wear quickly. You will see a feathered look to the tread. This could make the car pull a bit when wear becomes severe. Balance will not make it pull either. Uneven tyre pressure could do it but it would pull all the time. Hope this helps a bit.

Agree with everything gloucester has said, but also have the track rod ends, suspension components/bushes and steering rack checked for play. All would cause wander