Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Gearbox Oil

speedwaydthom

Have owned T4 Tourer (diesel) for 10 months now. Love car, especially after a 2000 mile return jouney to and from South of France. Fully laden, driver and 3 passengers, roof box and roof bike carrier - there and back without a murmur and even sat nav was up to date with recently constructed roads!

I am however now starting to detect a slight reluctance to change from 1st to 2nd gear for the first 10 minutes of driving, after which everything back to normal. Having spoken to Mr T, apparently there is no gearbox oil check on 1st service and on 2nd service only a check on level.

Have read one article posted by "Honest John" in Daily Telegraph that gearbox oil should be replaced after 12 months to remove any small metal filings which could get trapped in bearings.

Would appeciate any observations from forum members who may have experienced similar issue (if it is an issue) or can cast any light on the quality of the oil used and its durability. I like to treat my gearbox with a certain amount of tenderness, but do tend to put it through its paces particularly on long journies where you need to keep up with fast flowing traffic.

Have owned T4 Tourer (diesel) for 10 months now. Love car, especially after a 2000 mile return jouney to and from South of France. Fully laden, driver and 3 passengers, roof box and roof bike carrier - there and back without a murmur and even sat nav was up to date with recently constructed roads!

I am however now starting to detect a slight reluctance to change from 1st to 2nd gear for the first 10 minutes of driving, after which everything back to normal. Having spoken to Mr T, apparently there is no gearbox oil check on 1st service and on 2nd service only a check on level.

Have read one article posted by "Honest John" in Daily Telegraph that gearbox oil should be replaced after 12 months to remove any small metal filings which could get trapped in bearings.

Would appeciate any observations from forum members who may have experienced similar issue (if it is an issue) or can cast any light on the quality of the oil used and its durability. I like to treat my gearbox with a certain amount of tenderness, but do tend to put it through its paces particularly on long journies where you need to keep up with fast flowing traffic.

toyota dont recommend a gearbox oil oil change at all in normal use at all, but only advise if vehicle is used in severe conditions then oil is changed every 48 months.

as to any metal filings (if thats likly)they would settle at the bottom of the box out of harms way.no harm in changing oil though,but keep to toyota spec given in handbook

not unusuel for boxes to be a little stiff when cold (worse in winter)some are,some are not.

My Avensis has always been a bit sticky changing from 1st to 2nd since I got it (with 12k miles on the clock). Also when selecting 1st while stationary it occassionally nudges or rocks the car forwards ever so slightly as though the clutch is dragging. According to Mr T there is 'no fault found'. I sometimes double declutch between 1st & 2nd and always take slightly longer to make the change ie out of 1st, pause, feed it into 2nd gradually feeling for when it starts to slide in without resistance. If you are caning it double declutching gets you up the box much quicker without undue strain on the synchromesh.

I suspect that chaniging your gearbox oil will simply cost you money without solving the problem.

I dont like leaving a gearbox oil in for more than 50000miles. Some manufactures have these"Sealed for life" crap boxes that dont need to be serviced. Dont believe it !... If it has a filler/level plug it can be drained even if it doesn't have a drain plug. But if I were you I'd change the box oil as its really easy to do and you'll find that you wont have any problems when trying to get into 1st/2nd gear when cold.

I use Silkolene SRG 75w pro racing gearbox oil. Its a full Ester oil and the car just changes gear like it should now. Btw you can buy it from places like Opie Oils online. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Not easy to find but information is in your owners manual but no Not under Capacities nor gearbox but under "SPECIFICATIONS" which is listed in the alphabetical index.

For Gearbox Oil in a 2010 manual it's page 652 and for a 2012 it's page 737, but just in case anyone has not got a manual, Petrol & Diesel engines use the same Manual Gearbox oil, Toyota recommends "Genuine Manual Transmission Oil"

Specification is API GL4 SAE 75w Capacity Petrol 2.4 Ltrs Diesel 2.3 Ltrs.

Hope this saves a few of you doing a long research on the web getting nowhere.

All the Best,

Mel Tinys Taxis Ltd Hitchin.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
On 5/5/2011 at 8:07 PM, Mistermena said:

I dont like leaving a gearbox oil in for more than 50000miles. Some manufactures have these"Sealed for life" crap boxes that dont need to be serviced. Dont believe it !... If it has a filler/level plug it can be drained even if it doesn't have a drain plug. But if I were you I'd change the box oil as its really easy to do and you'll find that you wont have any problems when trying to get into 1st/2nd gear when cold.

I use Silkolene SRG 75w pro racing gearbox oil. Its a full Ester oil and the car just changes gear like it should now. Btw you can buy it from places like Opie oils online. :thumbsup:

Hi , I am having the same issue , stated above, my Avensis  T27 estate has 98k miles, and just wondering about the Silkolene Pro SRG 75 as it is described as a  motorcycles  gear oil. So is it good for my Toyota Avensis T27  estate  year 2012 ??? Better then Toyota OEM gear oil?

My understanding was that when Fuchs bought Silkolene that it became Fuchs Titan Race SRG 75. The possibility therefore exists that the current Silkolene Pro SRG 75 is not the same as it was in 2011 - you might want to check with them.

12 hours ago, Heidfirst said:

My understanding was that when Fuchs bought Silkolene that it became Fuchs Titan Race SRG 75. The possibility therefore exists that the current Silkolene Pro SRG 75 is not the same as it was in 2011 - you might want to check with them.

What I read on their website seems to be the same oil but different brand . What I ask if this oil is suitable for the T25 estate diesel ? 

I had Titan Race SRG 75 put in my 2012 2.2 manual (think it was in 2014), was still running fine when I traded it in a few months ago.

On 2/15/2018 at 6:25 PM, Heidfirst said:

I had Titan Race SRG 75 put in my 2012 2.2 manual (think it was in 2014), was still running fine when I traded it in a few months ago.

I appreciate all your answers.  Can I ask why did you buy this Titan Race oil, and not the OEM Toyota oil ??

had used it (in Silkolene form) in my T25, recommended by previous user(s) & it was a straight 75W whereas if I remember Toyota at the time was using a 75W-90, resulting in an improved change.

I believe that Toyota also changed to a straight 75W in production but again I noticed a slight improvement in change quality in my T27 (that 6-speed box is known to be graunchy, particularly into 2nd, from cold).

50 minutes ago, Heidfirst said:

had used it (in Silkolene form) in my T25, recommended by previous user(s) & it was a straight 75W whereas if I remember Toyota at the time was using a 75W-90, resulting in an improved change.

I believe that Toyota also changed to a straight 75W in production but again I noticed a slight improvement in change quality in my T27 (that 6-speed box is known to be graunchy, particularly into 2nd, from cold).

Thank you . will try and post some pictures.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, my T25 2.2 has a similar reluctance between first and second and second and first, especially in the winter months, for the first few miles. In fact I have to match the revs just to get a clean shift even with the clutch pedal fully pressed. I got my T25 with 64k miles and it was nochy back then to change gear, it has done 151k now.

On 3/1/2018 at 9:39 PM, Amateurtorque said:

Hi, my T25 2.2 has a similar reluctance between first and second and second and first, especially in the winter months, for the first few miles. In fact I have to match the revs just to get a clean shift even with the clutch pedal fully pressed. I got my T25 with 64k miles and it was nochy back then to change gear, it has done 151k now.

Hi AmateurTorque, thanks for the amswer, much appreciated, can I ask you if you did a full flush or just used the drain cap?

Hi Ice,

do you mean on my gearbox, I've never drained the gearbox.

Matt

On 3/12/2018 at 9:40 PM, Amateurtorque said:

Hi Ice,

do you mean on my gearbox, I've never drained the gearbox.

Matt

I mean transmission oil.

Hi Ice,

I havent drained or flushed the gearbox oil, only checked the level.

i should really drain it and replace the oil at some point.

Matt 

• 1 year later...

Hi,I got a 2010 Avensis and changing from 1st to second is always a clunky change. It has 230,000 miles. Anyone suggest what the problem is? Answers would be appreciated. 

Probably your driving habits, you shift either too early, or too slow, so the rpm drop too much.

6 hours ago, Watty1963 said:

Hi,I got a 2010 Avensis and changing from 1st to second is always a clunky change. It has 230,000 miles. Anyone suggest what the problem is? Answers would be appreciated. 

Hi Kevin, welcome to TOC 🙂

If it's a diesel that box is always notchy. Do you know if it has had a transmission oil change at any point?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2007 T25 diesel, 6 speed and have always had some difficulty shifting from 1st to 2nd when cold, particularly in winter. I have changed the gearbox oil a couple of times and found that fresh oil seems to help a bit, always used the LV 75W from Toyota. Car is used as a taxi so needs some changes, now on 200k miles.

Getting the revs up to about 2400rpm before going for the change helps prevent crunching from 1st to 2nd, or taking out of 1st then moving gearstick across the gate and back before selecting 2nd. Once warmed up no problem.

I have some Motul 75w80 gear oil and am going to give it a try, supposed to be good for hard to shift gearboxes. I find the 75w is fine but when driving for extended periods I get a bit of whining from the gearbox, hoping that might go away with the Motul too.

Hi all,

i have never attempted to change the gearbox oil, is it difficult, does anyone have a picture or a diagram which nut to drain?

cheers

Matt

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2019 at 9:43 PM, Amateurtorque said:

Hi all,

i have never attempted to change the gearbox oil, is it difficult, does anyone have a picture or a diagram which nut to drain?

cheers

Matt

Been meaning to do this for a while, so here is a terrible video ( I forgot the action cam and the phone I used cost forty quid new, lol) of the fill and drain bolts. The oil change changed the feel of all the gears, first and second are now easy to select. The higher gears used to seem smoother to select, but are now a more positive change. That is, there is now a little bit of a click or snap as the gear selects. Before, it would slip in feeling smoother, but no positive indication that the gear had selected. I just used Triple QX 75W GL4 from Eurocarparts. Product code was 522776272. I'd probably try the posh stuff mentioned earlier in the thread if I was to change it again, just to see if there was any noticeable difference.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2019 at 6:24 AM, paul9 said:

Been meaning to do this for a while, so here is a terrible video ( I forgot the action cam and the phone I used cost forty quid new, lol) of the fill and drain bolts. The oil change changed the feel of all the gears, first and second are now easy to select. The higher gears used to seem smoother to select, but are now a more positive change. That is, there is now a little bit of a click or snap as the gear selects. Before, it would slip in feeling smoother, but no positive indication that the gear had selected. I just used Triple QX 75W GL4 from Eurocarparts. Product code was 522776272. I'd probably try the posh stuff mentioned earlier in the thread if I was to change it again, just to see if there was any noticeable difference.

Hi. I have an T27 is this procedure valid for the 6 speed manual avensis 2009? Anybody has done this and has some tips or pictures? I cannot find the fill plug