Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Gearbox Oil

speedwaydthom

Hi, I have always changed my gearbox oil at the recommended (?) interval of 40,000 miles. Last did this back in May using Triple QX75x/90 semi-synthetic oil souced through CP4L. The job is simple, but messy. Before starting the job you need to locate the drain and filler plugs, both are 24mm. You will also need a container - a squeezy container of sorts to pump the new oil into the box, as you cannot gravity feed with the containers you are given. I use an old plastic container with an extended plastic tube, but you may be be able to get an oil pump of sorts.

I did partial changes to both cars even that is quite time consuming using a large syringe I would pop the top part out of the syringe than put a funnel into the syringe and fill up the syringe, than I would take the funnel out, and put back the syringe top part and gently squeeze. Very simple using millers semi synthetic oil which was both gl4 ang gl5.

Hi David,

My 2.2 D4D is almost 15 years old. I've owned it for 12 of those years.

As soon I bought the car, I experienced the same problem as you have. It was a Toyota dealership bought car. 

What I've always done when first driving when the gearbox cold, is when changing from first to second gear is the move the gear nob to neutral and move the gear nob

From right to left just like you do when making sure your in neutral and then go into second gear. Essentially, your just allowing time for the RPM to drop sufficiently to engage second gear without  that "metal crunch" to occur.

Like you I treat my gearbox gently.

Using this method to change from first to second gear has always worked for me.

Have never changed the gearbox oil, just treat the gearbox gently.

Hope this helps.

Peter

after clutch  i recently put engine oil in my box for 100 miles to flush it it worked like silk with engine oil but not to tempt fate replaced it with a gl4 75/80 .

many gm and ford manual boxes run on atf it gets round all bearings and components and light / less power drag from transmission.

if it can take the pressure on bearings and gears from autoboxes over 500nm easy and manual transits lugging over 3500kgs day in day out its well over rated for a normal car.

just need to make sure all trans seals are good

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 months later...
On 7/31/2019 at 8:15 PM, Floryn said:

Hi. I have an T27 is this procedure valid for the 6 speed manual avensis 2009? Anybody has done this and has some tips or pictures? I cannot find the fill plug 

Hi,

I also have a T27 D-CAT and looking around the engine bay it seems a bit different.

Reaching the top bolt will be a lot of work since there is the Battery and some metal pipe in the way. From under the car, plastic protections at least.

I have been searching online for any videos or pictures before I buy the oil but so far had no luck.

I removed the plastic undertrays from my car, as they were hanging off and loosely fastened with cable ties. I changed the oil from underneath the car, using a gear oil filler tube from another brand's bottle of gear oil that a friend had handy.

1 hour ago, paul9 said:

I removed the plastic undertrays from my car, as they were hanging off and loosely fastened with cable ties. I changed the oil from underneath the car, using a gear oil filler tube from another brand's bottle of gear oil that a friend had handy.

Thanks. Will give it a go. I do have an oil pump I can try to use to fill in oil.

I usually replace the plastic clips (buy from eBay 20pcs for £3.50.

Lol, I had replaced the clips on the top engine covers, and the next day had to take them back off again. After another time taking them off, I got so annoyed that I left the clips out by the third time and now the top covers are held on solely by a wing nut and a large washer at the Battery cover. Works fine for me.

I was thinking of using my little electric oil pump to change the gearbox oil, but didn't know if I would have enough control with it to not make a mess, so I just used the filler cap. It's a pity that the oil I got didn't have a filler cap, but I suppose it helps cheapen the product for the manufacturer and then they can tell a fib and say that they were mainly concerned about cutting down on waste plastic in the environment, when using a metal or glass container would be better for that. 😉

I retro fitted a oil heater into my gearbox which brings the oil up temp and then switches off giving silky smooth changes from ice cold .it pre heats for an hour on a timer circuit from the house then I just disconnect the plug and lead at the cars grill I fit the plug cover jump in start the car and it's give a perfect gear change .

• Like 1

I was wondering just how cold a climate you live in to warrant that kind of system. Berkshire doesn't strike me as being particularly needy of that, though, lol. Might be a good idea for the engine oil, too. I know that some planes used an oil preheat system.

Ha ha sorry I was having a joke with you guys the only fix for the notchy gearchange from cold is switch to a single weight oil 75w gl4 synthetic oil .

• Haha 1

🤣  Still not a bad idea here in the High Peak! In Calgary/Toronto etc. transport system and long stay car parking have a plug in point in each bay for plugging in Engine/g/box heaters whilst parked up for the day.

• 5 months later...

Can anyone advise on how much transmission oil a manual avensis 2.0 d4d takes? Car is a 2013 model 

2.4lt of API GL4 SAE 75w Oil required

• 11 months later...

Hi,

Where I can find a breather/ventilation from Avensis STW d4d 2.0 2010 diesel 6-speed manual gearbox?

I have a oil leak problem. It appears more, when I drive long distances. The leak seams to be somewhere on top of the gear box. Not on drive shaft inserts.

The leak has been there two years now and I have refilled the gear box oil level on every maintenance/ every 10 000 miles. 

Br. Jari 

• 1 year later...

hello guys quick question if anyone knows a 2014 toyota avensis with the 2.0d4d engine with 6 speed manual gearbox engine code 1adftv 

im wondering what oil do i need to get to put in it and where if any ideas to get it my toyota stealer looking for £54 quid for 3 quarts 

1 hour ago, 2009joe said:

hello guys quick question if anyone knows a 2014 toyota avensis with the 2.0d4d engine with 6 speed manual gearbox engine code 1adftv 

im wondering what oil do i need to get to put in it and where if any ideas to get it my toyota stealer looking for £54 quid for 3 quarts 

Either get genuine Toyota 75W LV manual transmission gear oil, or any gear oil that meets SAE 75W and GL-4 spec.

You will need 2.3 litres

Example - https://www.car-parts.ie/car-parts/febi-bilstein/p-7019451

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Oisin said:

Either get genuine Toyota 75W LV manual transmission gear oil, or any gear oil that meets SAE 75W and GL-4 spec.

You will need 2.3 litres

Example - https://www.car-parts.ie/car-parts/febi-bilstein/p-7019451

thanks so much my 2014 car just turned 50k on 6  speed gearbox and the 2.0d4d engine 1adftv   do you think that should be changed at 50k and again at 100k

20 hours ago, 2009joe said:

thanks so much my 2014 car just turned 50k on 6  speed gearbox and the 2.0d4d engine 1adftv   do you think that should be changed at 50k and again at 100k

Toyota say there is no need to change it at all.  But you are doing no harm by changing it.  It's up to you how often.

After stated milage or time in years.

I change gear oil when its hot but not to hot to work on use correct grade oil and new oil seals.

Fill up to high level plug torque setting both plugs is 39Nm.

1 hour ago, Oisin said:

Toyota say there is no need to change it at all.  But you are doing no harm by changing it.  It's up to you how often.

i ordered genuine gear oil from toyota today 3 l think takes less but got it il do it just keep gearbox running great its got 50k on the clock so that l do to 100k  just trying to look after the car as tbh the new ones im sure are no good and well the older ones are a dying breed now so hope to be driving it for a really long time 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 2009joe said:

i ordered genuine gear oil from toyota today 3 l think takes less but got it il do it just keep gearbox running great its got 50k on the clock so that l do to 100k  just trying to look after the car as tbh the new ones im sure are no good and well the older ones are a dying breed now so hope to be driving it for a really long time 

Take the car for a drive before you change the oil so that it will flow better when warm.

Make sure to take the fill bolt off before the drain bolt, as you will be in bother if you drop the oil then you can't refill.

• Thanks 2

Hi,

I too have had reluctance of the gears to move from first to second gear. What works for me, is to move the gear nob from the first gear position to the neutral position, pause for just a moment, then select second gear. I’ve done this for years with success. Never changed the oil.